Sounds

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by sfxworks, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Offline

sfxworks

I heard you guys could call sounds now.

Would be cool to place a sign under a block and trigger a sound when the player stepped ontop of it.
    ex:
    [Sounds]
    SoundId#

Various other things could be included too. Repetition, different ways to trigger, ect. Most I could think off the top of my head at the moment.

Then you could just have a custom server resource pack and play your own on command or whenever you needed them.

2. Offline

Alshain01

Sounds pretty simple with one possible complication. "Under a block" can mean a lot of things for a sign. It can be placed upright on a post, or it can be attached to a block face.

Another possible pitfall is it would have to monitor the PlayerMoveEvent which gets called a lot and with enough players, constantly checking for a sign under the location they move to it could lead to a lot of lag.

3. Offline

sfxworks

Erm, how did MinecartMania do it?

Maybe there's a different event for Minecart detection.

If it's that consuming, how's a redstone signal like a pressure plate?

4. Offline

Alshain01

I've not used MinecartMania, but I would venture a guess they use a detector rail or something similar, which would be a redstone event. Redstone events can fire a lot too, but not near the volume of player move event.

5. Offline

sfxworks

Oh nono

They had a feature in MM where you would just place a sign under or-
    Oh I remember it now
    The cart passing by would check for signs within a 3 block radius? maybe...

either way, -around a track within a 3 block radius (or however you specified it in the config) which would allow you to change the carts direction, speed, ect.

How's Redstone --> Jukebox with a sign on it that says [Sounds] [Id#]?

6. Offline

Alshain01

This can be done with a command block. No need for a plugin.

7. Offline

sfxworks

[​IMG]

8. Offline

Alshain01

Ok, well that sounds like the VehicleMoveEvent then, still less than PlayerMoveEvent.

9. Offline

Desle

Alshain01
    What do you mean with
    It's not like that matters much.

10. Offline

Alshain01

Originally I was thinking it would matter for the coordinates but now that I think about it more, placing it on a block face would still be the same "Block" coordinates as if it were a sign post since it's the block that it's in, not the block that it's attached to.

It doesn't matter, I think he can get what he needs from the command block.