Solutions to reduce server lag?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Kzkas, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Kzkas

Hello, I am a Minecraft servers developer and I've been experiencing some lag issues with one of our servers lately. The server itself uses the newest craftbukkit recommended build (1.2.5 R4.0) and runs on a VPS which has 12 Ghz (6x2) Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 CPU and 16 gb (DDR3-1333 ECC REG) RAM. Basicily, my server has 50-90 players from morning to night. Everything works just fine then there around 0-60 players, but it starts to lag then server reaches 70-90 (max) players.

Plugins:
    AntiAdvertising
    AntiRelog
    AuthMe
    AutoMessage
    ChestShop
    Essentials
    EssentialsChat
    EssentialsSpawn
    Factions
    FalseBook
    GmList
    GroupBasedPVP
    HideStream
    iConomy
    Infected
    LagBeGone
    LWC
    MagicSpells
    mcMMO
    MineBackup
    RemoteToolKit
    MoneyDrop
    MyCommand
    Orebfuscator
    PaidRanks
    PaySystem
    PermissionsEx
    PluginList
    Residence
    SimpleReserve
    SpamGuard
    TempestEnderCrystal
    UltraBan
    Vault
    WorldBorder
    WorldEdit
    WorldGuard.

I'm looking for a solution to this problem and I hope you guys can help me. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks :)

Still looking for help!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  2. Offline

sverre26

You have too mutch max players

3. Offline

Kzkas

This isn't the solution to my problem. There are many plugins with much more players and they have no lag.

4. Offline

Wendo

Is the lag system wide, or just in some areas?

Since bukkit is only single threaded you only really have a 2.4Ghz CPU to run this so it may simply be that your CPU core is maxing out. Assuming you've been sensible with your ram allocation to the server and left enough for the OS it could also be that your HDD isn't keeping up with all the random IO. What is your HDD setup? Are you running from a ramdrive or SSD or is it just a standard HDD?

5. Offline

Fuzzwolf

Kzkas Spigot is forked from Craftbukkit++, a version of CraftBukkit designed to minimize CPU usage and as a result, lag. It's main feature is how it handles the Minecraft growth and spawning algorithms. Using the core features alone (there are some additions, but most are already present in plugins like NoLagg) my server's processor rarely dips under 70% free where as it used to get as low as 40% during peak times.

But yeah, as Wendo said it's a lot about Minecraft being single-threaded. You need to get everything out of your one processor, which is why I regret going with a 2.66ghz xeon model instead of a sandybridge. This plugin really helps to get the most out of your machine.

6. Offline

omgitsmewazap

I'm just wondering if it's the same with minecraft as cs/css. But maybe not
    Xeon is old CPU, taken over pretty much by i7. But because xeon is old, it won't use all 16gb ram would it? If you were to upgrade to i7 nearly maxed out I'm sure it could use all 16gb of that memory, just wondering as alot of ram is good but you won't use it all unless you have a good cpu

^^Like fuzzwolf kinda said, sandybridge would help.
    It's kinda like them old intel cor 2 duo processor or whatever (2 2?) Why have that and 16gb ram? You can't use all of that ram, that's why the max ram then was pretty much 3 or 4

Anyone else?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  7. Offline

Wendo

Uhh, what?

Xeon is the brand name for Intel's server CPU's, just like Core is a brand name for it's desktop CPU's. It's still very much a current product

8. Offline

TheBeast808

1. Don't use a VPS. Get a dedi somewhere.
    2. Get a better processor. 2GHz won't hold 100 players no matter how many cores you have.

9. Offline

Omnitv

Moar RAM! Moar CPU!

10. Offline

Kzkas

Thanks guys, I'll try to use your suggestions.

11. Offline

bvkkitnoob

maybe some of your cpus are parked? :-/

12. Offline

Steelsouls

One thing that would help is to replace orebfuscator with Anti X-ray. Orebfuscator takes a ton of resources, especially on a large server. Anti X-ray doesn't show fake ores, it instead limits how much ore a person can mine until they play more. It basically doesn't directly stop X-ray players, but it doesn't let them take more than a fair share. Not as directly effective but will free up a lot of resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.