Where did my server.log go?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by OrtwinS, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

OrtwinS

Hi all,

I am running CB 1149, now, and besides a few plugin glitches it works great... BUT

There is no server.log!
    I cant check any errors that might be generated, there are simply NO logs.
    Does any else has this with build 1149?

I know Logblock isn't working here (name is red if I do /plugins), but I cant check my logs to see why...

I've looked in all my server folders, the root (with the craftbukkit.jar), plugins, logs, everything, my server runs, but no log is generated.

2. Offline

Matt Gill

I still have a server.log. That's kind of odd, what does the console say when you start the server?

3. Offline

Jackster21

yeah, mine hasn't dissappeared either...
    the best thing to do. take a backup before every bukkit dev update, then if theres any problems, you just copy them all back over.

4. Offline

Bakuhatsu

I've had the same issue for really long but it has never bothered me due to that I use the Crafty wrapper, which has a logfile as well. Otherwise, this is what it says about the server.log file:

"[WARNING] Failed to log to server.log
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at net.minecraft.server.ConsoleLogManager.init(ConsoleLogManager.java:42)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:87)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:348)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:417)"

For me the issue might actually be the wrapper but I am not totally sure and to be honest, I don't really care. :3

5. Offline

ultimak

Just to address this, if you have the latest logblock version then logblock will work, you just have to disable chest logging due to spout not being updated.

6. Offline

Jackster21

spout is 1 of the main plugins to be kept update, causing alot of problems if not tbh...

7. Offline

OrtwinS

my Logblock didn't work for another reason, my MySQL server had technical difficulties :p.

I'll just reinstall everything, 1 plugin at the time...

8. Offline

owen:D

hey found the fix.... atleast to mine you have to have the folder for your server on your desktop... hope i helped you :D

9. Offline

OrtwinS

That shouldn't make a difference, the log is created in the same folder as where the craftbukkit.jar is located.

I have found the cause though, I use a VPS with RAMdisk, and to prevent the (limited) RAMdist from overflowing when the server.log becomes bigger and bigger, there was a line of code that made sure to delete it.

I found how to disable/enable that code, so my problem is solved.

10. Offline

owen:D

ohh well it worked for me oh well :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.