What is causing the lag ?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Luwiego, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

KakusCraft

yes, last night at arround 12 AM only 12 people playing in my server and 600 Mb is free, there is a guy who is exploring the map to find caves, etc...

i told that guy to do /spawn, and right after he did that, free memory went up to arround 1.5 GB

right now, arround 7Pm my time, 1.2 Gb free when server is full with 25 players online.

It depends on their position and how many chunks are loaded. For example. Try walking really far when there is 5 or 6 players online, then type /mem again. Memory usage will go up.

2. Offline

Luwiego

But it happens suddenly, just after using /ram, 2.5 free, bam crashing. Players coundl went so far so fast, to take up so much memory, atleast i think :/

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  3. Offline

KakusCraft

ahh try removing showcase and see if thats help :)

if not, come back here and i will help you again

4. Offline

imaxorz

I don't think he should have any lag no matter what with 5 players with his specs. I have a feeling one of the plugins is doing something, or something is completely wrong with his system.

Have you tried removing all the plugins and just running Bukkit and nothing else?

5. You should use MySql with your plugins. It is much better and minimizes lag.

6. Offline

Luwiego

Removed it with swatchdog,narrowtux and ptweaks. Didnt help.

Its really strange, at one moment the problem was gone, the server was still laggy but atleast it didnt crash.
    What do you mean?

Btw, can mobcatcher be a problem ? If i remember, the day that everything gone wrong again is the day i added mobcatcher, but im not sure.

Thanks for helping me guys, i really appreciate, and sorry for the bad english ;)

7. Offline

KakusCraft

hmm if you think so, try removing it, i also use mobcatcher and no problem so far though.

but if you think it was the day you added that plugin, try removing it :)

8. I mean that MySql may reduce lag. It is actually a database that allows plugins to access data much more easily and effectively than just a plain file with info.

9. Offline

KakusCraft

okay. which will be faster. running with flat files, or running mysql database that is not at localhost ?

10. I think that MySql would be faster, but generally its a bit better to have it on MySql as it is a bit more,err, organised in a way. In my opinion its worth the effort using MySql, but its up to you really

11. Offline

imaxorz

He shouldn't lag because he isn't using MySQL especially for that little players.

Try removing mob catcher.

I always keep a list of my plugins and when I first added them and last time updated. This way I can always go and see what I did right before any occurring issue.

12. Offline

Luwiego

K, just started the server after removing mobcatcher and didnt get the warning message in the startup. Thats a good sign..right.. ? :)

13. Yeap, probably mobcathcer is inflicting with some other plugin. Is the lag gone too?

14. Offline

user_90563788

I've noticed iConomy using much more CPU lately than usual. I logged the timings and it was averaging way up around 800,000. We have about 5k accounts and a lot of them have negative balances (glitch with another plugin that has since been removed) so I'm thinking that could be part of the problem, but haven't figured out how to solve it.

You could try getting rid of that and see if it helps.

15. Which plugin did conflict with iConomy so i know not to use it?

16. Offline

user_90563788

Vaultslots. It's a gambling plugin that lets people bet money they don't have, therefore setting them into negative balances. It's also a CPU hog even when no one is using it. Very cool plugin but a couple of big dealbreakers.

17. Offline

KakusCraft

try essentials economy i think it is more simple & stable

18. Offline

Luwiego

After removing the mobcatcher, the crashing stopped, but even with zero players it shows Warning blbalblabla... Current plugin list - bPermissions, PlugMan, PlgLogCmd, WorldEdit, iConomy, CoreProtect, CommandBook, OpenInv, Lockette, Vault, NoCheat, TreeAssist, AntiCreeper3, bChatManager, Regios, Jobs, AuthMe.
    Posible conflicts ?

Is it compatible with other plugins that use iconomy ?

19. Did any of your friends placed an insane amounts of blocks with worldedit ^_^

20. Offline

Luwiego

Nope. Im the only one with world edit permissions. I dont understand why server lags with few people online :/

Edit - Just crashed... I will try to remove jobs also.

21. Offline

Paswaru

Just an observation, your hosting providing gave you your processing speed as a total capacity. I often only see that with “Cloud” providers. Is this a Minecraft hosting company or just a regular VPS company?

The reason I ask is their infrastructure maybe geared towards web applications, which often launch a lot of small quick threads. You can get a much higher virtual server to core ratio in that kind of environment. What you may be experiencing is their virtualization software is pausing your VM to give CPU time to another VM.

22. Offline

Luwiego

I dont follow you... Testing without jobs.

23. Offline

Cicadia

Paswaru had an excellent, detailed response. It's quite complicated to understand if you're not into computer science and computer hardware, but my observation of his intentions are:

If your hosting provider is a general one, they might be assuming your server was built for website servers, which are a lot more lightweight than a bukly Bukkit server. Try using a host that is built for MineCraft servers if yours isn't.

Hope that helps :)

24. Offline

Luwiego

I used to have a gaming plan from that hosting provider, which also had the same problem, now im using vps + linux (minecraft server) version or something... Still the same problem.\

BTW, is there a plugin from my list that auto updates? Maybe because the update everything went wrong..

WOOOOW ! All night without crashing after removing jobs ! Yay ! I will now check for lag.

25. Offline

Nathan C

There is your issue........a VPS.

With a VPS, you are sharing those 4 cores between about 30+ other people that are on the same node. You are in NO WAY getting full use of even one core, especially if your host is overselling. About the only thing guaranteed in a VPS, is the RAM that you paid for..........everything else is shared. Also since Minecraft requires so much disk i/o and CPU time, hosts will suspend you for abuse of their node.

My point is, that you are getting lag, because you are trying to host off of a VPS, which is not meant for gamehosting. If you want to host a Minecraft server with no lag, then get a dedicated server or a premade gameserver, from a GSP.

26. Offline

Luwiego

I had a diffrent hosting provider, everything worked great for a month and then got the crashing problem... Changed to another one still the same problem...Changed to ANOTHER one still the same problem.

Removed jobs - no crash, but huge lag with just 5 players...

anyone?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  27. Offline

KakusCraft

where did you get the VPS ?

i host a 25 players server on 4 gb vps and it is fine.

28. Offline

Luwiego

Does it matter ? I got it from my countries provider. As i said, everything was fine in one vps provider for about a month, then everything started lagging and crashing, dont remember if i added a new plugin..

29. Offline

KakusCraft

if that is the case (smooth for a month then suddenly lagging), i think someone else on the same node is abusing the VPS.

try contacting the vps provider

i have the exact same case. my vps is super smooth for 2 weeks, after that it is lagging like hell...

luckily the owner of the hosting company is a good friend of mine. i contacted him right away, and he said there was 2 customers abusing their vps for spamming. he suspended them right away.

after he suspended them, my server back to smooth again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.