[WIP] [Tool] Vps Prep :>

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by joshua katz, Nov 23, 2011.

?

What would you like more.

1. All this to be in the Install script.sh [All the backup scripts and everything]

100.0%
  2. More options

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A Gui[ncurses makes me :< but it will do]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Make a cake[not a lie{kind of a lie<ok a lie>}]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

joshua katz

• adfly is not allowed
    Hello I am gravypod.
    A friend and I are working on a shell script to fully setup a VPS to be ready to be given to a client! We wouldn't mind a few extra hands! We are FAAAAR from being done. If you would like to test this [it most likely wont work] and send us the errors you get we'd be very great full.

Link to our git-hub!
    https://github.com/minecraftdirectq/vps-shell-scripts

Thank you for reading!

p.s. If you would like to help add me on Skype, I'm gpodkatz

mod edit: links removed

2. Offline

NixonInnes

I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I've set up minecraft servers a number of times on various dedicated and virtual servers, I've often thought about writing a bash script to labour the task for me.
    I think this script would be very useful to users who are moving from a home hosted solution to a professional server.

Some of my thoughts on the script:
    I don't think that the non-free packages are included by default on a lot of debian distro's, and I believe the Sun JRE is non-free.

I think you should note to users that your script is for Debian based OS's; possibly you could expand into Redhat, SuSe, Arch etc systems too. (Here's a handy link if you do https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta). You will no doubt have to do some research into different distro's repo's.

I don't think a GUI would be useful, because the majority of users will have to access their server via SSH.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like scripts which download and use other scripts. I understand it's probably to simply to shorten the setup script, but I think it would be better either to package all the files together (in a tarball) or have the setup script create the files.

I personally create a system user to run the minecraft server, and a group of users with permissions to the server. It makes managing the server with a group of administrators more tidy; perhaps you could include this?

I also don't think all the "sudo" are necessary or tidy. You should simply add a check at the beginning of the script to check whether the script is being run as a root user.

Hey, why not go all out and add the option of setting up a ramdisk for the minecraft world directory :)

3. Offline

Greylocke

you might want to check the methods used to install MineOS CRUX.

It might give you some ideas about how you do or don't want your process to work.

4. Offline

joshua katz

Thank you for your contribution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.