Updating

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by gustebeast, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Offline

gustebeast

2. Offline

Woobie

We would need a source code of that plugin to be able to update it.

3. Offline

Gravity

You can decompile it.
    Give the errors, please?

4. Offline

gustebeast

Error that comes up after 2 minutes use.

Code:
    [SEVERE] Could not pass event PlayerChatEvent to LocalChat

org.bukkit.event.EventException

at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:341)

at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:62)

at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.fireEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:477)

at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:462)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.q(MinecraftServer.java:517)

at net.minecraft.server.DedicatedServer.q(DedicatedServer.java:213)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.p(MinecraftServer.java:476)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:407)

at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:539)

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.gc13.localchat.LocalChatListener.localChat(LocalChatListener.java:152)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor78.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)

at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:339)

... 8 more

P.S. I also got a problem where the plugin didnt load chat formats for other worlds untill I typed /lc reload. It would just default to the normal minecraft chat system in any world other than world.

5. Offline

Woobie

Isnt that "illegal"?
    I could just go and decompile any plugin then.

6. Offline

Gravity

It isn't illegal, what is "illegal" is if you try to rip off their code, and their license prevents that.
    You CAN just go and decompile any plugin... there's really no way to stop that, Java being as it is.
    We decompile every file at BukkitDev :p

Vandrake and bobacadodl like this.
  7. Offline

gustebeast

Lets not get too off topic here.

8. Offline

Gravity

Errr... We were discussing how it could be updated, and whether that was ok or not..

I still need those errors if you want me to try and update this.

9. Offline

gustebeast

Ummmm... can you not see my post above?

10. Offline

Gravity

Oops, your post didn't show up in my alerts for some reason so I didn't catch it. Checking into it now.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the 'spy_tag' value set in the config?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  11. Offline

gustebeast

spy_tag: '[SPY]'

One more thing, can you add a "No one hears you" function with a configurable message? So if no1 is within the range of your chat it outputs the message.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

12. Offline

bobacadodl

Thanks for the info! I have always heard that it was illegal to see source code through decompiling. I can learn 10x more things now >=D

13. Offline

np98765

I was under the impression that decompiling was frowned upon here (not illegal unless you steal from it)... Until the Post Your Desktop thread, where a dozen or so people expressed that they use a decompiler. ;)

14. Offline

gustebeast

Once again this thread isnt a "is it legal to decompile plugins" thread. Please only post here regarding the development of the plugin.

15. Offline

np98765

Well, if it is illegal, we wouldn't want to decompile the plugin now, would we? Decompiling it would be a huge part of "the development of the plugin".

And we're basically giving you free "bumps" -- Every time we comment, you get exposure.

I'll now refrain from further comments.

16. Offline

gustebeast

Good Point ;)

17. Offline

Gravity

Just relax a bit :). People here are discussing your post, and a question that was brought up because of it. Like np98765 said, you're only getting more eyes because of that. I've already taken up the task of looking into your plugin, so I don't think it's too much to ask to discuss an ethical issue along with it. You are requesting that we help you, after all.

18. Offline

gustebeast

Btw, make sure you read that suggestion about no one hears you above. It might have gotten drowned out.

19. Offline

PogoStick29

The error references a PlayerChatEvent, maybe making it Async would help?
    If no one is actively updating this, and I'm aloud to update this (giving credit of course), then I'll do it.
    Also, I believe that the exact features you are looking for are in Essentials :)

20. Offline

np98765

Looking at the license...
    ;)

21. Offline

PogoStick29

Ok, then I'll try to update it for 1.3 and I'll give the previous author credit :)

Can anyone decompile this or point me to a decompiler for Mac :/ Maybe np98765?

22. Offline

np98765

JD-GUI is lovely.

Codex Arcanum likes this.
  23. Offline

gustebeast

h31ix is already working on this, its redundant to have 2 people working on the same thing simultaneously.

24. Offline

PogoStick29

Ok, well if h31ix wants me to take it up, I can :)

You are my savior. That is the best thing since Asynchronous methods in Bukkit.

25. Offline

Gravity

I'm also busy with all kinds of other things. As long as you are getting what you want, I don't think you should be lecturing people on redundant tasks. PogoStick29 feel free to work on this.

26. Offline

PogoStick29

Ok, I will :)

gustebeast before I begin updating this plugin, please answer the following questions:

1. Do you use Essentials?
    2. If you do, then is the built-in local chat / shout function enough for you? (See the config)

27. Offline

gustebeast

I am currently using EssentialsChat for local chat and honestly, it barely passes. Theres no configurable commands so you have to always use !, the local chat prefix blends in with the player name and it looks terrible, theres no per-world formatting, you cant add extra formats like whispering, theres no "No one hears you" message so noobs end up screaming for help thinking everyone is ignoring them, and if you are op you cant turn off essentials spy so you have to listen to everyones personal conversations.

28. Offline

np98765

Not saying that you should use EssentialsChat for this...

Just saying that you can turn off the spy, /socialspy -- Correct?

29. Offline

gustebeast

No you cannot, socialspy is for private messaging, not local chat.

30. Offline

np98765

... Really? I was under the impression that it worked for everything. :confused: (But I don't use that feature myself, so I wouldn't really know)