Setting Essentials' Permissions for different groups

Discussion in 'General Help' started by willowen100, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

willowen100

Hi guys,

This has probably been asked loads of times but I never get the right answers. Basically I have five groups set in PermissionsEx
    • Member+ (VIP)
    • Builder
    • Admin
    The majority of servers have very basic Essential permissions but I'm making my server better by offering more features to standard users, Member and Member+ in my case. However, how many of you have actually spent some time going through every single Essentials permission and assigning them to each group accordingly?

I have attempted to make the permissions for all five of these groups and took me four days for a few hours each day. Has anyone gone through each permission one by one for their server?

2. Offline

aterruit

If you plan on being a good server owner, the right way is usually the longer/harder way. I recommend you add each node to your default class, and then only add your speciality permissions to your speciality classes while at the same time, inheriting the permissions from their appropriate parent group.

I've been running MC servers for over 4 years now, and I've always found that if you do it the right way, the first time, you will save yourself hours of downtime in the long run.

3. Offline

Larry Newman

I also agree with this.

I've gone through every single permission node by node and done it with all 70 of my plugins. But it shouldn't take you hours and hours to complete this.

Also, the majority of servers appear to have limited essentials permissions because there's lots of sub commands and things you don't see in /help. There are lots of other plugins that servers use for their massive amount of donator ranks. They usually have one base command that would display in /help but when ran, it would display lots of sub commands. That takes a lot of node-adding.

4. Offline

willowen100

Would it be stupid to set the permissions for each group without using the inheritance? Unless of course there's a way to inherit the majority of permission from the child group but ignore some?

Why it took me so long was because there were some permission nodes I didn't want to inherit from another group. In the end I decided to set every Essentials permission node one by one to each of my four groups, of course equalling a lot of hours working out what group should have what permission node. I've also made a MS office document with a table to keep the four groups separated to allow me to see the comparison of permissions side by side.

If you guys have any better ways of managing the permissions because I would love to know. The reason why I'm not placing them straight into my permissions is because I don't want to take any risks of the permissions file/DB going corrupt and deleting all my permission nodes. This is why they are in a file on my computer than can be backed up and easily edited.

On the subject of Essentials permissions I also want to ask, what if you come across a command/permission on the help webpage that you don't know it's function? For example all the meta-item stuff was extremely confusing and there were also lots of duplicates.

Many thanks

Will

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. Offline

Larry Newman

@willowen100 You can inherit permissions through groups, but if you want to block some permissions from being inherited, you put them under the new group, but you put two dashes instead of one. I'm pretty sure a lot of permissions plugins have this sort of syntax and I'm assuming that you use one :p

Take this for example:

groups:
    Default:
    default: true
    permissions:
    - essentials.help
    - essentials.help.*
    - essentials.help.factions
    - essentials.helpop
    - essentials.list
    - essentials.motd
    - essentials.rules
    - essentials.spawn
    - essentials.eco
    inheritance: []
    info:
    prefix: '&e'
    build: false
    suffix: ''

This is a default group in Essentials Group Manager. Lets say you wanted a group called 'Builder' to inherit from default, but you don't want certain permissions from default.

Builder:
    default: false
    permissions:
    - essentials.home
    - essentials.me
    - essentials.msg
    - essentials.sethome
    - essentials.warp
    inheritance:
    info:
    prefix: '&2'
    build: true

Lets say you didn't want Builder to inherit the permission essentials.help
    You'd add essentials.help to the Builder group, but you'd put 2 dashes

Builder:
    default: false
    permissions:
    - -essentials.help
    - essentials.home
    - essentials.me
    - essentials.msg
    - essentials.sethome
    - essentials.warp
    inheritance:
    info:
    prefix: '&2'
    build: true

The two dashes negates a permission which basically disables it for that group.

6. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

7. Offline

Bobcat00

I have. And not just for Essentials, but for all of the 30+ plugins I use.

8. Offline

willowen100

Do double negated permission nodes work in World specific permissions? Just to make it clear I am using PermissionsEx as my permissions plugin.

For example if I set
    Code:
    - essentials.speed.walk
    in the global/main permissions for my Hub, Creative world and PlotMe world but then set
    Code:
    - -essentials.speed.walk
    in the Survival world, specific permissions (listed further down in the permissions file), will the permission stop working in the Survival world?

Code:
      Member:
        options:
          default: true
          prefix: ''
        permissions:
        - essentials.speed.walk
        worlds:
            Survival:
                permissions:
                - -essentials.speed.walk
    If not, would it be more sensible to not list the permissions I don't want enabled in the main permissions and instead only set the permissions I want enabled in the specific world permissions?

Bump

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.