Solved Server Texture will not download

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Doskei, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Doskei

Note: I debated posting this as a reply in Zachary_Peculiar's thread, but ultimately decided against it as mine is distinctly a different problem...

I cannot seem to successfully configure my server to use a recommended texture pack. I get prompted for the download when I connect, but it never works.

server.properties line:
    texture-pack=https\://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19081877/lbdoskei.zip

I have also tried using the same link but with "?dl=1" appended, and I have tried using a (known-good) FTP address, hosted on the same server as craftbukkit. In all cases, I am able to access the file download directly from outside of minecraft, but within minecraft I cannot get the "automagic" process to work.

First time trying with any link:
    I get the prompt "This server uses..." and I click yes, and I am in the game but the pack never downloads (no files added to \texturepacks folder) nor is it applied.

On subsequent connections to the server:

With either Dropbox link...
    I get a brief glimpse of
    Code:
    Downloading Texture Pack
    Making Request 100%
    Then the game runs normally but with no custom textures.

With my FTP link...
    I get a brief glimpse of
    Code:
    Downloading Texture Pack
    Downloading file (-0.00MB)... (-xxxxxxxxxxxx%)
    The percentage climbs rapidly up through the (negative) numbers, then the game runs as normal with no custom textures.

Warning: the link above is live, but is for testing only. It is for a pack I use locally when I play, which is simply a combination of several x64 packs that I like a lot. I do not have permission to redistribute their work, and I would ask that you delete the pack, or at least support the original artists, if you should end up successfully downloading the pack. Thanks!

LB Photo Realism Pack 64x64 Version 9.0.5 by Scuttles
    1.5.1 HerrSommer 1.5 - v2 by DerSommer
    [1.5] Misa's Realistic Texture Pack (Misa version 5.0.0) by Misa
    [64x / 1.5.2] Ornate 5 Revived | 1.1.1 by DesuMotoko
    [64x] [1.5.1] Smooth Realistic Pack by DasLisal
    [MC 1.5.1][64x] T42's HD Texture Pack by tpelham42
    Wolfhound by ThistlePack

2. Offline

fussionzz97

Doskei
    Is this a custom texture pack? Open the ZIP do you see just 1 folder or a bunch of folders and files?
    Also the texture pack must be 16x16

3. Offline

Doskei

fussionzz97

Thanks for the reply...
    a) yep, custom texture pack / lots of folders.
    b) according to the server.properties page on the Minecraft Wiki, HD texture packs are supposed to be supported as of 1.5. I'm using CB 1.5.1-R0.2 and 1.5.2-R0.1 for these tests.

4. Offline

teunie75

5. Offline

Doskei

teunie75

Thanks for the attempt, but no the link was fine - or at least, the backslash in front of the colon wasn't the problem. It's an escape character automatically added to the link by CB when it loads server.properties. If you have a CB server try it yourself - put the "fixed" link in the texture-pack line, launch the server, then reopen server.properties. You'll see that the backslash has been added.

6. Offline

teunie75

Doskei Didn't know that:oops: , saw the link, I though it was wrong.
    Try to remove the 's' in 'https'

7. Offline

Doskei

teunie75

Good thought, but nope, same behavior. And the (http) URL works from a browser, so dropbox does support non-SSL links to public folder content.

Gar!

8. Offline

teunie75

Another attempt: Download the file, put it in the server folder, and link that in the properties.

9. Offline

Doskei

teunie75

Not sure what you mean.

Hey all ~

Thanks for the help. Ultimately, @fussionzz97 was right, and the Wiki was wrong. HD packs are not supported.

I downloaded two packs straight from planetminecraft, one x16 and one x64, to test the theory that the problem was with my file itself. Sure enough, the x16 pack will download and apply correctly. The x64 will not.

In short, unless I'm missing something, the verdict is that whoever claimed HD texture packs were supported in the "automagic" downloader was full of shit.

Marked as solved - but if anybody has a workaround, I'd love to hear it.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  10. Offline

GRNDPNDR

HD packs are supported, 32x anyway, im using one now. I dont know about the negative numbers but i know there is also a limit of 10,000,000 bytes (just under 10 actual MB) if the pack is larger than that, even by a single byte, it won't download.

This is a limitation in minecraft itself and something the coders dont seem to want to change even though HD packs are supported and are larger.

11. Offline

Doskei

GRNDPNDR

Ahhhhh, well, thank you. This is the kind of data that should be in the wiki :mad:
    I think I shall do some verification tests, and then add it.

A big thank you to all who replied!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.