"Vision Control" plugin request [FORMATTED]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Stormbow, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Offline

Stormbow

Plugin category: RPG Games / Mechanic-altering

Suggested name: Vision Control

A bit about me: I've been a gamer for literally decades now. As such, I've been carrying on a specific character in pretty much every game that's come online since 1990. (I'm sure you can guess what that character's name is..) With that character in mind, I am considering opening a Minecraft server which caters to and continues his storyline in the Minecraft universe, where others can join in and become a part of his history and the story. To accomplish this endeavor, and really get into the roleplaying aspect of it, I have been discovering a variety of plugins that will accomplish many of the various feats I would need to "get it right" when I tell the story as a Minecraft server. This request fulfills the largest of those plugin needs.

What I want: I'd like a plugin that controls the visibility in-game at various levels for various different races the players may choose from. For example, elves can see more easily in the dark (especially well above ground, slightly better under ground). Dwarves can see very easily underground, and slightly better above ground. Meanwhile, orcs or goblins can see exceptionally well in the dark, but suffer visibility penalties for being in the light.

I was considering this would translate to something along the lines of:

The complicated version (that you're welcome to modify/adapt/simplify):
    Elves: +50% brightness underground (below Y:63) at all times, +50% brightness above ground (above Y:63) at night.
    Dwarves: +75% below ground, +25% above ground.
    Orcs: +75% visibility underground, -25% above ground.
    Goblins: +75% underground, -75% above ground.

(These stats are a work in progress, pending beta testing and feedback of course.)

If the player moves below Y:63, things get (25/50/75/100%) darker or lighter based on permissions.
    If the player moves to Y:64 or higher, things get (25/50/75/100%) darker or lighter based on permissions.

The simplified version:
    Players press a key (V? Configurable?) and everything gets brighter.

Ideas for commands: Possibly "V" key usage, configurability optional.

Ideas for permissions: I was considering the above could be implemented in a Permissions (I use PermissionsEx) manner with nodes such as:

vision.above.bonus.PercentageHere (vision.above.bonus.25)
    vision.above.penalty.PercentageHere (vision.above.penalty.50)
    vision.below.bonus.PercentageHere (vision.below.bonus.75)
    vision.below.penalty.PercentageHere (vision.below.penalty.100)

and covering the full spectrum of -100% (a curse of total blindness? must use torches extremely often to see) > -75% > -50% > -25% > 0% (no permissions or nodes necessary, obviously) > +25% > +50% > +75% > +100% (fully able to see in the dark clearly with no torch use required).

Continuing from the "The complicated version above", it might look something like this:
    Code:
    groups:
        Elven:
            prefix: ''
            suffix: 'the elf '
            permissions:
            - vision.above.bonus.50
            - vision.below.bonus.50
            inheritance:
            - BasePlayerGroupNameHere
        Goblin:
            prefix: ''
            suffix: 'the goblin '
            permissions:
            - vision.above.penalty.75
            - vision.below.bonus.75
            inheritance:
            - BasePlayerGroupNameHere
    In the simplified version, a single node would suffice- vision.allowed?

Willing to pay up to: Personally, I think it would be awesome to order a pizza for someone cross-country again, otherwise negotiable.

If you're willing to show me (teamspeak, mumble, skype, ventrilo, or even just a ridiculously detailed email with pictures and everything...) how to make the plugin (to keep it updated) I'd definitely consider a respectable cash deal. We can talk about that in private.

When I'd like it by: In an amount of time comparable to the amount paid. A month at most?

Similar plugin requests: Someone said X-ray plugins allow people see in the dark. (I've been using GammaAdjuster ever since Dark Age of Camelot. It's the darkest game I ever saw...)

Devs who might be interested in this: @TnT @ChrizC @codename_B (Because codename_B tagged these names in his post / the sticky. heh)

2. Offline

Roadkill909

Not sure if even spout can do this. Bukkit by default can't do this because it requires things that are only done through the client side modding (visibility and key pressing). Unless of course you used the blindness potion effect indefinitly, but then all your players would bubble if you couldnt figure out a workaround

3. Offline

Stormbow

Ah, ok. I kinda figured that was going to be the case. Thanks.

4. Offline

Rathfon

Removing the potion effect is easy enough. But you can't really set the "amount" of blindness. It's like a 80% blindness or nothing.