So long, and thanks for all the fish

Discussion in 'Staff Goodbyes' started by TnT, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TnT

With a heavy heart, I must say goodbye to Bukkit. Bukkit has been a huge part of my life for the past 3 and a half years, and one chapter I am sad to close. My start with Bukkit was as a regular community member seeking out a server mod to use to replace hMod, so I could run my own small private server (I think all I wanted was Teleportation at the time, which hMod allowed). This evolved into writing tutorials on running a CraftBukkit server (as there were very few at the time), and spending countless hours in Bukkit Help spreading my knowledge to those Server Admins who needed support getting their server running, or diagnosing their problems. Bukkit Help became my personal stomping ground as I became intimately aware of all changes going on with CraftBukkit from a Server Admin point of view. Those interactions led me to want to take a more active role in assisting the community, eventually leading up to being approached by EvilSeph to take on a moderator role.

Fast forward a year, and I can proudly call all the Bukkit Staff, including EvilSeph, friends. When Mojang hired the original team, the question was posed about who should be project lead should EvilSeph step down, as a succession plan is very important to sustaining any project, Bukkit included. The question was put to a vote, and my name was presented as the candidate of choice. I’ll admit, this completely blew me away, but I was honored to be chosen. Luckily, EvilSeph continued to remain on as the primary lead of the project, while I proceeded to handle the day to day tasks. Bukkit Help matured along with the project, requiring less personal attention, so I branched out into every aspect of Bukkit, with the exception of handling any development (I think I made a javadoc update once though). I am proud to say I had a hand in creating the PR Handling process, managing BukkitDev, managing forum staff and making sure I was available in every aspect of the project - from helping to write our announcements, to bringing on new staff members when needed and so much more.

What is often misunderstood about Bukkit was how the organization was ran. There has never been a decision made that was not made via a committee. There has always been a group consensus on all aspects - from handling BukkitDev approvals to forum rules and finally, yes, shutting down the project. This was truly a community run project. The core team was all formed from the existing community. The forum staff was all made up of community members. BukkitDev approvals were all handled by community members. Volunteers ran the project in every aspect, and as a team, we decided how to best proceed with decisions. As for Mojang’s involvement, not once in my time as a Bukkit Administrator did I hear from Mojang, or felt I could reach out to them for assistance when required and it came as a complete surprise that Mojang was willing to step up and help out. In the over two years that Mojang has claimed to own Bukkit, the original core developers hired by Mojang and Mojang itself was not present when we needed them most with the exception of EvilSeph himself continuing to pour countless hours into the project, at risk to his own personal health. Perhaps Bukkit wouldn’t have been shut down, or had such a difficult time maintaining the project had we known we could work closer with Mojang, as well as avoiding this whole EULA confusion.

The decision to keep the acquisition of the Bukkit codebase a secret was made between Mojang and Curse, which only recently came to light. I was completely unaware that I had spent the last two years of my life as a Bukkit Administrator, and successor to the project lead, under the illusion that the project was independently ran. Had I known back then perhaps my choice would have been different, perhaps not. It’s easy to speculate on what might have been, but unless faced head on with the choice, the decision is not always clear.

What I do know is the recent events has not changed the inevitable decision I have came to today, and its one that has been long coming. I am now the proud father of a beautiful 4 month old baby girl, who lights up my life, while also consuming my free time. I no longer have the countless evenings and weekends available to spend working on new processes, smoothing out issues, and responding to forum posts. I hung on this long only because I couldn’t leave knowing the project was hurting for volunteers, and I couldn’t just walk away given the current state. Bukkit has grown to be an extremely large project, and is incredibly time consuming to manage. I felt that I was abandoning the community of which I have grown so fond, as well as EvilSeph himself. I could not come to make that decision, it didn’t feel right.

Now that Mojang has assumed control of all aspects of Bukkit, that gut wrenching decision is more palatable. Not because I harbor any ill will toward Mojang or the Bukkit community, but because I know Mojang has the resources available to really improve Bukkit. They can work with Curse to ensure BukkitDev has adequate staffing to handle the rigorous approval process - which has an incredible track record for keeping the community safe from those less savory elements of human nature. They can help when we have bugs that should be fixed in Minecraft itself. They can ensure whatever community contributions added to Bukkit can be taken into the Minecraft codebase itself. Now, more than ever, our community can actively contribute to Minecraft in a very real, direct way. You should submit your PR’s now, your code may very well contribute to the base game itself, an aspect which makes me want to dust off my 13 year old Java books and start developing again. In any event, should Mojang want any help in transitioning over the project to their control, I will gladly provide assistance where I can.

I would personally like to thank all the volunteers who have contributed to Bukkit over the years. Our forum moderators have done wonders keeping this a welcoming, warm community. Our developers who repeatedly spend hours updating Minecraft, adding API and improving the codebase. Our many other unsung volunteers handling aspects from PR handling, to advice. Last but definitely not least, our BukkitDev staff who have spent countless hours keeping the community safe, as one of the most thankless tasks we have.

I am extremely excited to see what Mojang can do with their vast resources to help the very community where some of its most prominent developers had their roots. This is exciting news for the Minecraft community in general, and perhaps when my daughter is old enough to play, I will meet up with you again on one of your fantastic servers, enjoying the features of one of your cool plugins. For now though, my family and my daughter comes first for my attention, as well as my heart.

2. Offline

RopeDog

All will disappear ? Including Plugins page ? :(

3. Offline

Vidsify

Firstly, I want to say thank-you for all you hard work over the last 3 years with Bukkit. I know you will sadly missed as you can probably tell from all the comments. Secondly, congratulations on your new born and I think the community understand that now you will little time to help out. But when you can come back and say Hi! :)

4. On the ending of the singleplayer of battlefield 4 you hear a theme for kjell
    I hear the same emotional song right here my own server is not gona last fpr long because of the eula ( with lucky i survive another month but im afraid i have to close it down ) it feels like that theres a whole somewhere in me or better said in bukkit i really hope that this will not be continieud ( yes i know thats wrong english my english sucks ) or become on of those failing projects because of this eula. All the servers are gona get into a dark time many servers will not survive the eula ( if they are really gona check this ) cause i cannot survive this. Running a minecraft server is not fun without plugins and or bukkit
    I dont want to becone sombady thats like fuck you mojang.
    But it all begun with there eula and now bukkit whats next the minecraft servers ?

5. Offline

IvanTheForth

Thank you for everything you have done TnT. While I never had the fortune of getting to know you, I always saw you helping to keep the forum going.

Wishing you every success
    - Ivan

lol768 likes this.
  6. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

I feel this is necessary to express the gratitude that we have for your service TnT

I, on behalf of the entirety of the Bukkit community award you with the (un)official Golden Bukkit award!

[​IMG]

You've earned it.

I spent an hour making this...

7. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

The title references! XD

8. Offline

EdenCampo

Thank you for all the things you've done, your contribution to the community will be long-remembered.

9. Offline

xbenas

TnT Thank you for everything![diamond]

10. Offline

Mike1022

I have doubts in Spigot...

11. Offline

zxin

... Bye

12. Offline

Hyperven0m

You've been such a help thanks!

13. Offline

IceAspect

It is always sad to see a person leave who has been with us for a long ways. Sad to you go.

Well, that is life. You need to take one road or another.

14. Offline

franckie20

I'm not that good at goodbye's so... Thank you for everything!!!! @TnT

15. Thanks for all your hard work TnT. Wish you and your family all the best. :)

16. Offline

Tommy Schmidt

RIP Thanks for everything!

17. Offline

GamingStudioX

18. Offline

ShadowDrakken

Mojang picked up Searge recently too... does that mean they also picked up MCP and perhaps Forge just as covertly, I wonder? (purely speculative, please don't think I'm making an accusation here)

Cliffordlittle likes this.
  19. Offline

Thomas5020

Bye TnT, thanks for enabling me to run a server for my friends... :) Had some great times, but will not be the same without you...

20. Offline

Drkmaster83

Boy, oh, boy... I feel like I've just lost a close relative, and that I'm at their funeral saying my final goodbyes, tying loose ends...

TnT,

I never knew you that well, and I'm sure you never knew me that well, either... However, that didn't mean that you weren't a role model or a person to look up to. I'm sure you were the motivation for tons of Bukkit community members to strive to be Bukkit(Dev) Staff. You always did what was right (closing down Spigot threads) even if you thought it was a neat idea or whatnot. You're truly righteous. Most administrators or moderators of generally anything, after a while, become somewhat hostile and corrupt... you did yourself well in not doing so. You seemed approachable, and barely intimidating (no offense, of course... I'm talking about when you had to contact someone about a moderation issue or had been randomly tagged on a thread). You were a very understanding person, and that's something that you hardly see today in society. You have had and will continue to have this great morale about you, and I wish you well because of that.

I can't thank you enough for being a huge part of this community, keeping it in check, maintaining it, and being a large contribution to Bukkit's success.

Now, very sadly, it is time to say goodbye to Bukkit (as we know it, at least..), and to you as well. You will be dearly missed, and we all hope to take you up on your offer to play on one of our servers in the future. I can't necessarily speak for others, but I personally wish you well and a great time on being with your family and friends, and you definitely deserve it for your ruthless dedication throughout these past years. I know it was a hard decision to make, but since you, the Righteous One (as I've now deemed you), have made this decision, I know it's the correct one.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it's truly heartbreaking that this is happening, and that I hope we can one day just meet up and hang out (perhaps like a very awkward high school reunion on a 25,000 slot server).

Long live Bukkit no more... this will undoubtedly create a void which people will desperately grasp around for things to fill. I hope that Bukkit's source or base ideas will continue to live on in future projects.

I'll miss you, TnT. Have a great life, good fortune, and live long and prosper. xD (Bro Love <3)

21. Offline

pookeythekid

Wow, it makes me a little emotional to read this. Such greatness Bukkit has become, and I, too, hope Mojang will help it blossom into something greater than it's ever been before.

22. Offline

Samakin

All I can hope is that Mojang will actually carry on this incredible project. It has been amazing to follow for so long, and I hope it gets even better!

23. Offline

cnniillaa

Respect

24. Offline

Deathmarine

TnT you my friend, will be missed here. I want to thank you for lending an ear when I needed it. There is not enough gratitude for the help you gave me. You are a good friend, and things around here will be different. You made a huge impact on the community and this project in general. I'm sure you won't forget us as we will not forget you.

-Josh

25. Offline

bluekr

Too bad it stopped, couldn't wait to see the 1.8 update of bukkit :'(
    Anyway, it was great this project had existed and continued quite long, R.I.P. Bukkit [cake]

26. Offline

McMhz

Pretty sure Bukkit 1.8 will be released soon.
    https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/502389963606867968

27. Offline

Boeing747guy

I remember using Bukkit since 1.7.3 (Back in 2011)
    I will miss all the good times I had with this server mod, and I will wish the Bukkit team a good run next time.

28. Offline

sickray34s

I know i havent talked to you at all but from the kindness of my heart i send my farwell i hope you enjoy time with your Fam i cant say how much you done for all of us i used alot of your Tuts i never commented but today i hope you know that alot of people will miss you. Even me. Farwell..

29. Offline

sethseth6

<3 Goodbye, old friend... We'll miss you, and to think I've been using Bukkit since when it first came out, and I just only signed up to say goodbye............ [torch] :'([stick]

30. Offline

WyrdWyrd

You are welcome for the fish. May you and your dolphin brethren swim well.
    --
    Furry cows moo and decompress.

31. Offline

LeeTheENTP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.