Server related Questions

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by evilmidget38, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

evilmidget38

Well, I'll start by apologizing for the very non-specific title. Not really sure what I should call this thread.

Moving on, I'm curious about servers, and have a few questions that I'd like to hear answered by staff/administrators/owners of other servers, just to see their opinions(maybe even facts) on some server related questions.

1. How many Megabytes do you aim to have per player? I've generally heard people aim for numbers between 100-200.

2. Which plugin do you feel has the largest impact in terms of RAM?

3. Which plugin do you feel has the largest impact on CPU? (I'm going to guess world edit, just due to the extreme demands of changing 100,000 blocks at once.)

4. Do you use an unmanaged VPS, a managed VPS, or a dedicated server?

2. Offline

Jade

1. I've gone with 20MB/player, personally.
    2. WorldEdit, but you need to give a list of the ones you'd have active for the most impacting, but WorldEdit is easily beaten out by Orebfuscator, and maybe even Essentials.
    3. WorldEdit or Orebfuscator (Or LogBlock/BigBrother/etc if installed and large playerbase)
    4. Dedicated Server, unmanaged. VPS if Xen, no OpenVZ

3. Offline

ImminentFate

I'd say give around 60Mb per person, which allows a generous amount for plugins to take hold of as well, and reduces lag.
    Worledit is highly intensive, but anti-cheat plugins take the cake on both CPU and ram usage. Don't use Orebfuscator if you only have a 1gb server. Seriously, don't. Essentials, with the million features it offers, may sound brilliant, but it's not optimized completely. And the seer number of features make it intensive too. Settle for something like CommandBook and then add iConomy and bPermissions or whatever you need after.
    I currently host on dedicated, but I'm going to remove it soon. If you can't keep a dedicated community on the server, it's better to host it yourself so you don't lose money with no one actually playing on it.

4. Offline

Jade

ImminentFate is correct with the 60MB, depending on the plugins being run.

5. Offline

TheBeast808

1. I have 70mb/player
    2. LogBlock. Not directly, but through the reading of large databases.
    3. Residence. I don't know why, but according to NoLagg Examine it takes more time than any other plugin.
    4. Unmanaged dedicated.

6. Offline

Omnitv

Good thread.
    Cookie Approved.

7. Offline

np98765

If you calculate my RAM/player... 5120MB/50 slots... You get about 100MB per player. But you have to remember that I have like 50 plugins, so... Yeah.
    I've gotta say, the most RAM/CPU usage...Orebfuscator. I've had issues with dynmap lagging everyone, too.
    And I host my server on my home computer... Soon upgrading it. It wouldn't be worth it to pay monthly to host this. ;3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.