Solved What Java version is best suited for making plugins?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by johnny_boy, Dec 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

johnny_boy

Seeing as minecraft requires a minimum of Java 8, i thought it would be the best choice as server owners probably don't have the latest version of it. However as I go to to download the JDK 8 I need to sign in. So I'm wondering should I go through the effort of signing up or just download the newest JDK (to develop plugins)?

2. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@johnny_boy
    The difference doesn't really matter, just depends if you need certain elements from a new version of Java or not.

Some may argue that newer versions of Java provide better security, but it really depends on what you're doing.

3. Offline

johnny_boy

but surely if a server is using java 9 for example but i wrote my plugin in java 11 then wouldn't my program not work ?

however if a server was using java 9 but i wrote my program in java 8 then it work work in most cases?

4. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@johnny_boy
    It should be just fine. I have the latest version of Java installed and my plugins work as far back as 1.8

5. Online

timtower Moderator Moderator

6. Offline

johnny_boy

exactly. But would it be ok to use java 9 for my plugin if the server is using 8?

7. Online

Then it probably won't be compatible.

8. Offline

johnny_boy

Thank you. Final question is can I download JDK 8 without having to sign in ?

9. Online

No, seems to be that it is a legacy thing now. (forgot the correct word)
    Think that it is best to stick with the next version available and angrily poke hosts to update.

10. Offline

johnny_boy

ugh ok. Thank you. Problem solved :)

timtower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.