Solved Server operating System

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by daboross, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

daboross

I am running a server that works fine except for the fact that it lags with 5 or more people. Bukkit is running on my old inspiron 1501 laptop, running a 32bit version of windows 7. I was wondering if it would be worth it to back up the server, wipe the disc and install a different operating system.

Edit: I am running Ubuntu Server now.
    Edit: I am no longer watching this thread. Tahg me if you reply.

2. Offline

jacklin213

yes install xp i had the same computer as u did and u forgot to say its DELL laptop

3. Offline

Gravity

Linux is usually recommended for running any type of server.

4. Offline

yttriuszzerbus

Agreed. I recommend Ubuntu: it's easy to use and quite fast.

5. Offline

daboross

Ok, I will get Ubuntu. Will it increase lag to have windows installed as a alternate operating system, even if I never use it?
    I realized I have some files on there that I don't really want to wipe

6. Offline

Gravity

Nope. You can install ubuntu (or any other linux distro) side-by-side windows, and when the computer boots you can choose which one to use. The only downside is that the hard drive space that you don't partition to Ubuntu wont be able to be used; it will basically sit as dead space and vice-versa when you boot into windows.

7. Offline

daboross

Ok, Thanks. I think I can give them each 100gb, which should be enough.

8. Offline

EnvisionRed

I personally use CentOs but I only ever use it via SSH, so if you are getting a remote server it's probably the best option.

9. Offline

Gravity

I use Ubuntu for everyday stuff, on my main PC, and I typically use CentOS on servers.

10. Offline

daboross

I just installed ubuntu on it, and I think I'll stick with that for now. The server computer's screen has a broken backlight, so It is kind of hard to work with without teamviewer. Thanks for the help, everyone!

11. Offline

Gravity

If you have another computer it might just be easier to SSH into it/use SFTP/FTP and use it like that. You will need to know command line, but the basics are not that hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.