suggestion: parse plugin.yml file for initial project creation

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by dunbaratu, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

dunbaratu

The information a plugin developer must include in the plugin.yml file, and the information that a plugin developer must give in the description text field when first trying to submit a new plugin have an enormous amount of overlap to them: Description, command-line usage, permissions usage.

Why not provide a field where a developer can upload the plugin.yml file instead of typing all that in a second time in a slightly different format?

For the same reasons that Java has Javadoc, it would make sense to generate the plugin's description page automatically from the plugin.yml source. Typing them separately means maintaining the same information in two different places, which is both time consuming and prone to the error of having the human-readable information mismatched to the actual source.

Discuss.

2. Offline

Hoolean

Oh wow, I totally forgot that existed! I'll finish it off :)

mncat77 likes this.
  3. Offline

dunbaratu

Hmm, that looks like the sort of thing that would make an appropriate plugin admin tool or API tool project right here on bukkit itself. I'll have to think about that. Something that has a "main" so it can be run externally, and you attach it to your plugin and all it does is read the plugin.yml file with YAML api, then spit out a WikiCreole formatted version of the same thing.
    (edit: saw the ninja'ed post by Hoolean, tagged here as well).

4. Offline

Hoolean

dunbaratu

I'm going to recode it as when I originally made it I was terrible at Java.

Do you think it should be on a website or a standalone application? A website might be easier; you paste in your plugin.yml and an overview gets churned out :)

lol768 likes this.
  5. Offline

dunbaratu

That might be easier, and perhaps increase the chances that bukkitdev would make it a standard feature, since it would be 95% of the way there to already being like what they would need on the web interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.