Sql?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Numenorean95, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Numenorean95

Which Sql (or type thereof) is the best? I need to store large amounts of data, and i wasnt sure which of the many types was the best to use for Bukkit plugins.

2. Offline

cheese5505

I Reccomend JDBC For MySQL. Check Out My Tutorial Here: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/43445/

3. Offline

Lolmewn

There's also a SQLite and MySQL library made by @alta189

4. Offline

DomovoiButler

which taken over by @PatPeter ...xD

5. Offline

Numenorean95

Thanks, i found the library, but it looks like it has alot of problems.
    I have used this before, but does it work with the single-jar Sql databases?

6. Offline

DomovoiButler

looks like it has problems?hmmm, u sure? i was planning on using it too but i havent tried it yet...have you tried it yet?

7. What do you mean by single jar databases? I use JDBC as well.

8. Offline

Rednax_

If your looking for the best SQL database, take a look at postgreSQL,
    If you are looking for the best SQL database for bukkit, I'd reccomand MySQL, since the build in libraries wotk perfectly with it.
    Just import java.sql.*
    Not sure if these libs work on any other SQL database other than MySQL.
    google on "java mysql tutorial" for more tutorials than you can read in a month...

9. Offline

halley

Questions of the form, "Which X is the best?" is just asking for a bickering match. There are multiple flavors for a reason. There's no one axis to measure to say "this variety of TNT Blocking Plugin, er, SQL compliant database is the best."

For hobby servers, SQLite seems to be fine for lightweight use. Many public game servers (and plugins useful for these game servers) need more industrial-scale support and go with MySQL. Sure, you could spend the dough and make all your custom plugins work with Oracle or something. It's a matter of balancing ease-of-installation, ease-of-learning and workhorse capability.

Then there's a matter of commonality-- PostgreSQL seems about as easy and capable as MySQL, but I haven't seen any plugins demanding it. Coke vs Pepsi, and in this case, Pepsi lost the taste test.

10. Offline

thehutch

Urgh pepsi :p

11. Offline

Numenorean95

Some plugins i have seen use a downloaded jar of aSql, whereas others require a server-run mysql installation. Is there any noticeable difference between the two?
    Yea, its looking like i will just stick with MySql, simpler that way.

12. I don't understand what you mean? MySQL is a server :p unless you mean you mean they use external libs like SQLite which just provides access to a local database file. This doesn't require a server it instead creates a SQL database file. But the JDBC MySQL connector lib converts JDBC calls into the network protocol used by MySQL (official info http://dev.mysql.com/usingmysql/java/). If the server being used has a fast processor and plenty of RAM I believe MySQL would be the better choice. SQLite however is better for things that are lower end (it says here that it is used on mobile-phones and set-top boxes) as it is similar to reading from and writing to a normal file. If any thinks this is wrong please correct me :) So to sum up, in my opinion I believe SQLite does have a small advantage in some uses but this isn't one as most minecraft servers are pretty good :) you could eventually offer both options if it's requested for example.

13. Offline

Numenorean95

Ok, yes that all sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

14. Offline

PatPeter

Mine or alta's? I've been meaning to fix it but I've had no free time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.