"The Ship" plugin

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by SkizzlePig, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Offline

SkizzlePig

I suspect I erred in my previously posted thread. My apologies, Admins. Lemme give it another shot ...

I'm very interested in a plugin that mimics the gameplay mechanic of The Ship. Basically, each person on the server is given a target. Your mission is to find your target and kill them. When you do, you'll then be issued a reward and their target. You can also kill a player that has you as a target. You'll be punished for killing other players.

There should be a config option to control death inventory drops.

The tricky part is determine how to manage targets when players join and disconnect.

PS Admins: Sorry for not reading the posting rules prior to my previous thread on the same topic. I've read them now ... (Previous me = Idiot)

2. Offline

bobacadodl

WTF.... I've already been working on a recreation of this game in minecraft o_o. The game isn't that popular either so this is quite a coincidence

3. Offline

SkizzlePig

Bob, I can assure you this is a complete coincidence. I loved The Ship! Awesome game play mechanic. When I saw the Assassins plugin here, I immediately thought of requesting something like it, but much more like The Ship.

Do you have a build that we could install on our server to help test?

I should point out that I'm looking for something relatively simple that can be extended over time.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  4. Offline

bobacadodl

What I meant by my previous post was that I was just really surprised! I wasn't accusing you or anything :)

I don't have a build out to test yet, but I should have one by this weekend.

Another question that I have to ask is do you want this plugin to be the essence of your server? Like your whole server is all about the The Ship in mine craft? Or do you want this to be something that players can play at anytime? (a mini game-type thing)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  5. Offline

SkizzlePig

Great question. In my mind, The Ship will be running constantly. The plugin will, though, need to play nice with other plugins; mcMMO, Essentials, etc.

If we want to turn The Ship off, we'll just remove the .jar and restart the server.

Does that answer your question?

6. Offline

ColaCraft

I did not ask, but I have to say; Not entirely.

Do you want there to be an arena? Or do you want the entire server to be based around this game ?(like Survival Games, Paintball, etc.).

7. Offline

SkizzlePig

Ah! That makes sense.

I imagine it being completely open world. That's the excitement of the experience. You can be assassinated any where while doing just normal everyday activities.

That does bring two questions, though. Cola, I think you and I already discussed the first (having a config for death drops [true|false]) and how to find your target. I don't have a solution for the second, but I think we can solve it later.

The other issue is going to be managing players connecting and disconnecting. Maybe you roll onto a new target, if your previous disconnects.

8. Offline

bleeblob

this sounds fun!

9. Offline

SkizzlePig

There's a couple additional config elements that should be included ...

- Minimum Players to issue targets: Controls how many players must be on the server to start The Ship. Should default to 3. If there are less than the minimum players on the server, none of The Ship elements are enacted.
    - Reward: This is an item ID that is issued to a player when they've killed their target. The item shows up in their inventory.

Some server commands would be nice ...
    - Suspend: effectively stops The Ship plugin from issuing targets and tracking kills
    - Resume: Er ... the opposite of suspend

10. Offline

Kiakaha

Variable triggers could help this so much in such ways as...
    *Log Player joins/Quits to keep the chain of killing intact
    *create a Find player which gives you a location they have been past in the last minute or so (random so its not too easy)
    *Issue that Reward item on kill (not quite sure how this item affect the game, Is it person with most kills wins the game even if they die before the end?

11. Offline

SkizzlePig

I really like that "Find Player" idea. Especially, if it gives you historic information, not real-time.

The reward item is basically just a way to show other players how many kills you've made. It doesn't make any difference for the game.

12. Offline

Kiakaha

what i would do with the finder is make it save all players location every say 2 minutes

then when you called a find player it would tell you a random persons last seen so it would be fairly accurate but out of date info

you could probably also add some randomness to the coords given to throw unlucky people off track

13. Offline

SkizzlePig

... AND you could bump something onto the console of the target ...

"Someone is looking for you ..."

14. Offline

Hoolean

Great idea for a plugin! Please let me know how this goes!

15. Offline

spycrab0

If youre still intrested i did something like this , check it out