Server Upgrade to New Version

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by meshein, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

meshein

I am new to administering a server. Maybe someone wouldn't mine stepping me through this and answering a few questions. I just got a 1.1 server up and running, and am currently setting up the map itself (cities and such). Before that I installed and configured plugins. I also set up permissions.

Now 1.2 comes out. I have not updated the server yet or updated craftbukkit. I have noticed that other server have updated to 1.2 using the development builds. But I am 99% sure they also are using plugins. I obviously don't want to update if I can't use plugins at all.

The following is a list of the plugins that I am using (on 1.1):
    Essentials
    Multiverse-Core
    WorldGuard
    Vault - forced for petitions
    PremissionsEx
    LogBlock
    FalseBook
    MineBackup
    Multiverse-Portals
    PetitionPlugin
    Vanish No Pickup
    Disco Sheep
    Mob Disguise
    Modify World
    World Generation Control - not critical
    Auto Save
    Xray Informer
    Auto Announcer
    Custom Crafting
    Mine Query

I would like all of these in 1.2

I am currently waiting for the recommended build and for the plugins to show as 1.2 when I search for them in bukkit. But is this waiting needed? I know there is some risk of corruption. How much risk is there?

Once I can update to 1.2 I will be making a new map so I don't have to mess with the odd chunk transition as a result of 1.1 vs 1.2 areas. I want to confirm that this process for switching is correct. Could someone confirm this?

1. Change the name of the old (current) map.
    2. Make a new map that will be fully generated in 1.2.
    3. Use multiverse to connect the two with a portal.
    4. Copy and paste items over to the new map.
    5. Delete the portal and portal information.
    6. Delete the old map.

Once again, I am new to this whole process and I want to do it right. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.