[WIP]GroupPermissions - Brought to you by the First Permissions Plugin!

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by rmb938, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

rmb938

Tired of .yml files and getting your tabs and spaces confused? Tired of all the current permissions plugins that are complex and hard to use? Well now you no longer have to deal with any of that!

Brought to you by the creator of the first permissions plugin for Bukkit! GroupPermissions is here to give you easy to use config files in simple text format, easy to use commands, plug and play setup as well as integration with Bukkit SuperPerms!

Our Goal
    GroupPermissions will give you a easy to use permission plugins with no confusion, no headaches and easy setup! GroupPermissions will also include advanced features that can greatly increase speed and efficiency in managing your permissions!

Planned Features
    • Easy to use config files (config.txt, worldinheritance.txt, [groupname].txt(per world and group), and users.txt(per world))
    • Easy to use commands that allow quick access and management to permissions
    • FULL MySQL support that is fast, easy and simple to use
    • NO YAML files! You no longer need to worry about if you used a tab or a space ever again!
    BukkitDev Page: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/grouppermissions/

Development of this plugin will start on January 7th and if you have any ideas for features to add please post bellow!

My previous WIP plugins haven't gone any were due to time issues but now I am back! I am back to were I started with my first plugin which was the first permissions plugin! I am making this plugin due to the lack of easy to use permissions systems for new players as well as lack of mysql support in these plugins.

GroupPermissions will be the revolution in easy to use permission systems and new server owners will be able to download this plugin and instantly be able to configure this plugin with no issues or problems that plague new server owners with YAML files.

Also I know many of you will not like this project due to the many permissions plugins out there but I guarantee GroupPermissions will make permissions one hundred percent easier to use for everyone!

2. Offline

codename_B

Why not help make an existing permissions plugin "less complex" rather than starting a new one?

I always welcome devs to my team, plus you'd have a codebase to start from.

I'd be interested to know how you plan to make commands "less complex" too?

DrAgonmoray and TheFieldZy like this.
  3. Offline

TheFieldZy

This. First, as a server admin, permission files are never confusing for me. And there are quite a few permission plugins already.

4. Offline

rmb938

Well unless its a major project I prefer to work alone. I am not saying dev teams are bad I actually like working in a team on projects and such. Permissions systems in my opinion are very small compared to how huge and complex a plugin can be made and should not really require a dev team. This is just my opinion however so don't take it personal or anything.

Also right now I am just working on basic concepts to how the plugin will work. I don't have access to my main pc till this weekend so I haven't actually started to work on any actual code yet.

5. Offline

codename_B

Trust me, if you're doing it right, permissions is a major project.

DrAgonmoray likes this.
  6. Offline

jasvecht

You must be friends with Steve Jobs.

Enter an over saturated market with big promises, less features and a product simplified for the idiots >.>

Good luck but there's more then enough already.

7. Offline

rmb938

Thanks.

The first bleeding edge build should be out by 12AM on January 8th if I am not to tired from my 6 hour train ride. Not to be cocky or anything as stated the first permissions plugin was created by my self. Yes I admit it was horribly coded but it worked when bukkit needed a permissions system and until permissionsEX it was the only system that worked 100% with mysql.

I am not trying to make this system I am creating rule over permissions. I am not trying to convince anyone to use it.

What I am trying to do is to have a system that is simple to use, simple to configure and appeals to the server market. Every day there are kids ages 12-15 that what to start minecraft servers using bukkit. They have the dream running a major server but then that dream is crushed because of all the different permissions systems with a new yaml type config that many if not all of them have never seen before.

This system is meant to fix that. To help the kids who want to start a server and have a great dream. This will be the easiest to use permissions system since I released the first one almost exactly one year ago.

You do not have to like this project or even support it. However you need to realize that this will help the kid out there that has a dream of a major server.

Also Steve Jobs was an amazing man. The only thing I own Apple is a iPhone and I am not a fan boy. I don't like apple that much. But Steve Jobs had a dream when he released the first Apple Computer. Affordable and easy to use. Apple is no way affordable but they are easy to use.

This plugin represents the ease of use a permissions system should be. Permissions do NOT need yaml files, prefixes, group inheritance, and all this other non sense devs put in them.

This plugin will only have these features nothing else: simple and precise text files, world inheritance and permissions defined for groups and users as well as mysql. The only reason I include mysql as a option is because I personally love mysql but it also is faster and allows many more applications to interact with it.

8. Offline

jasvecht

A kid who can't be arsed to do such an important thing properly, should not be having a server. Theres a reason developers made their plugins expanded like this. They certainly don't like using more resources or doing more work ;)

Ah well, good luck. I personally don't think every kid should be given a chance to waste time and money to fail. Let them fail early on, so they don't have to taste it late and painful.

9. Offline

codename_B

@rmb938 I look forward to seeing your work. Mind sharing some command ideas? I've spent a good while super-simplifying the commands of the new bPermissions, so if there's anything you have thought of that I've missed then that'd be cool to think about.

As for MySQL you're totally misunderstanding the point of MySQL, it's not meant for small datasets like permissions, it's just NOT. I don't know why so many kids think MySQL is great, cross-application communication can be so much more efficient and sensible than using MySQL as a go-between, hell, even for a web interface you don't need MySQL (I proved this with bPermissionsWebGUI).

But, as always, I hope to be proved wrong in my conceptions about you. Once I see some code, and a working model, I'll make my thoughts known.

EDIT: mhm? http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/inactive-admn-groups-group-user-permissions.234/
    Grand ideas are one thing, but in theory you should have a years more coding experience, so we'll see.

10. Offline

rmb938

I completely understand MySQL is not meant for small datasets and such and really the IO time for a flatfile and the access time of a MySQL database of this small size does not make a significant difference in most servers.

It all goes by preference. I personally find mysql easier to work with then using flat files but again that is just me since I have used mysql since I started java back in 2004. Some people like mysql over flat file and I just happen to be one of those people.

Commands I have not thought of yet, we may find out that the commands you have for bpermissions are as simple as you can get them and if so great.

Since I do not have access to my main pc I can't type any code till the end of day Saturday(7th) so right now I have just been working on the layout of the text files them selves.

That link that you posted was my first plugin as well as bukkit's first permissions system so yes it was literally crap. I made other plugins after that one for my own server and you never stop learning how to code so yes I do have a years more of coding experience and it will show greatly in this plugin.

Every plugin that is released for bukkit is up to the users of bukkit if they like them or not. After I release the first full build of this plugin I will let the users of bukkit decide what is in its future.

11. Offline

RyanTheLeach

Take to note, that "most kids" dont have a single clue when it comes to mysql. I only became admin on my server due to remote desktop-ing into a "kids" pc and installing mysql, now we are running on shared hosting so at least we are improving slowly

12. Offline

rmb938

The mysql part is not meant for most kids. It wont be enabled by default and will be considered for advanced users.

@steaks4uce thanks for posting but please do not start a argument on my thread that is not related to the plugin. Thanks :)

13. Offline

codename_B

@rmb938 bump for progress?

14. Offline

rmb938

Not much right now I got in my dorm late last night so I didn't have time to actually start any code. I will be starting tonight right after i finish my physics lab.

15. Offline

Fishbowl444

This is actually a really good idea for new and upcoming server admins. Following like a hawk.

16. Offline

codename_B

Any word? I'm dying for progress.

17. Offline

codename_B

rmb938 anything to show yet?

18. /me wants update

19. Offline

MrMag518

/me not sure if he's actually doing this.. need progress

20. Offline

codename_B

Bump - any word yet anyone?

21. Offline

codename_B

Bump

MrMag518 likes this.
  22. Offline

codename_B

Any progress update?

bump

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  23. Offline

codename_B

rmb938 any life in this project?

24. Offline

MrMag518

Im pretty sure he gave it up or something..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.