Voting for plugins?

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Tarheels, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Tarheels

Is there a site that has voting which shows top voted plugins? or should bukkit make one to do this?
    I would like example= poll.bukkit.org

2. Offline

ks07

I don't believe there is a plugin voting site. The closest I can think of is the blockface approved plugins list, but it's not really what you're looking for.

As for bukkit implementing plugin voting... Not sure if that's a great idea. It'll most likely end up as a popularity contest and/or a way to bash those plugins you don't like. It's so very easy to down vote something when you don't have to provide any reasoning to anyone else about why that is the case.

3. Offline

Tarheels

True, I still believe it could be a good idea, but you would have to file more info; also if a moderator could move this to the right section please thanks

4. Offline

Windwaker

No but there should be :)

5. Offline

Lolmewn

There isn't but there should be one. I definitely agree on that.

6. Offline

ks07

Hmm, if people were forced to provide justification, it might work. But then we have more load for the Bukkit staff to moderate these things, and we all know they do enough as it is.

7. Offline

EvilSeph

BukkitDev is mirrored across several sites, each catering to a different audience. Voting is possible on http://www.curse.com/server-mods/minecraft - the more public facing and targeted verion of BukkitDev.

8. Offline

Tarheels

Ok good im glad its with BukkitDev too :D.

9. Offline

yottabyte

@EvilSeph
    I honestly don't see any reason not to put something like this on BukkitDev. It's much easier to navigate through what's popular and find what you want. Having page views count to it could help too. No offense but the BukkitDev user experience is pretty bad at the moment.

10. Offline

Lolmewn

The reason why not is this:
    New plugins start at the bottom. Will get noticed a lot less.
    And a sort of competition then starts (Vote for me and Ill do some awesome stuff!), which will only be won by big plugins. Small ones will just bite the dust really.

Edit: I think a star rating is better, 1-5 stars. They should appear next to the plugin.

11. Offline

yottabyte

@Lolmewn This doesn't have to be the default order. The competition could be solved by using a scale, 1-5 or 1-10 instead of the thumbs up.
    I don't really see the big issue with small plugins not getting noticed either. If they are really good and unique, people like them and upvote them. If they are bad compared to other plugins in the same category and/or are not innovative or creative at all, they can stay at the bottom. I don't want those plugins clustered over my frontpage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.