Solved Unable to Bind to Port. Fixed that, Now I cant Connect...

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by camakeson, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

camakeson

Hey!
    So I have a server and it decided to stop working. I DID NOT mess with any ports, nothing, and it broke. So I did my research. It said to make the server-ip blank, because you probably have two internal ips. I did that, and now it is able to start. But now, I or my friends can't join. Help?

2. Offline

Super User

Is your IPv4 static?

3. Offline

camakeson

Super User Um, you mean like dynamic and static? I am new to this whole router thing...

4. Offline

Iroh

He means is your internal ip (or ipv4) 192.168.1.something always the same, you need to set this up.

camakeson likes this.
  5. Offline

camakeson

Ok. I dont know if it is static someone walk me through this. Thanks!

6. Offline

Iroh

Here is how I learned.

camakeson likes this.
  7. Offline

camakeson

Iroh Ty for the help but I have a mac. I can figure out how to do that but how do I fix it?

8. Offline

Iroh

9. Offline

camakeson

Iroh Ok, so what do I do after that?

10. Offline

Iroh

Re portforward to the 192.168.1.*** address you specified. If you followed the tutorial exactly it would be 192.168.1.110.

camakeson likes this.
  11. Offline

camakeson

Uh ok.... This is so confusing. So I make a static ip and re-portforward. Thats all?

12. one sec - I didn't read all the posts, but go into the server.properties and where it says port: change that to anything except the current port, for example if your port is 25564 change it to 25567

13. Offline

camakeson

14. Can you try to portforward to the changed port?

15. Offline

camakeson

facepalm It doesn't work :/
    Iroh That tutorial broke my wifi. Any other Ideas?

16. Offline

l0stb3ta

camakeson
    Yes, and a little bit of information can help us determine how you're set up.
    Is the server on your local network, or have you purchased slots from a provider?
    If it's set up on your local network, do you have a router? What kind is it?
    What operating system is the server running, if it is one of your machines? (Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux, Mac, etc).

With regard to the server IP field, yes, typically a computer will have two IP addresses; the internal IP (that other machines connected to your router can see), and the external IP (that all of the Internet can see). If you aren't sure which one of these should be set in the server properties file, it's okay to leave it blank.

Typically, if your Minecraft server is on your local network, your personal machine and the server should have the same external IP address. Typically, these will be dynamic, changing anywhere from every few hours to every few months, depending on the Internet Service Provider. A good way to check that is by visiting websites such as What Is My IP. Google should also be able to tell you if you search for "what is my ip".

The only caveat to connecting externally is that usually, you'll need to forward the Minecraft port that your server is using through your router, so that the traffic coming in on that port gets sent to your Minecraft server (otherwise, your router will ignore the request). That process depends on your router, and if you're able to tell me the model, I should be able to locate instructions on how to do that.

If your friends are on your local network with you, you should be able to connect to the internal IP address of the server on the Minecraft port, without forwarding anything through the router. You can locate your server's internal address through its operating system's IP configuration (and if you aren't certain how to do that, just let me know which operating system you're using on the server, and I'll be able to provide instructions on how to check that).

I hope this is helpful, as opposed to confusing!

17. Offline

camakeson

@10st3ta
    1. Its local.
    2. Its a Verizon Fios Actiontec
    3. Mac OSX Lion

18. camakeson turn off your firewall and then try to do it, because firewall blocks the connections

19. Offline

camakeson

facepalm I allowed every incoming connection already, so its sort of pointless to turn it off.

20. Offline

l0stb3ta

camakeson
    Is your server the same as the machine you are playing on, or is it a tower that you have running dedicated?

EDIT: Actually, that shouldn't matter. If the server is a Mac, you should be able to go under System Preferences > Network, select the connection that your server is using (such as Wifi/Airport) and view the internal IP address there.

If you, from within your network, connect to that IP address on the port that your server is running on, you should be able to connect.

For configuration options on external things, I'll need a bit more time to look into that specific model of router to provide specific steps.

21. Offline

camakeson

@I0st3ta I know how to set it up but it broke...

I might have found the root of the problem. What does it mean when the "port is closed"? is it in use?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  22. Offline

camakeson

This is close enough to 24 hours. BUMP

Iroh Wow. I did what you told me to do and it worked. It is amazing. Thank you so much :D

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  23. Offline

Iroh

Great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.