World generation, structures greater than a chunk

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by DeMaggo, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DeMaggo

Greetings everyone,

I'm planning some sort of basic mod for a server I'm working on and need a custom world generator for that. Creating the basic buildup won't be hard, but when it comes to structures that are part of more than one chunk, I'm quite unsure how to do that properly.
    The basic populators would allow me to run over several chunks to create greater structures, like ore vains. But if it goes to regeneration and map extension later on, I'm not clear on how to do that properly in order to avoid cuts from the second "runover". Can someone point me out what methods are common in case there are any?

Thanks in advance
    DeMaggo

Tagging: codename_B

2. Offline

codename_B

DeMaggo depending on the complexity of the populator, it may be necessary to sacrifice full regeneration ability for complexity of structure.

3. Offline

DeMaggo

Thank you for your reply. I've been looking up some more and I'm wondering how exactly these blockpopulators work. They seem to be limited to single chunks, so I'm wondering how to handle this exactly. Are the shafts in the classic generator done by these populators as well? They fit into each other, so...

€dit: I might have found a solution to this.

4. Offline

codename_B

Hope your solution worked!

5. Offline

DeMaggo

It will work, the first pieces are already put together. The complexity is kinda high, though.
    Blockpopulators will most likely not be used.

6. Offline

MUG806

Hey, I was actually being stumped over the same (or a similar) problem. I too was planning to make a generator and I just cant think of any way to make chunks join up neatly, seeing as how they are generated one by one. If anyone can throw any light on of this can be done/works in vanilla Minecraft, that would be awesome.

7. Offline

MUG806

Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.