Server crashing, RAM overhead, CPU Spikes

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by DeMaggo, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DeMaggo

Greetings everyone,

We have been busy for more than one week now, trying to solve the problem since we updated to minecraft 1.5.

We recently created some own plugins, so we tried our best to find the mistake in our own plugins, but couldn't find any. In a special test, running without these, we found out, that they werent the problem. We also tested out nearly every single Plugin we have on our server, not getting any improvements.

What happens?
    The RAM is constantly raising by small amounts over time, not related to any plugin or entities. Most likely caused by some sort of memory leaks.

At seemingly random points the CPU spikes, raising the RAM consumption even more. In some cases, no matter how much RAM is consumed already, the CPU spikes almost permanently and will keep doing so until the RAM reached 100% and the server crashes. This happens in about 5 seconds and cannot be stopped.

When does it happen?
    There seems to be no special relation to commands or plugins we use, there is also no predictable time at which it happens. It just happens once in a while. We tested virtually everything by now, that was influencing the server by the point the spikes start.

Any exceptions?
    In some rare cases the logs show up an exception after some minutes since the server has been gone down. This is the most recent one:
    This seems to be a bukkit error. We updated to the latest DEV versions as soon as we could, hoping for a change.

Thank you in advance,
    the Timberman.de Team

2. can you give the full error?

3. Offline

DeMaggo

Congratulations, that gets you +1 post.
    No offense, but everything that's related to this crash and we managed to find is in this post.
    We are not dumb.

4. Offline

bad339

Actually, that is a valid post; no need to be hostile towards him. Just give the full error report and don't be so rude if you want to receive help from people.

5. Offline

PolarCraft

That error is from a exception in the bukkit dev build.
    That java.lang.OutOfMemoryError is saying that your out of memory. If you don't mind me asking how much ram do you have?

6. Offline

DeMaggo

bad339
    I posted all I we have into that post, as I pointed out before. I'm not willing to diskuss this any further.

PolarCraft:
    That is exactly what we derived from the exceptions. I am posting here since Bukkit errors should be seen by Bukkit developers.
    We have 6.5gb of ram free for the Minecraft server. The spikes fill it up from 1.5gb to 6.5gb in about 10 seconds. Our hardware is strong and a custom server, not one from nitrado.

7. Offline

PolarCraft

DeMaggo why aren't you going to post the whole start to finish server log? Is it because your server is in offline mode?

8. Offline

DeMaggo

The log contains private messages of players, several messages from plugins and also some debugging we had put for our own plugins, searching for the error.

Our current state is as following:
    We deactivitated ALL plugins, changed to offline and online mode. The spikes still appear, even faster than before. This means the error is either contained in one world or on the current Craftbukkit server build. I would like to see someone from the DEV team answering here to clear this up.

9. Offline

Denny6526

Does it still happen if you use a fresh world?

On a side note, I've seen this happen as well. Not as often or as quickly as you're describing, but it is still happening occasionally.

10. Offline

DeMaggo

The thing is... this all started with 1.5. We currently use tools to search for world errors or mob errors, but there ain't any. I will have to submit a report to the Bukkit DEV Team, thanks for your time. Seems like we are not in the position to solve the problem here.

11. Offline

PolarCraft

Why dont you try to find a new build from the bukkit dev team. And also try a new map.

12. Offline

DeMaggo

We took 3 of our CPUs just to clean up any kind of memory leak and compress strings and it works for now. Kinda awful that we run on just 5 CPUs, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.