Setting eyeLocation/f of a player?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by HyrulesLegend, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

HyrulesLegend

I can't seem to figure out if this is possible, does anyone know if it is?

2. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

Max_The_Link_Fan
    If you are asking to get the block of the player's head level, just add 1 to the Y of the player's location.

If you are asking to get their line of sight, there's a specific getLineOfSight() method.

3. Offline

HyrulesLegend

AoH_Ruthless I believe it's the line of sight, I'm talking about the direction the player is facing.

4. Offline

JRL1004

Max_The_Link_Fan I think this is related to Vectors. I'll look into it for you (since I need this for a plugin I am making).

Max_The_Link_Fan likes this.
  5. Offline

The_Doctor_123

Max_The_Link_Fan
    Get the direction of the player's Location by calling getDirection() in Location.

6. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

Max_The_Link_Fan
    I think I misread your title by accident, so sorry about that. :oops:

7. Offline

Zach_1919

Max_The_Link_Fan I just happen to know a fair bit about vectors. Now when you look up stuff about it, you'll see a bunch of confusing bits and bobs with pitch and yaw and whatnot. This is unnecessary with the Bukkit API. To get a player's vector/velocity, do this:
    Code:java
    1. player.getEyeLocation().getDirection();

After this, you can manipulate that velocity. Say you want to launch the player forward in whatever direction they're facing. Do this:
    1. player.getEyeLocation().getDirection().multiply(3);

You can mess around with the 3 and change it to however powerful you want it. Say you want to launch someone straight up. You can do something like this:
    1. player.getEyeLocation().getDirection().add(0,3,0);

Again, that 3 is interchangeable. You can mess around with the different methods and figure out what you want to do.

I hope this helped!

8. Offline

JRL1004

Zach_1919 WRONG! it's player.setVelocity(/*your stuff*/) if you want that to work

9. Offline

Zach_1919

JRL1004 OHH yeah sorry about that, haven't worked with them in a while. Do everything the same that I said, but insert my code into the parenthesis:
    1. player.setVelocity(**MY PREVIOUS CODE**);

So something like this:
    1. player.setVelocity(player.getEyeLocation().getDirection().multiply(3));

10. Offline

JRL1004

Max_The_Link_Fan So I think I made a method to do this, I'll post if it works or not once I test it (which I am about to).

11. Offline

The_Doctor_123

JRL1004
    Err.. why..? Vectors are easy enough to work with..

12. Offline

JRL1004

The_Doctor_123 Why test? Because even though vectors are simple, I am still human and want to make sure I did not have any mistakes.

13. Offline

The_Doctor_123

JRL1004
    You didn't understand what I said correctly. I was meaning to say that you can't really make Vectors any more simple. It's a bit pointless to make a method to do something unless if it's really complicated Vector math.

14. Offline

JRL1004

The_Doctor_123 Not true, sometime you just want to be lazy like me and put something like setPlayerEyeLocation(Player, Location) and have it done :)

15. Offline

The_Doctor_123

JRL1004
    You positive about those arguments?

Anyway, as good as it is to take advantage of methods, that's a bit too far.

16. Offline

JRL1004

The_Doctor_123 Well I would've had the math within the method to compensate for whatever arguments I choose. As for taking methods too far, what is wrong with making a method for everything I plan to use more than once? If I can get a decent reason not to I will make it a personal goal to cut down on unnecessary methods :)

17. Offline

The_Doctor_123

JRL1004
    What you're doing is almost like this:
    1. public int add(int v1, int v2)
    2. {
    3. return v1 + v2;
    4. }

18. Offline

JRL1004

The_Doctor_123 Umm not really, I'm not so bad that I use methods for that. My methods are usually from 3 to 30 lines depending on complexity. Of course 3 lines isn't much but it beats one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.