Setting up and can my computer handle it

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Benie, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Benie

Title says it all. I'm thinking of starting a server for some friends. It will have Railcraft on it, and a few security mods to stop griefers (not sure what ones).

So anyway, my computer can handle Minecraft in SP just fine. But I'm concerned about how stable a Multiplayer server and my client will run on the same computer. Here's my specs;
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9550
    GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 250 GS
    Memory: 4GB DDR-2

If it's capable, I need a list of security plugins for use in a friend server, but has a map that I care for alot and will fight to the death to protect it. Hoping there's plugins that will help with this. They also need to be easy to install and especially use.

2. Offline

7cardcha

Don't be a 'tard. I need more information to make a non retarded observation on this matter.

1. What is your internet speed.
    2. How many players do you want on the server?
    3. What other stuff do you want to be running on this computer at the same time?

3. Offline

Benie

Look, I don't know, alright? I'm not a server guy. All I asked was for help, not name-calling.
    If you can't, then I'll wait for someone that will.

4. Offline

7cardcha

I was kidding.

I can't give you an answer without that info sursly.

To test question 1 go here.

You should know the answers to 2 & 3.

5. Offline

Swang

This site is good to at least get a general idea of if you can handle just a few players or if its more twords a dozen, I wouldent expect much more with the hardware you listed. Not saying the hardware is bad so much as I'm saying the server software is really heavyweight.

http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

I can tell you that you will not want to use the computer for things other than serving Minecraft while it is busy with that task. This includes playing Minecraft on that system.

A off the top of my head list of security plugins - youll have to research what works well for you.

LogBlock
    Hawkeye
    Towny
    World Guard

You really want to look into a permissions manager like bPermissions or PermissionsEx as well. I've used em both. bPerms is easier but PEX has more flexibility IMO.

6. Offline

Benie

Ok. I'm seeing 10MB down, near 1MB up. For question 2, I have really no idea. I was planning to share my server with a small IRC channel. So, maybe um... 2-4 people?
    And the third question, it'll have Railcraft and RedPower 2 for server use. That should be all that my map requires. But as I said before, I don't know what anti-griefing plugins would work best that will protect my map.

I want to be able to allow them to build cities or towns; as long as its themed and near my existing transit system. Someone told me I might need at least 6GB for private server use, but he said that he hosted before with 4GB and it worked ok, and that I should be fine. But I need a second opinion.

The server, my map will have lots of active trains rolling around it, via Railcraft and RedPower 2. I've heard those can cause lag, so that might be an issue. Yeah. My map isn't server-friendly.

7. Offline

7cardcha

4 is going to be about your max. You can handle it though. The internet speed is what's limiting it not you computer.

8. Offline

sillyrosster

Benie
    Are you planning on having it 24/7 or just up when you want to? I would just rent a cheap $5-$10 minecraft server from one of the 1000s of hosts out there. They are cheap and it'll work without hendering you from using your computer a lot while the server is running.

9. Offline

Swang

Yeah your upload speed is gonna hold you back but providing there isn't more than 34 or for people logged in at any time you will probably be ok. I at one point hosted 6-8 people on 2GB of RAM but my upload was above 8mb then. If I recall correctly Railcraft allows for carts to keep chunks active which if that is true will increase memory usage. By how much will depend on how spread out you are. With Redpower2 from what I have seen most of the lag is from the water screens and circuitry. Normal redstone can cause lag too but Redpower2 is more compact about it.

If its people you trust you could get away with just a loggin mod like Hawkeye to deal with a problem if it happens. If you want to play it safe something like Towny would allow you to specify where the towns are and provide block protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.