Server Randomly 'Closing' [Read for more]

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by 3ric, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

3ric

Well, a few days ago I upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM. Other than this, nothing has changed regarding my software, server, Bukkit, plugins, etc.

The problem is my server randomly stops itself. There are no error messages in the logs, no warnings, nothing. It also seems to rollback the last 10 minutes or so. This has happened twice in the past two days.

Are there any logs in the operating system (Ubuntu 11.10 in my case) that would have logged this? My only guess is that I might have a faulty stick of RAM, yet all 16GB is showing as it should.

2. Offline

croxis

None that I know of. Have you left a terminal window open so you can see what the output is? Some errors may not make it to the logs (this is just my speculation). Also does it shut down or just stop?

3. Offline

3ric

Terminal wasn't open.

4. Offline

croxis

I suggest leaving the terminal interface open, what way you can see the issue.

5. Offline

Tanite

When I was having OOM crashes they were showing up in /var/log/messages (I think that was it).

6. Offline

3ric

I always have the terminal showing, even while I'm playing:
    [​IMG]

Yet, twice when I got home, the terminal simply wasn't there and the server had stopped.

7. Offline

grandwazir

I have had this issue occassionally, server will stop running, no errors in any log. Way I got around it was to check if the process was running every minute and if not start it again. Not ideal but it worked. Oddly enough I stopped doing this a week after having no stoppages at all and they started to reoccur again.

Not the most helpful answer I know but you are not alone with this problem!

8. Offline

3ric

Which operating system are you using? Hardware?

Well, it hasn't happened since I posted this thread. I'm currently running 1.0 vanilla and it's behaving.

9. Offline

croxis

If the terminal closes the process will abruptly stop. There are ways around this using programs like Screen or Dtach, or even using init scripts to have the system manage it.

10. Offline

3ric

How would it close by itself?

11. Offline

croxis

Not a clue. is the computer set to go to sleep or standby?

12. Offline

3ric

No. No screensaver or anything. No one else touches my computer either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.