TPS low?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by rmb938, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

rmb938

So my server has became very popular and I am getting 30-35 players online. However for some reason the TPS likes to stay around 13-17 which seems low to me. With 30 players online I use about 750 mb of ram and 100% cpu(one core). I have a feeling it could be my hdd limiting because of all the chunk writes. Any ideas?

Server Specs:

Core2 Quad 2.4Ghz
    4GB DDR2 Ram
    500GB HDD SataII
    CentOS 5.5 64bit
    100 Mbps port

I am using the noLagg monitor and the tps goes down to 13-17 when the chunks part have over +30 in the green. I am guessing thats chunks being generated. Once that number goes back to +0 it goes back to perfect 19-20TPS.

SO I probably answered my question on why this is happening which is chunks being generated.

2. Offline

Nathan C

Nah, that seems about right for the CPU.

I hosted off a Core 2 Duo @ 2.2. Ghz with a RAMdisk and it used to get lower TPS with anything over 30 players. Yours is .2 Ghz faster, so lower TPS with 35 seems just about right.

And why is it happening: Many things from mobs, to chunkloading to water and lava cause it. Not really much you can do, besides lower mobs, limit map size or upgrade your CPU.

3. Offline

rmb938

Well it seems the cpu can be used more since its only using one core of the cpu.

4. Offline

Vhab

That's not how it works unfortunately.
    Minecraft's server will mainly utilize a single core, there's nothing you can do about it.

Nathan C likes this.
  5. Offline

Nathan C

This.

Minecraft favors stronger cores over more cores.

6. Offline

erdrickk

One thing I did to reduce lag on my server was to use a border plugin like WorldBorder and then render all the chunks with in that border. My world has a 5000 block radius currently. This way there is no chunk generation lag from people exploring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.