[solved I'm sure] Restore Blocks?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Bobfan, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Bobfan

I plan on having a command to restore destroyed blocks, but does anyone know the best way to do that?

2. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

Log them everytime they are destroyed, and log their coordinates .

Note that this will cause lag if you've never done this before because efficiency comes from practicing with it.

3. Offline

Bobfan

I mean format wise. Would a .yml file be good enough, because I thought there was a better way?

4. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

Well personally if I didn't get many players and it was kind of a test rollback, I'd store to YML just because it's my most familiar and easy to use format for saving, setting, retrieving, loading.

5. Offline

Bobfan

What about a MASS demolition of blocks, lets say, 6,000 blocks in a couple minutes, (at most) because I want to be sure, and not have to recode it.

edit: What it is used for, to be more specific. I am making an Avengers plugin, and nobody really wants their cities destroyed, unless they can regenerate it.

6. Offline

Darq

Well I wouldn't use YAML to store a large amount of block breakage data. You're definitely going to see a significant amount of time used just parsing and saving the file.

MySQL is a safe bet, though - quite a bit more setup required, but a query to get thousands of block breaks won't take long at all.

Bobfan likes this.
  7. Offline

Bobfan

Looks like a hassle. Than again they both do. I am thinking about having a .yml file store the blocks data, because I only plan on using it on command. It wouldn't be stored every time someone breaks a block. 2 commands: one to save the blocks, and one to regenerate the blocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.