Inactive [RPG] The MineQuest v0.61 - RPG System with Customizable Quests, Classes, and NPCs [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by jmonk, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Offline

jmonk

MineQuest - RPG System with Customizable Quests and Classes
    Version: 0.62-test
    Overview:
    MineQuest started out as a plugin to add some RPG-like progression to Minecraft. It had 8 (By default, now completely customizable) character classes (4 Combat, 4 Resource - also by default) and you gained experience by doing tasks related to the class (e.g. Warriors fight with a Sword, or WarMages cast WarMage Spells). All combat classes gained health when they went up in levels, and all classes gained related abilities at certain levels.

An example of a custom class configuration is now available: http://www.theminequest.com/node/112

Now MineQuest has grown to be a much bigger project than gaining abilities and extra health. It includes mobs that get harder over time based on a level adjustment (determined by active players in the server). It has built in economy(iConomy Supported)/town systems that are available if people so desire. Most likely the coolest thing so far is the quest system.

Good Places to start in game are /minequest, /cubonomy (economy), and /quest (questing specific). Also poking around the help pages (Linked as more information below) gives some details about more advanced commands as well.

Quests:
    MineQuest is equipped with a system that is being developed so that minecraft can have real instanced dungeons where a select party can teleport into a world that has traps, harder monsters, and special loot. When complete players are brought back to their original locations.

These quests are completely customizable as they only load from a text file. MineQuest will search the bukkit directory for the appropriate .quest file when the quest is started. This means that anyone running a server could write a quest. Not just plugin developers!

The spell system is nothing special, and I'm sure that others exist out there, but what really makes MineQuest unique is the complete package, dungeons and everything.

Requirements:
    MySQL or SQLite

Suspected Conflicts:
    Towny, Essentials Spawn, World Guard, mcMMO,
    Other plugins that modify damage/health

Video:
    This is a video of the first real dungeon created, the first time through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq85ppcwuM8

MineQuest 0.40 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8tYNb0MCM

Installation:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/3

Whats new in 0.60?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9-N9XWfJE

Downloads:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/35
    Backup: http://code.google.com/p/minequest/downloads/list

Support:
    Please read the following FAQ before posting your question. It will help you out by getting the answer faster and help us out by having a smaller volume of questions.
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/36
    There are some forums on the MineQuest site found below.
    http://www.theminequest.com/forum
    If you cannot solve your issues in the MQ Forums and from the FAQ and the bug does not already exist please post it on the bug tracker.
    http://bugs.theminequest.com/projects/minequest

More Info:
    Information about MineQuest and its features
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/11

Changelog:
    Version 0.61:
    *NPC Fix Item Properties (Blacksmith Capabilities)
    *Fixed Ranged Ability Bindings
    *Other NPC Property changes
    *Bug Fixes
    Version 0.60:
    *Idle Quest System
    *Main World Scripting
    *Reputation System
    Version 0.53:
    *Fixed Instancing System
    *Fixed NPC Respawning Issue
    *Updated to b860
    *Fixed money naming
    *A couple hidden features

Full Changelog:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/74

If you love MineQuest then help keep the project alive: http://www.theminequest.com/node/164

2. Offline

jmonk

I'll look into this, see how easy I can make it. Maybe upload a zip of a setup directory ready to run?

3. Offline

sonyusa

Everything is up and running with update, I'll let you know when players get on if the sleeping without being zombie raped is fixed... thanks!

So far so good! Mobs despawn after walking into town now!

My players cant seem to sleep inside town though, it tells them they have to wait until night, even when it is night. Also, does it remove players from groups if they log out?

I seem to also have run into a strange issue where the dungeon wouldn't complete when another group that was in the dungeon quit the quest, the boss room spawned twice and our group didn't show as being together anymore afterward so we too had to quit the quest, not sure if it's related or a completely separate bug, just thought I would mention it.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  4. Offline

jmonk

Players are removed from a party when they leave the server. I'm not terribly happy with this, I'm looking into alternatives, but this it what it is for now.

When the party that tried the quest the first time leave the quest, did they simply quit the server instead of using /quit_quest. I think that might cause some problems. Is the bug you had reproducible?

5. Offline

sonyusa

I haven't been able to get on when enough other people are on to test 2 groups and the theory out again, I'll see if i can reproduce it.

Also do the quests split exp between all party members? The example quest seems to show you are awarded 1,000 exp but then only let you assign 500. My other server admin told me after his first dungeon he tried to assign exp to his miner class and the points just vanished into thin air, he said he previously acquired points in the plain world as unassigned exp and they vanished too.

I can't get the pirate ship quest to work, I extracted the world to the server, named the folder pirate_ship, pasted the quest event script into pirates.quest, and tried to start it but just got this:

Code:
    2011-03-28 23:15:21 [INFO] [MineQuest] Loaded world without quest area defined - missing QuestArea?
    2011-03-28 23:15:21 [INFO] [MineQuest] Unable to load Quest Problem on Line 1
    2011-03-28 23:15:21 [INFO] [MineQuest]   LoadWorld:pirate_ship_instance:pirate_ship
    2011-03-28 23:15:21 [INFO] [MineQuest] Unable to unload events properly

It generates the instanced world files and starts to warp me then kicks me back out.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

6. Offline

jmonk

This is because I haven't kept this up to date. I didn't remove it from the wiki mostly for reference material. This was literally the first quest I ever wrote. I first hard coded everything, then used it as reference to write the flexible quest file system now used.

I removed it from the downloads because it was completely and utterly lame. I am no GM, I have other people for that now, I'm just the programmer.

I will update it to comply with the new release (add a quest area line) and let you know when it is done. However I warn you of its utter non-epicness.

7. Offline

sonyusa

Cool, thanks.

Also, how the heck do I set the entry point when starting a quest?

Code:
    QuestArea:-305:63:-29:-429:127:-144
    Instance:5:wolfena:wolfen1
    Spawn:-329:95:-108
    I have that so far, but it throws me down at the base of my castle instead of the entry way where I want it (my respawn point as well)

It just occurred to me that I probably have to preset the spawn point for the world files... any tips?

8. Offline

Nathaniel

Edit:
    Having a problem now. People on the server seem to be randomly losing health. Myself included.
    Anyway to fix this? Isn't something i can just ignore.

Dude this plugin is amazing. :] One thing, I am also running NPCX and it gives me an error everytime an NPC is damaged, this isnt a big deal, because im thinking about taking this plugin out ( Pretty useless in my opinion, NPCs go invisible. ) Anyway, Im more concerned that my players cannot use "/spawn" now.

Here's the error when they try
    Code:
    11:04:52 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_COMMAND_PREPROCESS to MineQuest
    java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
            at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(Unknown Source)
            at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
            at org.monk.MineQuest.Listener.MineQuestPlayerListener.processTown(MineQ
    uestPlayerListener.java:549)
            at org.monk.MineQuest.Listener.MineQuestPlayerListener.onPlayerCommandPr
    eprocess(MineQuestPlayerListener.java:123)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$5.execute(JavaPluginLoader.ja
    va:182)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.jav
    a:59)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.j
    ava:255)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.c(NetServerHandler.java:635)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.chat(NetServerHandler.java:606)

at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:600)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet3Chat.a(SourceFile:24)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.a(SourceFile:230)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:76)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:100)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:357)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:272)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:366)

9. Offline

sonyusa

Could I put in a request to rename /setspawn to like /townspawn or something so I can use other plugins to set the spawn point of each world file for dungeon creation?

10. Offline

ltan

sonyusa, One thing you could do is load your world into an editor, McEdit or another one for example, and use that to reset your spawn point. Another option is to start your server without MineQuest running.

11. Offline

sonyusa

I forgot about McEdit, I didn't know you could use the maps in SMP but I'll just do that.

One thing I noticed is that after I do /setspawn in my one and only town, people can /spawn and jump to it, but after i restart the server, /spawn takes me to a completely random location in a desert somewhere...

I think I'm not quite grasping the quest building structure, here is my code:

Code:
    #beginning path message
    Event:0:MessageEvent:5:Welcome to Castle Wolfenstein. Beware of Nazis!
    Event:1:AreaEvent:5:0:-337:98:-97:2
    Event:2:AreaEvent:5:0:-338:98:-97:2
    Task:0:0
    I want it to display that message as they cross over 1 of the 2 blocks on the entrance bridge, but it spits the message out as soon as the players enter the instance ???

12. Offline

pyloros

Are there any admin commands?

13. Offline

ltan

sonyusa, this is due to you having it set in Task 0. Change it to be triggered in the same Task as your sealing the entrance takes place.

14. Offline

sonyusa

I'm not quite getting what you're saying, does Task 0 automatically run when the instance is entered or something? I was under the impression that either of my 2 AreaEvent's (1 and 2) would trigger my Task (0) to launch Event 0 which would display the welcome message.... ?

P.s. its just supposed to display the welcome message as the players walk across the bridge which is 2 blocks wide, hence the 2 similar area events. It doesnt seal any entrances

15. Offline

ltan

Perhaps it is I who is lacking in the understanding. I have it in my brain that Task:0 loads up the Event that it referrences as soon as the instance is started. Therefore as in your example, you are loading up Event:0 as soon as players start the quest.

I just checked and in Monk's blog http://www.monksanctum.org/node/54 he states: "Task 0 will always be triggered immediately as the quest starts."

So yes, Task:0 automatically runs the events it "links to" and since you have your MessageEvent linked to Task:0 ...

16. Offline

sonyusa

Ahhh! I was looking through the 'getting started' and I didn't see any mention of that, I only saw that if it was negative 1 it would be quest completed. Thanks it all makes sense now! :D

I may be blind but I can't find any difference in the syntax for area or single area event...

Code:
    Event:id:AreaEvent:delay ms:task:loc x:loc y:loc z:radius

Single Area Event (QE)

This event works the same way as the previous except that it waits for any single quester to be inside the area.

Event:id:AreaEvent:delay ms:task:loc x:loc y:loc z:radius

17. Offline

ltan

Good Eye sonyusa! In his blog, monk uses Event:id:SingleAreaEvent:delay ms:task:loc x:loc y:loc z:radius for the Arrow Trap.

18. Offline

sonyusa

I'm stuck again and this scripting is kicking my butt

Code:

#Welcome
    Event:0:MessageEvent:6000:Welcome to Castle Wolfenstein.
    #Bridge Message
    Event:1:SingleAreaEvent:500:1:-337:98:-97:2
    Event:2:MessageEvent:500:I just triggered the block event

#Welcome
    Task:0:0
    #Bridge Message
    Task:1:2
    Thats my quest file, the welcome message works fine but i cannot for the life of me get the singleareaevent block message to work!!!

19. Offline

ltan

Figured it out sony. I loaded your Event:1 at the world instancing, Task:0, and this enabled the Event to trigger properly when I encountered it.

See Below for my changes:

Code:

#Welcome
    #Bridge Message
    Event:1:SingleAreaEvent:500:1:-337:98:-97:2

#Welcome
    Task:0:0,1
    #Bridge Message

20. Offline

sonyusa

Jmonk we need you! This works but I have to pre-call ALL my events in task:0 for them to work :(

Code:

#Welcome
    #Bridge Message
    Event:1:SingleAreaEvent:5:1:-337:98:-97:2

#Debug
    Event:3:SingleAreaEvent:5:2:-337:98:-89:2
    Event:4:MessageEvent:500:Debug Message 2

#Welcome
    Task:0:0,1,3
    #Bridge Message
    #Debug
    Task:2:4
    Does this work on 1.4 yet? Anyone tested it?

21. Offline

sonyusa

Looks like it suddenly can't find the sqllite file anymore with 1.4

22. Offline

ltan

sonyusa, it is due to the updated MC. You might be able to roll back to 1.3 and then you can still play it. I had to do that until the plugin is updated for the 1.4 compatible bukkit.

23. Offline

sonyusa

Yeah I realize that, but I've already started the 1.4 transition :/ Can't wait for this to be back up and running!

24. Offline

jmonk

Sorry for the delay, bukkit stopped notifying me about replies on my thread. Trying to play catchup now.

I would expect you to have to put 0,1,3 in task 0 in this case. This is because SingleAreaEvents have to be issued to be waiting for someone to walk into them.

A good thing to try is the small modification I made above. This will make them walk to the first location then the second debug location. Going to the second location should do nothing until you reach the first.

Does this help clear this up?

Up and running for a few hours now. I don't believe there are any issues. Just make sure you grab a copy of 0.32 if your running 1.4.

Are you still having this problem? What version are you running?

Sure, I'll try to put this in before the next version (0.40).

Never seen this issue. I will try to reproduce it. Any errors or anything unusual on startup regarding to your towns?

In terms of quests I plan on adding a way to have a starting point for a quest. This way you not only have a respawn location, but a place that people are teleported to to start things off. This will help when people are writing quests for their main world.

25. Offline

MRavn

What is the command for stopping a quest? if there is one?

26. Offline

jmonk

It should be /quit_quest

27. Offline

ltan

28. Offline

sonyusa

Thanks for all the work jmonk! I didn't get any weird errors but the /spawn thing seems to have cleared itself up, however when we start the 'dungeon' quest it starts you in the ground and you die from being inside the blocks just below the spawn :( Can you give me an example of a main world quest? I don't need to specify instanceing or quest area in a mainworld quest, do I?

I'm also getting a notice to bug the author (you) to change one of the constructs from one warp event to another warp event ... or something!

Any way you can make an emergency release for me changing /setspawn to /townspawn so I can fix 'dungeon' and my personal dungeon? :)

29. Offline

jmonk

30. Offline

superdew147

this is amazing *have no clue what else to say* (speechless) [diamond][diamond][diamond][diamond]

31. Offline

sonyusa

Thanks a ton! Trying it now, I'll keep you posted

Well... it sets the spawn but its like... the server wide spawn, not just the particular worlds spawn point lol...

it also spits this out

Code:
    2011-04-02 00:23:48 [INFO] §9[PLAYER_COMMAND] SonyUSA: /setspawn
    2011-04-02 00:23:58 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_COMMAND_PREPROCESS to MineQuest
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.entity.CraftPlayer.teleport(CraftPlayer.java:147)
            at org.monk.MineQuest.Listener.MineQuestPlayerListener.processTown(MineQuestPlayerListener.java:568)
            at org.monk.MineQuest.Listener.MineQuestPlayerListener.onPlayerCommandPreprocess(MineQuestPlayerListener.java:134)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$5.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:193)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:59)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:255)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.c(NetServerHandler.java:586)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.chat(NetServerHandler.java:557)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:551)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet3Chat.a(SourceFile:24)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:198)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:72)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:100)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:368)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:283)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:375)
    2011-04-02 00:23:58 [INFO] §9[PLAYER_COMMAND] SonyUSA: /spawn

when I do /spawn but it does move me to the correct position, I think it's fighting with your plugin for spawn position.

How did you originally set your spawn point in your dungeon? In mcedit it wont let you put the spawn block in the nether, and its only a 10x10 general area for spawning, not a very specific block like you have in your example dungeon :(

Oh I take it back, I returned to my town and did /townspawn and it seems to have cleared everything up... that or me just leaving my template world fixed it... either way, its working great now and its setting a specific block for entry :)

If I reboot the server and /spawn it goes back to spitting me somewhere weird in my main world, I have to admin warp back to town and redo the /townspawn to correct it. Also, I can't seem to get into the nether world of the dungeon world file to be able to reset the spawn... it just drops me inside some blocks inside the normal realm. I use /goto dungeon and also /goto dungeon Nether with no success, the Nether flag just takes me to the regular realm :(

Found a pretty major bug:

PigZombie set to true that poisons the ground and walks over stone steps, they come back facing the wrong way (they all face south... I think?) fence posts also turn into solid dirt blocks while they are poison.

Also, one more feature request, could you make the block events accept damage modifiers for placed blocks? For instance, I want green and red blocks to appear in certain spots but they only show up as white wool

One more bug! The /nomobs (world) doesn't despawn wolves, I was building a dungeon and a lil' pup came up to me wanting to be my friend!