Xmx Parameter Ingored?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by bassfader, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

bassfader

Hello everyone,

I've got a weird problem using CraftBukkit. I am starting my Server using the following command:
    java -d64 -Xincgc -Xmx1536M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar nogui

But even though I've specified the maximum Ram to 1.5GB according to the -Xmx Parameter, the memory usage of the Server keeps growing above that limit. And its not just a bit above the limit, when I haven't restarted the server for 2 days it even went up to 2GB Memory usage....

Is debian's "top" command inaccurate and shows me wrong values, or is it me doing something wrong?
    Shouldn't java be stopping the "memory growth" and do some more GC'ing when reaching the limit I specified in the -Xmx Parameter?

I have Debian Lenny (5.x) installed on my Server and I am using the Sun / Oracle Java package, not the OpenJDK.

Thank you very much in advance for any answers, if someone could help I'd really appreciate it :)

Anybody please? I am pretty clueless what to do and sine my server (currently) has only 2GB of RAM (I know thats not really much xD) I'd really appreciate any help.

BTW: I'm running on a 64bit Debian and also have 64bit Java installed

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  2. Offline

ichingpow

3. Offline

bassfader

Thanks! Going to give it a try ASAP :)

4. Offline

bassfader

I've tried you're guide, it did make my server's memory usage grow much slower, but after about 1.5 days it now starts to grow beyond the limit I set as Xmx parameter.

I am having Oracle Java 1.7 64bit, and running a Debian Lenny (5.0) 64bit as mentioned before. I now have a much much longer command for starting the server (taken from ichingpow's guide):
    Code:
    java -Xmx1536M -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -server -Xincgc -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=4m -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar nogui
    Anybody know what I am doing wrong here? I'd really like to not need to restart the server once a night... or do I really need to setup a CronJob or something like that for this? How do other Bukkit users manage that?

5. Offline

ichingpow

Yes, I would recommend to use MineSheller ;)

I personally use MCMA which has better garbage collection for some reason. It also restarts server once a day for me. The main reason I use it is because of automatic crash detection and recovery.

6. Offline

bassfader

Ahh well.... I hoped I could avoid this somehow.... but well I guess I need to xD

But thanks for pointing me to Minecraft Sheller, seems to be a nice shell script, will definately take a look at that. But I think I'm going to write my own one, since I don't need that much features and I then also have more control over what it actually does ^^ (And I'm learning something too :))

7. Offline

ichingpow

Yes, it's a nice script. I used it before MCMA. I highly recommend you copy and paste parts of it for your own script because it's really good.

Sorry, I meant MC Sheller. Here.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  8. Offline

bassfader

Thanks for posting the link, but uncle google helped me find it pretty quick :)
    Yeah I'm definately going to copy some parts here and there, but first I'll try to understand them ^^

Thank you very much for helping me out here ;)

9. Offline

odielag

taken from http://rimuhosting.com/knowledgebase/linux/java/-Xmx-settings

10. Offline

bassfader

Thanx for pointing me to that, I guess I'd never have found it by myself ^^

I've setup a cronjob now to restart the server once a day, also I am going to upgrade my server soon to 4GB Ram which is hopefully enough for what I need :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.