Solved TIPS from a new hosts POV

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Morlanius, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Morlanius

Hi,

Ive posted before about an issue, and this is only my second post.
    Firstly I would like to say that, THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT REQUEST. (Takes a bow: Thank you)
    This is just a few tips from someone new to mc and all its fun.

Where I'm coming from:
    I've been running MU*'s for some time, actually I'm pretty much RP obsessed (going to make my mc server IC before long lol). I self host all my projects on a dedicated server. I'm a native Linux user and have been for a loong time, I remember having to install very early versions of slacky from a heapload of floppies ... yep .. I'm that old.

Ok, enough of me ranting, on to the tips.

#1 Don't download Bukkit from the tutorial, go into the project proper and get the latest one, it doesnt work with the latest client.
    #2 Use the tutorial, it works, although the install is pretty much idiot proof (as long as you download the latest version)
    #3 when using nohup to run the server in bg on your host DO redirect both outputs to /dev/null
    EG: user@server]$ nohup java -jar server.jar nogui >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
    you could end up with an ENORMOUS nohup.out otherwise (i deleted a 17.1gb file after 24h)
    #4 Plugin installation and all-round compatability is easier if you only install the Bukkit's permissions first.
    #5 set yourself up in oplist, whitelist before install permissions.
    #6 use a separate user account for the server

Well, that's it for now, if anyone found this useful please reply, I'm not after fame and glory but it would be nice to know if this has been useful or not.

This stuff is pretty simple to be honest, after 2 days of buying and playing mc fro the first time i was able to a local server, then quickly onto my remote server, to upgrading with plugins and ready to write plugins (the api is pretty straight forward also).

Good luck to any other new-hosters feel free to come by and say hello.
    (I don't believe in greifers, just ban-lists and papasmurf.sh ;) so please behave appropriately server address lifemud.com)

~Mor's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.