Where can I really learn to code/plugin making?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Gonzxor, Jan 4, 2014.

?

Do you know how to make plugins?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2014.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Some what

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Gonzxor

I'm NOT a 11 year old wanting to code. I'm really wanting to learn how to do this. I am not going to start big, I will start small. So my question is does anybody have or know of a good tutorial Step by Step to teach you how to make the plugin and how to add to the plugin.

Just even something basic if you have anything I would love to check it out please leave the link. Even if it teaches you how to make a plugin that when you do /hi it says hi back. Even something like that would help.

Thanks alot,

- Gonzxor

2. Offline

Garris0n

3. Offline

Chinwe

Have a look around the forums for threads about learning - I have seen a lot of them, each with many different books/links/ways to learn!

4. Offline

Gonzxor

5. Offline

xTrollxDudex

Gonzxor
    You need to learn java first. Go to Oracle's website or borrow a book from the library, Java for Dummies or Head First Java are the popular choices. Or you can learn from thenewboston on YouTube.

After you thoroughly get down the language, then, and only then should you move on to a 3rd party API. You can take a look at the javadocs at http://jd.bukkit.org/dev/apidocs and look at the tutorial in the developer's hub on the wiki, at http://wiki.bukkit.org

After you get practice, start developing plugins. If you run into trouble, make sure to try your best to figure it out before posting here. Don't worry, you're in good hands, myself and others are available most days of the week.

Tip: Use your learned OOP to make mini games. No one ever bothers to realize how much they missed out on the main point of Java when asking how to make multiple arenas.

When you complete your first few plugins, move version control and builds to Maven, GitHub, CI Servers such as TravisCI/Jenkins.

Once you have professionalized your code and quality, you can move into native minecraft code, NMS, OBC, reflection, decoding obfuscation, packets. There are several tutorials and utilities in the resources section dealing with this, check those out.

Congratulations you're a dev. If you have spare time, come aboard and help us out helping other people trying to make plugins.

Edit:
    As a general reminder, avoid BCBroz as much as possible. You will know someone followed their tutorials when you see
    PHP:
    public class Test {
        public static 
    Test// <-- That -_-
    }
    BCBroz's tutorials show very bad conventions and code quality, watchers of their vids often do not become the most successful developers compared to those sourcing the knowledge on backed resources. Most of the methods are also outdated and not recommended to use, as well as horrible code efficiency.

I know people who make 20 if statements that can be condensed into a single method. Who did they watch? BCBroz. I know people who have many problems with their code, only to fix with a simple java error such as mismatched braces or uninitialized fields. Who did they watch? BCBroz.

All in all, avoid BCBroz at all costs.

One last note: Depend on Bukkit, not CraftBukkit. When you get into native code, then you should depend on CraftBukkit.

Jake6177, Vekh, Skyost and 6 others like this.
  6. Offline

Gonzxor

Wow thanks, looks like I got my work cut out for me.

7. Offline

xTrollxDudex

Gonzxor
    Reload the page, I added some things.

8. Offline

Gonzxor

Thanks man!

9. Offline

ryr11

What's wrong with the BCBroz, I am starting also and I don't want to use someone not good.

10. Offline

HyrulesLegend

11. Offline

NoLiver92

When you start coding bukkit, I have created a basic template which can be useful if your learning (its in my signature).

12. Offline

MarinD99

Don't start learning the Bukkit API before you learm Java. Trust me, you'll only make it harder for yourself. Start here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ and then continue to some good Bukkit coding tutors like: PogoStick29Dev, AppljuzeProgramming etc.

13. Offline

HyrulesLegend

MarinD99 Please remove TheBCBroz, they have outdated/teach bad methods.

14. Offline

MarinD99

Done! :)

15. Offline

Skyost

I love peoples like you :D
    If you are french, you can read my tutorial.
    Else, I do not know sorry, but first you need to learn Java (you have a lot of websites on the net) ;)

16. Offline

xTrollxDudex

I'm not sure how you missed an entire paragraph or two of my post

xTigerRebornx and Jake6177 like this.
  17. Offline

ryr11

Sorz ;(
    I was reading on my phone lol.

xTrollxDudex likes this.
  18. Offline

reider45

xTrollxDudex He still has some good tutorials imo, just some are a bit outdated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.