Problem/Bug YAML Parser errors

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Slinning, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Slinning

http://pastebin.com/T63ZzxiT
    Hello! Im stuck at managing permissions with groupmanager and i was wondering if anyone here with a little bit more experience could help me out? :D
    I get a ton of errors at the YAML Parser and i cant figure out what it is

Thanks,
    Slinning

2. Offline

Boomer

You have a major alignment problem with your inheritance or info sections for most groups - not spaced far enough over.
    Once all those blocks are correctly aligned, you then get an error about the undesirable character in - *
    because as a permission node in the yml, it needs to be - '*'

3. Offline

Slinning

I have no clue how to fix this you mind helping me out? Id be really thankfull :l

4. Offline

Boomer

Look at the pastebin file, I'll use those numbers for reference
    lines 11 to 14 are fine - groups: then next level in is 2 more spaces (the group name) default: then two more spaces in for the properties of that group, and then all the permission nodes have the - lined up with the first letters of this block, aka 4 spaces. Everything in the default group is fine (except - factionsjoin is not a valid nodename and might as well be deleted), and the inheritance block comes next, its fine, and all the - g:groups that are within it are appropriately formatted. The info: section contains key-value data pairs, not just a list like permissions and inheritance, so its contents are indented TWO MORE spaces, as you have done.

Next group, Coal (line 67) everything is fine there - all the indentation levels are set correctly for everything

Iron group, fine. Gold - look at your inheritance and info sections (lines 100 - 105) and see how they are all way out of proper formatting - everything is AT LEAST one space missing, some still need more after that.

Diamond group, permissions are fine, but again, your inheritance and following sections are misaligned again and need at least one or more spaces to fix them (121 to 126)

Moderator group - looks fine

Admin group: Formatting is fine. Once you fix all the alignment issues, and put it through a yaml file parser, or run the server, you would no longer get error messages about block starting and block-ending issues, etc. However, you would get an error about a string character issue on line 141, the - * permission. You cant have * by itself, it needs to be - '*' http://yaml-online-parser.appspot.com/
    Fix that then all your other errors are gone.

It is NOT hard to fix alignment issues - one needs simply to look at the file in a fixed-proportion text font like Courier, or post into pastebin and let it format it as such - then you position your cursor on the one intentation level, and scroll through the document, and they stand out as being left of your cursor (or too far right)

5. Offline

Slinning

il litteraly pay you 5 bucks if you do this for me, i just cant seem to understand this at all

6. Offline

Boomer

Go line by line through your file
    you should have no spaces for groups:
    you should have 2 spaces infront of each rankname
    you should have 4 spaces in front of each group's "default: true/false" entry
    you should have 4 spaces in front of each group's "permission: " , "inheritance: " and "info:"
    you should have 4 spaces in front of each group's "- blahblah" for permissions and inheritances
    you should have 6 spaces in front of each group's info block data (prefix, suffix, build)

My company bills my time out at $200/hr so no $5 for my time offer will make me do your work, just to have you learn nothing and run into the same problem less than 24h later. Invest time into learning this. If you can not understand this detailed breakdown of what you need to do and can not figure out how to correlate this information with the descriptions provided earlier when solving your issue, then by all means, I will let you pay me $200 to do your work.

7. Offline

Slinning

Well my file seems to be about right following your explenation about spacing and such, cant see anything wrong with inheritance

8. Offline

Boomer

Then you are blind, esp when you can see plain as day in the pastebin how parts of your text go in and out of alignment with the rest that should be at the same level of indentation as them, even when outlined what sections are okay and what are bad..

9. Offline

oceantheskatr

Dayum, what's your job? :eek:

10. Offline

Boomer

Failure analysis investigation for biopharma - aka Troubleshooting expert

11. Offline

oceantheskatr

Makes sense that you help out on here then :p That's really cool though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.