Tooltips

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by joezilla903, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Offline

joezilla903

Plugin category: Chat Related

Suggested name: "Tooltips" taken from the website coding (CSS, HTML, JavaScript) to show more information (In my opinion it would make it easy to find). Otherwise up to the DEV, if they know a good name.

What I want:
    I'm looking for a chat plugin that when a player talks and you hover over their name it shows player statistics/information.
    For example, I hover over a player Nicked "Joe" it may show real name (ign), the day/moth they joined, how long they played, if their jailed, gamemode, rank, current world, if they are flying, Faction/Clan they are in, god mode, KDR, ect.
    It would be great if in a config file it could be customized with text and variables, so server owners can display what they want.

Possibly the same "tool-tip" shown in /list.

Also in relation to this add a custom text file.
    for example i do /vote it pulls up a list of sites to vote for, but instead of a URL it says "Planet Minecraft" if you hover over it it give the URL and when you click it takes you to the site.

And/or

Do /rules it gives a set of rules you can have the "basic" rules IE "No Hacking" but when you hover over it you can give a detailed description.

When doing the custom commands with the text display you could have the chat stop until the user clicks a defined line that exits the custom chat menu (ie. "Click here to return to chat!") This could allow users to read said information without being interrupted.

It would be great if this could fork from KitsuneChat with faction support or SimpleClan support
    Variables I would like:
    • %name% = Shows the user IGN
    • %rank% = Shows the rank
    • %world% = Shows current world
    • %gamemode% = Current gamemode
    • %jailed% = Shows if they are jailed
    • %joined% = When the player joined
    • %time% = How long they have played
    • %kdr% = Kill dearth ratio
    Ideas for commands: No commands needed for this plugin. unless its forked from KitsuneChat, then similar commands.

Ideas for permissions: nothing special unless (again) forked from KitsuneChat, then similar permissions

When I'd like it by: When a dev can work on it and get it done. preferably a week or so.

I personally think this would be a great addition for any server. This could keep the chat clean by removing the faction tag to the tool-tip, as well as the ranks. Also this can remove the use of /realname and /whois

EDITS:
    Added a suggested tittle.
    Remaned thread from "Chat plugin with 'Tool-tips' Addition" to "Tooltips"
    Added a list Variables suggested by timtower

MajikalBlood likes this.
  2. Offline

MajikalBlood

This is actually a pretty cool suggestion.

3. Offline

GreySwordz

joezilla903
    Which plugin do you want this to be forked off of?

4. Offline

joezilla903

5. Offline

GreySwordz

joezilla903 I'll have it hook into essentials for afk, god, etc.

6. Offline

joezilla903

Kk ty :)

7. Offline

cluter123

most of these items actually come from essentials /whois!

jacklin213 likes this.
  8. Offline

joezilla903

That's probably why GreySwordz suggested to hook into Ess to gather that information for the "tool-tip."

9. joezilla903 Cool idea, I didn't really understand if the other people will do it, but if not, I can look into it.

10. Offline

joezilla903

Lionhard I'm sure its possible, since Minecraft updated and now has an option to shows achievements names in chat and when you hover over it it gives a description of said achievement.

I'm not sure if GreySwordz will be thinking about it doing it or not.

I can see this becoming a big feature on how information can be displayed. Such as Factions; if some one created a faction and a member of said faction talks in chat, you could hover over the faction name and see the stats. if Towny is used, then Towny information (I've never used it but i'm sure this could be used the same way,) or many other plugins. The more I think about, it the more I can see it being used in other ways.
    It reduces the use of commands and would be more (end) user friendly.

At the moment i would like to see this to display player information in a such way described in the first post that can be configured in a config file, possibly different settings for different ranks (maybe with faction/clan support ;)). As well as in a "custom text" file like essentials but have a "tool-tip" that shows more detailed information and the option to click on a name and take you to said website (ie. Bukkit) and show the URL in the "tool-tip" or custom text.

Even if someone beside you does do this, there are many ways one could use the this with other plugins than I have mentioned.

11. joezilla903 I did never tell it is impossible. I did already a request using that function, but I do not think that it is possible to do it when you hover over someone's name. I'm pretty sure that it would work in a completely new made chat plugin, with some tricky code, but not with the current libraries for it. If someone would do it by himself, he could be able to do it, maybe.

When I think about it, you told that you would like it in a players list, too. So, when you type /playerslist (or whatever), then it should show up this information on every player. This is easy, in this way it could be done for everything, factions (/factionslist), towny (/townslist), etc. but I do not know if someone is able to do it with the players names etc., because I have found only a way to SEND those messages, not edit messages and add the tooltip to any of the words in the message, if you get what I mean.

12. Offline

GreySwordz

13. Offline

joezilla903

Lionhard likes this.
  14. Offline

GreySwordz

I'm unbelievably busy right now, Lionhard can take over the project if he wishes to do so.

15. GreySwordz joezilla903 Well, I told you. ;) Anyways, if for joezilla903 would be the playerlist enough, I could do that. I'm not able to add tooltips to the playernames infront of each message.

16. Offline

joezilla903

The tooltip in the players name is what I wanted originally.
    Anyone else might wanna do this? :eek:

17. Offline

joezilla903

18. Offline

nateracecar5

I don't think that's possible. To hover over a player name in chat, there is no API for that. So you'd have to use commands or something. Maybe, a suggestion, is that you can have a command enable you to get stats if you look at an entity, which would be a player. :)

19. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

nateracecar5 No API but you can change the packets by hand to make it work

20. Offline

joezilla903

timtower So I take it that will be difficult to do?

21. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

The packets part isn't that bad, probably needs protocolLib to function though. But if you really want this then you definitely need to list all of the variables that you want to be able to use and how you want to use this

22. Offline

joezilla903

Add a list of variables that I would like.

23. Offline

joezilla903