run.bat file stays as .txt

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Zutiiq, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Zutiiq

Ok so I downloaded the bukkit server program to a folder on my desktop, then I added the
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar -o true
    PAUSE
    to a notepad file, then renamed it run.bat ... but when I pushed enter it stayed as .txt . When I opened
    the files properties it said it was named ''technically'' as run.bat.txt , so as the wiki says to use quotes
    ''run.bat'' but that did nothing either. It says I'm able to click the run.bat file but it just opens the notepad
    text. Why won't it change no matter what I do? I renamed the downloaded .jar file TO craftbukkit.jar, but
    still nothing, anyone know why it's doing this? I did this before in the past and it changed TO a .bat file
    but now it's not doing anything for some reason. I'm using win7.

2. Offline

xDeeKay

If you're using windows, here's what you need to do:
    1. Open any folder.
    2. Click the 'Organize' drop down.
    3. Select 'Folder and search options'.
    4. Select the 'View' tab.
    5. Un-select the box 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

Now you should be able to view the file type of your 'run' file. Yours should appear as 'run.bat.txt' like you said.
    But now when renaming it, you can delete the .txt part and rename it to run.bat

3. Offline

GD_Sevens

You could also retype it in Notepad, and when you save it, you want to go to the 'Save as Type' and select All Files, then name it run.bat. Then it'll be a batch file, not a plain text document.

4. Offline

GODofART

Editing the bat file when you save Push ctrl + s. This is one of the solutions to your problem.
    run.zip

Attached Files:

• run.zip
      File size:
      164 bytes
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.