[Split] PermissionsEx discussion

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Alexander852, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Necrodoom

i still see months old issues with PEX, mind giving examples of some of these (with build numbers of when they have bug and when they dont, or just the commit)

2. Not stating about the support/bug-fixing practice of PEX dev(s): that is for sure a big problem, yet a permissions plugin bungling something will likely lead to such and similar trouble, so one can't compare bugs in permission plugins to bugs in "silly-hat-plugins" easily, of course one expects permission plugin developers to react on bug reports about permission breakages.

It might be slightly misleading to just judge the age of a report. Bukkit most likely has year old tickets pending, not all of which are feature requests. Some can't be reproduced, some might have been fixed already (probably bad maintainance, probably the reporters did not check again and the ticket became "inactive"). One needs a little more information to make a durable statement on that, so maybe go ahead with examples.

3. Offline

liversnaprocks

Lols priv itself throws NPE's with latest bukkit dev. PEX is the simplest, most reliable, and that is why it is used most by servers. PEX is already updated to 1.4.6 and works unlike priv.

4. Offline

Necrodoom

priviliges never needed update, since it isnt using dirty reflection.

5. Offline

TnT

Privileges needed no update between Minecraft version releases, and circumstantial evidence suggests its currently the fastest permissions plugin available.

6. Offline

Necrodoom

why was i quoted? i was supporting that.

7. Offline

TnT

Because, good sir, I was backing up your statement.

8. Offline

Zankla

I do have to give PEX credit for me even beginning to understand permissions

https://github.com/PEXPlugins/PermissionsEx/wiki/Basic-Permissions-Setup

Is how I learned to understand them in the first place.

I have grown to like Group Manager more and more as I get to understand their reasoning behind the set up they have.

GM is working very smoothly for me. PEX did until 1.4.6 and for what ever reason which I do not know it would give me errors. even with the latest build. But as far as understanding permissions PEX is probably the easiest to grasp if you have no clue about permissions, at least for me.

tanveergt5 likes this.
  9. Offline

liversnaprocks

There is a new pex build

tanveergt5 and s32ialx like this.
  10. Totally off topic, but I just had to mention in...

There is just something very cool and satisfying to see a link posted to a page that one had a major hand in bringing it to it's current state. :)

11. Offline

falkensmaze

I appreciate what HmmmQuestionMark is trying to do in response to mbaxter 's assertion. If the claim is true that legitimate API-compliant plugins break because of PEX, it should be possible to create one that legitimately does so, at least some of the time. Concurrency bugs are a minefield, so let's throw a few weights around and look for evidence. Maybe settle this heated argument with a cooling bucket of facts.

s32ialx likes this.
  12. Offline

s32ialx

There's a hole in the bukkit, dear Liza, dear Liza. lol

13. Offline

owenftw

I have been using PermissionsEX since the first permissions died which was like 9+months ago?Never had any problems with PEX :]
    and my server has 46 plugins, 7worlds and 50+ players online most of the time.

s32ialx and tanveergt5 like this.
  14. Offline

tanveergt5

I think it's a conspiracy by Bukkit...

Can someone tell me alternative that has MySQL support and so that I can have players access a site enter their prefix, go in game, boom their prefix is there? name me 1 permissions plugin that can do that and I will try it on my pvp server.

15. Offline

evilmidget38

There's already an example by mbaxter that shows that Server's broadcast(String, String) method is broken. According to the javadocs, what this method should do:
    Broadcasts the specified message to every user with the given permission.
    What the method doesn't do when you're running PEX:
    Broadcasts the specified message to every user with the given permission.

The example can be found on Page 2 of mbaxter's document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BIgAU7senSG1hY0BjQAQFAnbuOqFhpln7ffN6pkOp4s/edit?pli=1
    I have just tested this with the latest release of PEX, it is still broken. And before anyone says that mbaxter simply does a check for PEX and breaks if it is installed, I decompiled the file. The only thing it uses is the Bukkit API. Source code below:
    Code:
    package org.kitteh.fail;

import org.bukkit.Server;
    import org.bukkit.command.Command;
    import org.bukkit.command.CommandSender;
    import org.bukkit.permissions.Permission;
    import org.bukkit.permissions.PermissionDefault;
    import org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin;

public class FailPlugin extends JavaPlugin
    {
      public final String PERM_STRING = "fail.ure";
      public final Permission PERM_OBJECT = new Permission("fail.ure", PermissionDefault.FALSE);

public boolean onCommand(CommandSender sender, Command command, String label, String[] args)
      {
        sender.sendMessage("This is message one.");
        if (sender.hasPermission("fail.ure")) {
          sender.sendMessage("This is message two.");
        }
        getServer().broadcast("This is message three.", "fail.ure");
        if (sender.hasPermission(this.PERM_OBJECT)) {
          sender.sendMessage("This is message four.");
        }
        getServer().broadcastMessage("This is message five");
        sender.sendMessage("This is message six");
        return true;
      }
    }

TnT, np98765 and mbaxter like this.
  16. Thank you for an explanation. I've never used getServer().broadcast() with a permission node before, which would probably explain why I've never got this error from one of my plugins.

17. Offline

codename_B

I'm curious about these circumstances ;)

s32ialx likes this.
  18. Offline

TnT

I still use bPermissions though, but she's been a cruel mistress of late.

19. Offline

chakyl

Reading this thread makes me angry... Why can't we all just use the plugin of our choice and move on? It's not like people are going to change other's opinions simply by yelling at each other.

20. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

The problem is that, for the last YEAR, PEX has been broken in such a way that it causes mayhem across multiple plugins. See this post for instance. http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/split-permissionsex-discussion.119099/page-5#post-1485933

21. Offline

chakyl

22. Offline

codename_B

She has. Sorry about that.
    Good news though, async saving is back! ;)

jerry98765 likes this.
  23. Offline

Tanite

I saw this on the DBO page and it kind of scared me off of finally migrating over:

24. Offline

codename_B

I'm sorry but real life must take priority.

25. Offline

Tanite

Don't apologize for that :p I wasn't suggesting (nor do I believe) otherwise. I just didn't know what it meant for update time at patches and such, which is something most admins have to take into account of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.