Server TPS Fluctuates

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by JoshArgent, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

JoshArgent

Hi,

I've recently moved my server to a dedicated 8gb RAM server that has some amazing specs compared to my previous host.

For some reason the TPS keeps dropping to around 5TPS and then after about 5 minutes it goes backup to 20TPS as it should be. This usually happens when there are about 30-40 people on the server.

My plugins list: LagMeter, TuxTwoLib, MultiInv, ChestRestock, GetInventory, WorldEdit, JustWarp, NoCheatPlus, WarpSigns, VanishNoPacket, BKCommonLib, Lockette, NicePM, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, VanillaWorld, TimedMessages, Votifier, WorldGuard, Multiverse-NetherPortals
    2 of those plugins are custom made. VanillaWorld teleports players to a different part of the world 1000's of blocks away from each player. NicePM is just a simple private messages and chat channel plugin.

I have 9 worlds, 2 of which have been disabled because we fear they're corrupt.

My server timings: http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5667900

Here are some timings from when the TPS was 9: http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5667967

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,
    Josh. :)

Bump

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  2. Offline

ShadowDog007

First of all, make sure all your plugins are updated. Along with CraftBukkit.

3. Offline

JoshArgent

All plugins are up to date and I'm using the latest craftbukkit dev build.

This is interesting.
    Plugin Timings report @20tps - http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5670905
    Plugin Timings report @9tps - http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5670900

Something to do with the PlayerQuitEvent and PlayerLoginEvent. What should I do?

bump. I really need help fixing this. Please :)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

4. Offline

astroskillz

5. Offline

ShadowDog007

Okay, well,WorldGuard is out of date. So that is not true. Check, and double check.

You shouldn't be bumping so often.

I had issues with one of my HDD's a while back on my server. It was dying, and everything hung up when something was loading from the disk (Like loading Chunks)

JoshArgent
    Try remove all of your plugins. Except LagMeter, and see if your still having TPS issues.

6. Offline

JoshArgent

On our dedicated server we setup another Minecraft server with no plugins but on the same hardware. That server ran perfectly so the hardware is fine.

Our server is ran off an SSD.

Do you have any suggestions for an alternate region protection plugin?

7. Offline

ShadowDog007

JoshArgent
    Did you update world guard?

Again, make sure all of your plugins are up to date. Also make sure your CraftBukkit is the latest version.

A better test, would be to just remove all the plugins from your server.
    Or copy it to another location and test it. (with/without plugins)

8. Offline

JoshArgent

WorldGuard is fully up to date, likewise is Craft Bukkit.
    I've spoken to the server host and they ran some tests, they said the hardware is fine.

I have my permisions sql database on an external server. Is it possible that connecting to the sql database is causing these tps drops?

9. Offline

Jeyge

Run a "/wg report" when your tps is low and post the results. It can sometimes expose other issues.

10. Offline

JoshArgent

11. Offline

Jeyge

You have some people running mob grinders. Try to butcher your mobs and see if it makes it any better.

12. Offline

JoshArgent

That hasn't fixed it. I think it's a bit more than the server been overloaded.

What's the best way to tell if your world is corrupt?

13. Offline

Jeyge

You could try to run VoidChunk on the world. Make sure you follow the advice in the 3rd post though on how to enter your actual world when running it. Also, you seem to be truncating your timings report and have left out the parts that might give more information into what is going on. You probably have your reasons for that though.

14. Offline

JoshArgent

I haven't cut out anything from the timings. I just did /timings merged.

15. Offline

Jeyge

I guess it was just the very small amount of time that it was allowed to run on the server. I was just shocked to not see any entity tick events with that many mobs on the server. I would have expected to see more time spent in those events but I guess with less than a second of timings, they didn't have enough time to tick. Unless those numbers are only available in Spigot.

16. Offline

JoshArgent

Jeyge yeah I only ran it for a short while.

Do you think that if I switch Pex to flatfile instead of using an externaly hosted sql database it could fix my problem?

17. Offline

Jeyge

It has been a while since I looked thru the PEx code so hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it will read from either the database or the flatfile more than once every 5 minutes unless prompted to thru commands. Your timings also aren't showing any unusual numbers from PEx. From my own experience with low TPS numbers (this was back in the 1.3 days though), it was the number of mobs and people running redstone devices that caused us problems. I tried to keep the total number of mobs around 1k which I know was pretty low but you currently have around 85 mobs per person on the server which seems a bit high. You might want to check for redstone though to see if that is possibly causing other problems. I used a plugin called RCD to check for clocks but I see it hasn't been updated since 1.2.5. It might be worth checking out though.

18. Offline

ShadowDog007

JoshArgent

I wouldn't bother using an external MySQL DB unless the ping between it and your server is much less than 1.
    That is likely what is causing your issue. Players logging on, and it having to read player permissions?

Then when they quit saving them?
    Possibly.

Try flatfile perms. See what happens.

19. Offline

JoshArgent

Jeyge I'll have a look at the plugin. If I wanted to change the amount of mobs per person what config options do I change? What kind of redstone things am I looking for?

ShadowDog007 I've switched to flatfile now. The lag usually happens when the server gets busier later on so I'll update you then. Thanks :)

I don't think it's an issue with connecting to the database because after switching to flatfile permissions the Login And Quit events are still really high. http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5673303

What could be causing this?

Okay so I've used lag meter to show the amount of entities. It works out about 150 per player. Also when the server has about 60 players on the amount of chunks loaded is around 8000! That's 133 chunks per player. I've already lowered the view distance and the amount of mobs that can spawn in a chunk.

The thing with my server is that every player is teleported to their own part of the map 1000's of blocks away from other players. In other words there are no 'shared chunks' loaded. Each player loads their own set of chunks depending on the view distance. I'm guessing this is why the amount of loaded chunks is so high. Do you think this amount of chunks and entities could be causing the lag?

EDIT: My entities have been at around 6000 and chunks at 8000 and the TPS has been fine. 5 min later the entities and chunks haven't changed much but the TPS drops to 9.

20. Offline

ShadowDog007

JoshArgent
    For reducing the number of mobs you could use MobManager :)

What exactly do you protect with word guard? Do you use regions?
    The majority of the listener for PlayerQuitEvent only runs if you have regions enabled.
    If you don't use them, then there's not much point having them enabled.

21. Offline

JoshArgent

I'll have a look at that plugin.
    I use worldguard for region protection. Is there an alternative I can try?

22. Offline

ShadowDog007

Also, you might want to make a ticket with the WorldGuard devs.

23. Offline

JoshArgent

I've created a ticket. :)

Have you got any more suggestions on what I can try? Is having 8000 entities going to cause lag like this?

24. Offline

ShadowDog007

Probably. With MobManager you should be able to cut that down to about 4-5K without lowering the number of mobs each player comes across.

If you don't already, you might want to consider changing your server over to Spigot. Which is a high performance version of CraftBukkit.

25. Offline

BrianGamesLOL

Is the map recently genned?

26. Offline

JoshArgent

I'll definetly look at MobManager. I was using Spigot before but when I started getting TPS drops I switched to Bukkit to see if it was to do with that. Thanks for all your help. :)

No, the map is about 8 months old. (Not sure what version that was).

27. Offline

BrianGamesLOL

You most likely would want to gen a new one. so its completely updated.

28. Offline

astroskillz

Please note that spigot is incompatible with some plugins.

29. Offline

ShadowDog007

astroskillz

He was using Spigot before, so I don't think that will be an issue.

30. Offline

astroskillz

Ah, didn't see that. Never mind then ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.