SERVER HARDWARE: Raid controller

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by MrFancyPants, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MrFancyPants

Does minecraft ever need a raid controller. And when would that be.

I am buying a new server and it will have a Samsung 840 500read/500write speed. Considering that is a raid with two or more of these necessary and when?

2. Offline

zipfe

They manage physical drives, nice to have on any server, Minecraft or not. It's about storing data on multiple devices for redundancy. It means your OS "thinks" there is one physical drive it's writing to / reading from, while in fact it's more than one physical drive where the data is stored.

MrFancyPants likes this.
  3. Offline

MrFancyPants

I know its a good idea from a redundancy aspect, i am more interested in performence. Will having a raid or not matter for my minecraft server?

Its likely gonna be a Dell Poweredge-t110-2 with Xeon E3v2 3.6 GHz, 32 Gigs of ram, and likely a samsung 840 SSD Drive. Just wondering if there would be any situation where this disk would not be able to handle the load with or withouth a raid controller.

The raid controller that comes with this server does not have good linux support.

4. Offline

zipfe

It's more about data security. An insurance company would want to use RAID, to make sure not data gets lots due to a drive hardware fail.

It's not about CPU power, RAM or bandwith — the things that do affect Miencraft performance.

MrFancyPants likes this.
  5. Offline

MrFancyPants

Exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks zipfe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.