switching over from permissions 3.x to permissions bukkit

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by wachnlurn, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

wachnlurn

I very much like the idea of one leading permissions system and not having to determine which permissions system will be leading the way 1 or 2 months from now. I have been using permissions 3.x on my server since it opened. So I have yet to attempt to change it.

I am very weary of just running it and hoping for the best. I do not want 2000+ users not able to do anything while i fix a problem or have to rebuild all the groups from scratch. (yes i should have a test instance up and running but i don't, yet)
    The way i understand it, permissionsbukkit adds group functionality to the built-in craftbukkit permissions.
    Is it a simple cut and paste of my users.yml and groups.yml for each world? that doesnt seem to difficult at all.
    Do i need to uninstall permissions 3.x at all? I have other plugins which provide additional functionality of the permissions 3.x groups Timerank being the most important.

Is there a tutorial available for switching from permissions 3.x to permissions bukkit?
    The thread for permissionsbukkit v1.1 says its for CB1000. is this even the end all be all of permissions systems. Is this what we as bukkit server admins should be using?

Thank you for your time

2. Offline

baffu

I'm in the same boat as u. A vid would be nice!

3. Offline

HansAnderson

There are three options for permissions systems. PermissionsBukkit, PEX, or bPermissions. Sadly, you can not just copy and paste. Yes, you will want to disable Permissions 3. And for groups, you'll have to check if those plugins (like Timerank) work with one of the new permissions plugins.

Codename_B appears to be very helpful with converting from Permissions x.x to bPermissions, if that interests you.

4. Offline

baffu

Permissions bukkit is the built-in one. I have yet to see instruction on how to use the built in one. Do you know where it is available.

What of those permissions systems are most widely supported. So they all work with al plugins

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  5. Offline

HansAnderson

PermissionsBukkit is not built-in. There is no built in permissions manager. If you would like to get PermissionsBukkit and find out how to use it, search the forums for the PermissionsBukkit thread.

6. Offline

baffu

Oh. What's the permissions.yml in the root folder.

7. Offline

wachnlurn

Now im reading about SuperPerms being the end all be all for for permissions. Confusing to me, yes. Reading my first post over, it occurred to me that i (and probably other server owner/operators) sound very whiny and needy. The more we complain the more the bukkit team is going to take control and take away the flexibility of craftbukkit eventually leading less options. More of one way to do it, less chance for a server owner to get ahead. That's how i see it anyways. However Im going to continue to elaborate with how i understand it and what i want :)

I i think i understand that craftbukkit has what i'll call "default" permission nodes built in. It handles these in a =true =false sense. you can add custom nodes in the permissions.yml in your root directoy. Does the bukkit team have a specific plugin meant for us server owners/operators so we can "configure" our groups and individual users permissions. One that eventually all plugins will fall in on and provide support for? If that's not the case I suppose i will go back to determining which permissions plugin best suits my needs at the time.
    What if in the future i want to have a webbased GUI for my server and allow someone to manage plugins for a specific world and manage the user/group permissions related to that plugin?

8. Offline

HansAnderson

By root folder of your server, it means the folder that your craftbukkit.jar is located in. Permissions.yml is a file name of a file in that folder. Look in the FAQ section of the PermissionsBukkit thread for how to use it.

9. Offline

wachnlurn

Is permissionsbukkit falsely advertising their plugin as "The Official Default Groups Plugin" if so is there an official one? That may be the misunderstanding.

10. Offline

HansAnderson

It was the first to use the new system of permissions and the plugin was promoted (at least at one point in time) by DinnerBone. I'm not sure if the title of "official default groups plugin" still applies. I see how that could be confusing, no worries.

11. Offline

baffu

I think permissionsb by codename_b looks like it is a good alternative to permissions yeti. Thereis a built in command to switch you over!

12. Offline

wachnlurn

yes that is what i meant by root folder
    Do you have a preference for what permissions plugin most developers are falling in under now? and thus create less work and less research needed to be done by me, the server owner/operator.

13. Offline

baffu

So permissions bukkit just another plugin no the official one?

14. Offline

wachnlurn

seems to be that way. So far i see these permissions plugins
    permissionsbukkit [1000]
    PEX [1000]
    permissions_b [?} maybe the build isnt really that important past 1000

So where does SuperPerms fall into the chain of command here? is that also a 3rd party plugin or a "codename" for bukkits internal permissions.

15. Offline

baffu

I haven't seen any instruction on super perms. Would you suggest any single one of these oluginsover another for so mine coming from yeti?

16. Offline

wachnlurn

17. Offline

baffu

Ya. As I said I like that one the most. Easy conversion

Waaaait. When it says it's a super perms manager what does that mean

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

18. Offline

wachnlurn

I feel more and more like a user everyday :)

its used to manage superperms which i "think" means it manages the built in permissions of craftbukkit

19. Offline

baffu

Ok I think I'll use that? Good? What do you use?

20. Offline

wachnlurn

it looks to me like multiverse uses permissionsbukkit and since that would be a core plugin for my server i may have to go with that

my next step after determining which permissions plugin to use will be to find an alternative to Timerank for automated rank ups. seems that plugin is inactive

21. Offline

baffu

By multiverse u mean it is widely used? I like the looks of permissionsb. But I'll need research. Goodnight

22. Offline

wachnlurn

i think i need my own personal developer to come work for my server :)

23. Offline

baffu

I feel the same most of the time :p
    What I want is the Skype name for each plugin developer :d

24. Offline

wachnlurn

then after i have a developer, ill need a web developer, "game administrator" i have a sysadmin and some mods....so eventually ill be pushed out of the picture :D

25. Offline

codename_B

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ne...pmanager-to-bpermissions-just-got-easy.34148/

Uninstall permissions 3.x (delete the jar) but do not delete the /plugins/Permissions folder.
    Run bPermissions
    Use the command /p import p3
    Job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.