Set sender as variable?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by TheEnderCrafter9, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm a novice programmer working on a private server and recently created my first plugin (just /heal and /kill).

I am working on a hug command that will tell someone they have been hugged by X (or sender)

I have successfully created a variable for the target using arguments (args[0])

Is it possible to set the sender as a variable that I can use with the ' sendMessage(); method'?

For example setting the sender to DERP which when printed would print the username of the sender

sort of like:

Player Derp = sender;

SUMMARY
    I am trying to make a variable based of the Commandsender (in our case DERP) that will read the sender's username when printed in a sendMessage instance.

Btw, feel free to correct my java terms if I classified them wrong.

2. Offline

cluter123

Check if the sender is an instance of a player. If it is, cast the sender to the player. Then you can do target.sendMessage("You have been huged by " + Derp.getName();

3. String = varible (sender or plarer).getname

4. Offline

Irantwomiles

Player derp = (Player) sender;

5. Offline

mcdorli

Please, read the main post

So, there are 2 possibilities, 1.: you have a fix message, and you want to put the player's name in it somewhere. To do this, you need to first cast the sender to a player (make sure sender is a player before you cast), then use Player#getName(), and concatenate it with other strings ("You was hugged by " + player.getName())
    The other possibility, is you have a dynamic strong with a placeholder in it (for example {PLAYER}), then all you need to use is String result = yourMessage.replace("{PLAYER}", plaser.getName())

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.