Inactive [RPG] The MineQuest v0.61 - RPG System with Customizable Quests, Classes, and NPCs [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by jmonk, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Offline

jmonk

MineQuest - RPG System with Customizable Quests and Classes
    Version: 0.62-test
    Overview:
    MineQuest started out as a plugin to add some RPG-like progression to Minecraft. It had 8 (By default, now completely customizable) character classes (4 Combat, 4 Resource - also by default) and you gained experience by doing tasks related to the class (e.g. Warriors fight with a Sword, or WarMages cast WarMage Spells). All combat classes gained health when they went up in levels, and all classes gained related abilities at certain levels.

An example of a custom class configuration is now available: http://www.theminequest.com/node/112

Now MineQuest has grown to be a much bigger project than gaining abilities and extra health. It includes mobs that get harder over time based on a level adjustment (determined by active players in the server). It has built in economy(iConomy Supported)/town systems that are available if people so desire. Most likely the coolest thing so far is the quest system.

Good Places to start in game are /minequest, /cubonomy (economy), and /quest (questing specific). Also poking around the help pages (Linked as more information below) gives some details about more advanced commands as well.

Quests:
    MineQuest is equipped with a system that is being developed so that minecraft can have real instanced dungeons where a select party can teleport into a world that has traps, harder monsters, and special loot. When complete players are brought back to their original locations.

These quests are completely customizable as they only load from a text file. MineQuest will search the bukkit directory for the appropriate .quest file when the quest is started. This means that anyone running a server could write a quest. Not just plugin developers!

The spell system is nothing special, and I'm sure that others exist out there, but what really makes MineQuest unique is the complete package, dungeons and everything.

Requirements:
    MySQL or SQLite

Suspected Conflicts:
    Towny, Essentials Spawn, World Guard, mcMMO,
    Other plugins that modify damage/health

Video:
    This is a video of the first real dungeon created, the first time through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq85ppcwuM8

MineQuest 0.40 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8tYNb0MCM

Installation:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/3

Whats new in 0.60?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9-N9XWfJE

Downloads:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/35
    Backup: http://code.google.com/p/minequest/downloads/list

Support:
    Please read the following FAQ before posting your question. It will help you out by getting the answer faster and help us out by having a smaller volume of questions.
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/36
    There are some forums on the MineQuest site found below.
    http://www.theminequest.com/forum
    If you cannot solve your issues in the MQ Forums and from the FAQ and the bug does not already exist please post it on the bug tracker.
    http://bugs.theminequest.com/projects/minequest

More Info:
    Information about MineQuest and its features
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/11

Changelog:
    Version 0.61:
    *NPC Fix Item Properties (Blacksmith Capabilities)
    *Fixed Ranged Ability Bindings
    *Other NPC Property changes
    *Bug Fixes
    Version 0.60:
    *Idle Quest System
    *Main World Scripting
    *Reputation System
    Version 0.53:
    *Fixed Instancing System
    *Fixed NPC Respawning Issue
    *Updated to b860
    *Fixed money naming
    *A couple hidden features

Full Changelog:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/74

If you love MineQuest then help keep the project alive: http://www.theminequest.com/node/164

2. Offline

Guenael

Thank you so for you it's not so grave.

About Translation of plugin , admin server can change it ? (where?)

thx

3. Offline

jmonk

This will be complicated. Right now all of my messages that get displayed are dispersed throughout my code. However I'll get someone on my team to start a project of putting them all into a configuration file. I don't know how soon we can finish, but we will be working on it.

4. Offline

sonyusa

Jmonk, the dev builds on your site... how new are they? I want to test out the dev builds now that I've converted over to MySQL -- or you can email me the latest ones and I'll help you test (sirius.cybernetics)!

5. Offline

Obinsonray

When you heal/heal other without the materials, it gives you the message where you don't have enough materials, but it gives you exp anyway, that should be fixed too! :D

6. Offline

Guenael

Thank you again, another question (you imagine your plugin is my main plugin now)
    It's possible to turn off or force level about "ressource level of player" ?

Many people are ok to leveling about combat but not about ressource , i try to force in mysql (the level) but it's don't work.

7. Offline

jmonk

Here you go, you seem very intent of getting the most recently broken code.

http://www.theminequest.com/node/41

Thought I fixed this. My code for 0.33 looks like its fine now. What version of MQ are you running? and of bukkit?

The item restrictions will be configurable in the next release.

You said you tried to force your sql? Were you trying to set entries in the classes table? You can probably only do this successfully while the server is shutdown otherwise it won't work properly. I have done this before though.

Since you said such nice things about my plugin if you absolutely need no resources now I can always do a quick build to start new people at level 100 in resources only.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  8. Offline

Guenael

I guess level 50 is enough to use diamond ? But yes that will be good idea , i will appreciate (i ask to people on my forum and almost said : we want to start level 0 about combat but, want to continue to use diamond tool, so high level in resource skill)

9. Offline

jmonk

Try this for a build, but be very careful with this. Once a player logs in and out with this build there is not going back to level 0 easily.

Attached Files:

10. Offline

sonyusa

EHh.... help! :)

Code:
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [INFO] WorldGuard 5.0-alpha8 enabled.
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [INFO] Loaded EssentialsSpawn build 2.1.26 maintained by Zenexer, ementalo, Aelux, Brettflan, KimKandor, snowleo and ceulemans.
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [INFO] [Minecart Mania] MinecartManiaAutocart version 1.09 is enabled!
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [INFO] Done (0.248s)! For help, type "help" or "?"
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE] java.lang.NullPointerException
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE]     at org.monk.MineQuest.World.Town.checkMobs(Town.java:113)
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE]     at org.monk.MineQuest.Event.CheckMobEvent.activate(CheckMobEvent.java:34)
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE]     at org.monk.MineQuest.Event.EventParser.run(EventParser.java:53)
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.scheduler.CraftScheduler.mainThreadHeartbeat(CraftScheduler.java:122)
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:356)
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:283)
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:375)
    2011-04-13 21:21:48 [SEVERE] Unexpected exception
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.monk.MineQuest.World.Town.checkMobs(Town.java:113)
        at org.monk.MineQuest.Event.CheckMobEvent.activate(CheckMobEvent.java:34)
        at org.monk.MineQuest.Event.EventParser.run(EventParser.java:53)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.scheduler.CraftScheduler.mainThreadHeartbeat(CraftScheduler.java:122)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:356)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:283)
        at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:375)

No players can log in, also it converted my DB and said 'can not find ability blabla' over and over.

Also:
    2011-04-13 21:25:17 [SEVERE] Nag author: 'Monk' of 'MineQuest' about the following: onPlayerCommandPreprocess has been replaced with a new signature, (PlayerCommandPreprocessEvent)

:)

11. Offline

Caliver

I'm having an issue on my server after getting this plugin working. It seems whenever someone gets hurt, they keep receiving damage whenever they move and it won't stop unless they die or remain completely still. Is this conflicting with another plugin, and is there a way to fix it?

There is health regeneration on my server and I was wondering if that was conflicting, but I also have other leveling plugins like mcMMO running on my server as well. I tried finding the source of the problem but I couldn't prevent it unless I removed MineQuest. I love the concept of this plugin and would like to continue to use it on my server. I can list the plugins I have on my server below.

- AnyoneSleep
    - Blacksmith
    - ChatChat
    - CraftBook
    - DisposalChest
    - Essentials
    - LWC
    - Lampstone
    - LocalShops
    - MeasuringTape
    - MonsterHunt
    - Questioner
    - Towny
    - Vampire
    - VirtualChest
    - WolfPound
    - WolfSpawn
    - WorldEdit
    - WorldGuard
    - ecoCreature
    - iConomy
    - mcMMO
    - uQuest​

12. Offline

sonyusa

Pretty much any plugin you use that affects health or its regeneration rates will mess it up since it basically re-writes the entire health mechanic

13. Offline

ltan

Caliver, I would suspect mcMMO as the primary suspect. There is a way to turn off it's auto-regen though. What I did was load up only MineQuest, then load each plugin one at a time until I found the offender. In my case it was mcMMO.

[edit]
    and sonyusa is correct. You will need to make a choice about what you have running, or to turn off the regen for the plugins if you can, which is what I did.
    [/edit]

14. Offline

Obinsonray

I'm using 0.33 Minequest and 670 Craftbukkit

15. Offline

Runewar

[MineQuest] [ERROR] Unable to Connect to MySQL Databse
    [MineQuest] You are not connected to a database (try configuring
    erties)
    [MineQuest] Unable to initialize database
    [MineQuest] Check minequest.properties
    MineQuest version 0.33 is disabled!
    Done (0.515s)! For help, type "help" or "?"

i have a server running and it should be connecting, any idea?

16. Offline

ltan

Runewar, without knowing your user and pass, do you have those entered into your properties file? Also, I think that some installations do not properly create the database, if you are using the correct user/pass I suggest going into mysql and create the database in your properties file.

17. Offline

Guenael

It's work perfectly !
    You are fast and efficient :)

Do i change my database engine ? I am using innoDB but that take much time to load when i start and reload server (stuck 1 or 2 minutes jsut before 09:05:59 [INFO] MineQuest version 0.33 is enabled!)

In some case i know MyIsam is better when you use BigBrother.

I have many [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? spaming : when a player log on first time since i change minequest.jar, how i can dodge that ?

thx

18. Offline

Caliver

How can I disable plugins without removing them? Because I tried removing plugins that had health regen, but the conflict was still there. I've tried /plugin disable [plugin name] but it said the function was broken.

19. Offline

ltan

Caliver, what I did was I created a new folder in my plugin directory that I called remplugs {removed plugins}. I then moved the plugs out of the plugin folder and into remplugs, and then back one at a time.

20. Offline

Caliver

Oh, I see. Well I'm on a hosted server with Servercraft.co so I'll just go through the plugins one by one to find out which has health regen.

21. Offline

Mukrakiish

Monk, is there any plans to make the quest event building a little more user friendly? In that...for anyone who doesn't have FTP access to the server, it would be hard for them to dry test each of the events and the like on a 'real-time' basis. They'll constantly have to wait on an OP to fix and re-upload the txt file.

I suppose that and the location data would be a problem to keep checking and manually entering.

Perhaps command like in-game where you would set say... /quest set [mob] [location] where location could be definable or just say "here" and it would be the point of standing.

Or another for opening doors and trap setting like /quest set [event] [locationA] then it sets A and prompts to go set B and C and so on.

22. Offline

Caliver

I pretty much found the conflict. It was because I turned off monsters on McMyAdmin so health regen was on. I turned on monsters and disabled health regen for both Towny and mcMMO. Thanks to everyone that helped me pinpoint the problem. :)

23. Offline

sonyusa

I think they plan on releasing a GUI to build quests with. You could also host a simple server on your PC to build the quest map and quest file with if you don't have convenient server access to finalize and test everything before uploading it to your server.

24. Offline

Mukrakiish

The only problem with doing the local hosting is each player would need a copy of the map (300+mb) to build/test they're quests in.

A GUI would be interesting...although I wonder how it would combat certain issues. Look forward to seeing what comes of it.

25. Offline

sonyusa

Oh... well if you have the block locations, for instance by using /debug and clicking the square, all the quest files can be done in your head, really. They are pretty simple...

Also it would be a really bad idea to let them upload their own quest files, because they could do a "walk 2 feet" and get 10,000,000 exp quest and run it over and over.

26. Offline

Mukrakiish

Well in my realm of questing, we would bypass having XP for passing a quest. It would be more of a item/story based setup. More of the fun of it rather then Xp for exploits like that.

I know it would be easy to get your block locations but in that...if your going to be setting up a map with 100+ events the odds of you slipping a number or something like that increase each time.

27. Offline

jmonk

Idk how soon the GUI will be done. I imagine a 2-d sort of view of the world and the ability to place and order events. It will probably be a fairly big project.

What kind of a system are you looking for on the server? something where people can upload their quest files?

28. Offline

Mukrakiish

Currently the system I use is very command line driven. Its a mix of SignsReadMore (this one requires upload but is also very simple since it would be simply directions, lore or story background), PhatLoot, Turnstiles, & Dungeon Rewards. I also use CreatureBox to control monster distribution.

That way I (they) can have a story, random (configurable) rewards, cash/item operated gates/portals and the like. Of course its not EXP based at all. Its purely...using Minecraft's own mechanics and I added these variables to play with. So to use any of these they just place them wherever and can configure them via the chat window using commands. Then they use Redstone to setup manually setup events like specific doors or other things like that. They get fairly creative but of course if your not good with redstone, that's a limiting factor.

This way they can create they're dungeon as they walk around it and the each bit of events get stored into each plugins data and then you just carry on from there.

So at the moment anyone can make a Dungeon with that list of tools at they're own discretion and time without needing to upload anything or access anything. It also allows for crazy creative PvP creations in our Warzone world which is 100% PvP. So there are some very interesting dungeon styles being thought of there as well.

I know personally, I'd prefer a commandline based event editor for me to walk around because I have a hard time drawing out a 3D dungeon. But if I build it as I go and just plunk events, blocks, etc into the place where it might fit and I can test it on the fly then that works best for me. I imagine the way the players in my server build they're dungeons, they are very much the same way about the design process.

29. Offline

sonyusa

Any ideas on the dev build error i'm getting about towns? :(

30. Offline

Guenael

Jmonk, it's normal that the plugin minequest load around 3 Gb inside my ram at startup ? (That making very long startup) I have trouble ?

When i look my databases they aren't big , jsute 2 mb...

31. Offline

jmonk

its a dev build, work in progress. I can make a new one tomorrow, you can try that one then.

I don't have any memory issues like that, but if it is related to the slow startup I have been working on that. I was loading classes too many times rather than instantiating them. I will be fixing this in the next release.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016