Villager Building Plugin

Discussion in 'Plugin Requests' started by coolguyman21, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

coolguyman21

Plugin Category: Fun/Roleplaying
    Version 1.14
    Suggested Name: Village Builders

I am currently working on a towny server for the release of 1.14. I remembered a mod that existed back around 2010. I believe this was before villagers were added into the game. The premise was quite simple. It added a new mob which looked like a builder into the game. They would then walk around building simple structures. This is problematic because in order to work as a plugin you can't add your own entities into the game. However, now we have villagers. I do believe it would be possible to give villagers the ability to build simple structures and I think it would add a lot of life to villages and any server.

On towny servers I always enjoyed starting my town from some ruins of another town and fixing it up rather than starting from scratch. I think encouraging towns to build off of existing villages would be wonderful.

I also think that this plugin could be quite a success in 1.14 considering the increase in searches for villager related plugins with the newly updated villagers being released. As far as other uses for the plugin, clearly it wouldn't be limited to towny servers as all servers could make use of more lively villages that grow over time instead of staying the same. No commands would be needed for this plugin just code to have villagers start building structures. I also don't think it is necessary to have a complicated system that relies on villagers actually having the items to build the structures. I think they should basically just be given the items to build out of thin air. This avoids needing a whole system of item collection to exist. The problem with most villager plugins is that they can become never-ending projects. However, I feel this plugin, though complicated, is simple enough in scope to actual be completable.

I would be happy to see it started on 1.13.2 however as I mentioned the full potential in this plugin lies in 1.14

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Offline

insanj

Love this idea. I'm starting work today on a concept that will achieve this, will post with updates once I have a version running. I'm going to attempt to use an existing villager with a nametag to begin with, and based on a set of schematic files which can be configured by the user, they will put up structures as long as the resources match their current environment (i.e. all the blocks are found within a configurable radius, as to prevent desert buildings in a grassy biome).

Making good progress! Am trying to support both Schematic (https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Schematic_file_format) and Structure Block (https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Structure_block_file_format) file formats as the source for the things the Villager builds.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Edit (3/16): Still working on this, believe it or not! Will post a build in a few days... Decided to learn a lot more about Fabric and the 1.14 APIs so I can potentially make this mod work for the snapshots instead of just 1.13. Not completely sold on making both versions, but I'm still trying, and we'll see what I can make in time!

Edit (3/23): Beta coming this weekend most likely, have the schematic file implementation almost finalized, now it's just the structure files I have to finish up. Custom villagers, trades, and scheduled builds based on those custom trades are all ready to go!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.