Where do I learn Java?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Ventality, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Gater12

Ventality Yeah. They are unfortunately not here today....

I tried to learn the Bukkit API first without having a good amount of Java knowledge. Didn't work out. Bought Java For Dummies. Watched Thenewboston. Made a Randomizing guessing game. Made a few Java programs. Came back and I was maybe O.K. good with it now.

Ventality likes this.
  2. Offline

Garris0n

That would create a paradox.

3. Offline

The_Doctor_123

Ugh, yes, I often have to clean those up by crashing people's computers with my sonic screwdriver.

Garris0n likes this.
  4. Offline

RawCode

The_Doctor_123
    Please tell me what i cant learn from oracle site and i will give you link to official documentation about that thing.

Reading documentation is FREE, FAST and always provide actual updated information.

1Rogue likes this.
  5. Offline

The_Doctor_123

Ugh, we've had this argument before with very similar words. Why not try something new?

6. Offline

Ventality

7. Offline

xTigerRebornx

RawCode You can't learn how trying something new helps you and how taking a different approach on learning will help some people more then others

8. Offline

Garris0n

They are good, however I would still recommend learning Java first, and his tutorials are for Bukkit.

9. Offline

RawCode

i dont need to try anything new, you can accept it or continue to suggest "java for dummies".

1Rogue likes this.
  10. Offline

Gater12

Ventality If you feel comfortable and you think you are getting a good learning experience from him.

Ventality likes this.
  11. Offline

Ventality

He's made a couple Java tutorials

12. Offline

xTigerRebornx

RawCode You may not, but this post isn't about how you can learn Java, is it?

13. Offline

The_Doctor_123

Accept it? Why don't you accept this?

14. Offline

Ventality

Well, both kind of :p

15. Offline

RawCode

xTigerRebornx
    This thread about "where do i learn Java" my suggestion "on oracle site", other suggestions "buy book".

any more questions?

16. Offline

The_Doctor_123

Awesome, now stop saying that we're wrong, and then we'll respect your opinion.

17. Offline

xTigerRebornx

Your other suggestion: "suggestion to buy book is joke."

18. Offline

RawCode

The_Doctor_123
    You are wrong, it does not matter, do you respect my opinion or not.

19. Offline

xTigerRebornx

RawCode

20. Offline

The_Doctor_123

Your ignorance is at an extremely high level. What you're saying leads to dictatorship.

AoH_Ruthless and Not2EXceL like this.
  21. Offline

RawCode

xTigerRebornx

22. Offline

Not2EXceL

How is The_Doctor_123 wrong about his statement upon books vs oracle's tutorial? (NOTE: I said oracles tut since that is the only link you initially mentioned, not the entirity of oracle's site which is for another discussion)
    He simply stated that no one learns the same, therefore people need to figure out what works.

You simply have a biased and skewed picture and ideal of how people should learn, which is apparently only one way. Its like swimming, not everyone learns the same way.

So you are wrong. And your grammar is terrible.

The_Doctor_123 likes this.
  23. Offline

xTigerRebornx

The_Doctor_123 New Bukkit Rule - No Dictatorship allowed. Someone get Timtower to use his magical powers of being a non-moderator, yet moderating!

24. Offline

Ventality

LOL timtower

Can't we just get along and respect our personal opinions.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2016
  25. Offline

The_Doctor_123

If I owned the forums..

26. Offline

xTigerRebornx

27. Offline

Gater12

Ventality Everyone gets along here. Bukkit is my first community that the majority of it is nice and not at each other's throats and all.

28. Offline

1Rogue

This thread has pretty much devolved into a circlejerk on java for dummies...

@OP

You simply will not find a more in-depth or up-to-date resource than oracle's own tutorial. Might I add that this is documentation provided by the people who write the language. Books are not updated, the website is. You won't find lambda expressions, information on Metaspace (the replacement for the PermGen), or other new technical things in books. You also will find what is approximately the most in-depth explanations on the matter.

Most of the people here that are suggesting a book and downplaying oracle's documentation and tutorials more than likely have not used them in-depth themselves. There are:

tutorials on OOP concepts: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/concepts/index.html
    A hello world example: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/netbeans.html
    More information on this "hello world": http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/getStarted/application/index.html
    The basics of the language: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/index.html
    Getting started with the language in general: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/getStarted/

Oracle's documentation is the complete and total documentation on the language. That is not to say that there are alternative ways to learn, but you will not find resources that are managed and kept as up to date as the source of the language itself.

RawCode likes this.
  29. Offline

Ventality

So, Websites not books?

30. Offline

1Rogue

Not websites specifically. Oracle's documentation is (imo) the best resource for learning java. If you are confused by any of the material, then googling usually results in a clearer explanation. You can also post on http://stackoverflow.com/ if you still cannot find the proper clarification (with the intent to learn, not to simply be handed the answer).

RawCode likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.