UBSkypeOnTheGo

Discussion in 'Plugin Requests' started by BradleyFlorence, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Plugin category: Chat

Suggested name: UBSkypeOnTheGo

What I want: I want a plugin that allows you to log into your skype account and send messages to the users who have messaged you. Anybody on the server can use this plugin if they have the correct permission. What it does is if somebody messages you, it will show up in your chat EX: [Skype] John: Whats Up! And you can use the reply command to reply to that message that last showed up on your screen. This makes it possible to where you do not have to continue going back and forth from Minecraft to Skype.This also allows you to message your Skype groups.

Ideas for commands: /skype reply <message> (This allows you to Reply to the last person that messaged you. /skype <person> <message> (This allows you to message a player with there username. /skype <group> <message> (This allows you to message a Group of your Choosing with the Group name. /skype login <username> <password> (This logs into your skype account so you can message others.

Ideas for Permissions: skype.login skype.reply skype.group skype. person (These Perms relate to there commands.)

When I'd like it by: 2 or 3 days.

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@BradleyFlorence Skype doesn't has an official api though, nor do I know if you can have multiple logged in at the same time.
    Not to mention that people might not trust this.

API_Tutorials likes this.
  3. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Not offical but here https://github.com/taksan/skype-java-api also if they do not trust this they don't have to use it.

4. Offline

@BradleyFlorence That one connects to a skype instance installed on the running device, it won't work for your idea.

5. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Ill look for a good API later today then.

I tried finding another API but the API I found is the only usable one I was able to find since Skype Discontinued there API program. Also I was looking through it and it looks like it has enough code to use for what I need it to do.
    EDIT by Timtower: merged posts

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  6. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@BradleyFlorence, this is a cool idea, but it just isn't practical. Or safe. It's not safe at all.

Java is a very weak programming language as far as security goes, so someone might be able to hack into the computer running the server and get the passwords of every person in the server. I have spoken with professional white hat hackers before, and these guys can break into government websites with nothing more than a bad laptop that can run Firefox. Not only this, but you would be giving DECOMPILABLE code that is open source to server owners that stores passwords. It doesn't matter how you encrypt it, the algorithm is in the plugin.
    Seriously rethink this request guys.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  7. Offline

8. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Its not like im going to hack into somebodies Skype... Also I may have rethought this plugin I bit. Make the plugin Instead of /skype login <username> <password> do /skype login and once you run this command it will send you to a Skype link (skype.com) that now allows you to log in and will ask you if you allow this Service to use your skype account. Or something along these lines. So all of your Skype info is still held by Skype.

9. Offline

@BradleyFlorence Skype doesn't support features like that, logging in on the browser doesn't show on the server.

10. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@BradleyFlorence, if only it was that simple. That is just as bad, because your password is being sent through the server computer first, and can easily be intercepted.

EDIT: Saw timtower, i'm assuming he means to use another webpage, which is extremely dangerous. Yes, the I/O from the webpage couldn't be moved to the server.

Also, no API that I can find can read incoming messages, not that it even matters.

11. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Can you think of any better idea then? Because It'd be really awesome for it to show up on my server!

12. Offline

The only thing that I can come up with is reverse engineering the skype protocol to java and allowing multiple clients at the same time.
    But that would take weeks to do, not to mention that it isn't very secure at all.

13. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

It's not the work that concerns me, it's the security. This software in the wrong hands could VERY easily be used as a phishing device. Not even sure that curse would accept it because of that.

14. Offline

BradleyFlorence

I'd like to have this done for me and if you could find some other secure way to do this that'd be great! Also there is a Plugin like this on Bukkit... its just out of date.

15. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@BradleyFlorence, I think we've made it pretty clear that there is no secure way.

EDIT: went and looked for them, every one I find has been deleted for some reason. ( I think we know the reason)

16. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Yeah, the API was discontinued. I will Private Message Skype Support and try to get there api if they still update it privately hoping that they still work on it in private.

17. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@BradleyFlorence, no, they don't. The public API was what this would be used for. I'm going to stop responding, I've made my case.

18. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Okay, but I do think that there is a Way to create this plugin.

19. Offline

If you know one that is safe: let us know.
    But also keep in mind that everything that is loaded onto the server can be used by different plugins. So the security for this is pretty much none. Mod would make more sense, or just alt tab to skype.

20. Offline

BradleyFlorence

Do you know if any mod that does this then? This may also work on my server.

21. Offline

I am a Bukkit user and I play some mod packs, but I never had any interest in linking minecraft and skype.

22. FriendsOverlay does the skype feature, I'm pretty sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.