[VIDEO] Bukkit Server Setup for Noobs

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Xav Kearney, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Xav Kearney

If you really don't have a clue about what you're doing, this should help.
    Everything is explained in the video.
    But you might want to watch it on youtube so things are easier to see. I do zoom in when needed.

I find videos far more informative than just plain text so I made one to help people out.

Once you have your server set up, on the port 25565, you will want to go to: http://www.whatismyip.com/ and give your IP address out to people, this will allow them to connect.

To save the notepad file as BAT, change Text Document to All Files in the save window and add .bat to the end of the file name.

Batch Code:
    Code:
    java -Xmx2G -Xms2G -jar craftbukkit.jar
    pause
    Or you can use:
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar "%BINDIR%\craftbukkit-0.0.1-snapshot.jar"
    PAUSE
    If no one can connect except you it's because you haven't port forwarded.
    Follow this tutorial here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=836&p=5841#p5841

Essentials can be found: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ge...of-essential-plugins-in-one-package-531.1262/

Group Manager can be found: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...pha-3-a-permissions-replacement-440-531.4723/

My minecraft server IP is: x4v.me

Do subscribe if you want to see more of this rubbish :p

2. Offline

Andre_9796

Recommended batch code is this

@ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar "%BINDIR%\craftbukkit-0.0.1-snapshot.jar"
    PAUSE

3. Offline

Xav Kearney

Updated post, thanks.

4. Offline

Andre_9796

No problem.

5. Offline

TnT

I'd say the recommended batch file is the one that is the easiest to use. As I keep saying, as long as you have your path variable set correctly, you should be fine using:

Code:
    @echo off
    java -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui
    pause

The 1G can be replaced with whatever value you choose. The nogui option does absolutely nothing.

Check out the Newb guide, my guide, and many other guides here for pointers.

6. Offline

Xav Kearney

Yeahh I know, what does the -Xincgc do?

7. Offline

mughi

'better' garbage collection
    inc = incremental.. without looking it up, i think it means it can collect the garbage in smaller chunks instead of having to go through all the memory at once to do clean up.

8. Offline

srablaze

how do you add groups using gm

9. Offline

Xav Kearney

Ohh I see, will use that in future.

You need to go into /plugins/GroupManager/worlds/(mapname)/groups.yml
    And there's basically a tutorial inside the file.

10. Offline

HalfSpoon

So... Iget up to the part where Xav says "you literally just doouble click it and you get the black screen." Do you double click the saved notepad file with the
    java -Xmx2G -Xms2G -jar craftbukkit.jar pause
    in it? because when I do this a black window shows up, but it says it's unable to open the file. HALP plz!

11. Offline

Xav Kearney

Yes, you run (ie double click) the .bat file.
    Is the .bat file in the same directory as the craftbukkit.jar?

12. Offline

Coryland

When i click the button to start server and command prompt opens and says "Path Not Specified" what do i do

13. Offline

HalfSpoon

yes it is. maby i am just trying to run it with too many Gs

14. Offline

Xav Kearney

Run it with:
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    PAUSE
    instead.
    I doubt that, that would be a different error, just fiddle around with the parameters, see what works.

15. Offline

HalfSpoon

Ok so it says that i was opening a file under somewhere els, not where is saved craftbukkit. Now tht i have windows 7, it just says: The system cannot find the path specified, pres any key to continue.
    :\ idk wat to do

16. Offline

Xav Kearney

You aren't making any sense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.