Inactive [RPG] The MineQuest v0.61 - RPG System with Customizable Quests, Classes, and NPCs [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by jmonk, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Offline

jmonk

MineQuest - RPG System with Customizable Quests and Classes
    Version: 0.62-test
    Overview:
    MineQuest started out as a plugin to add some RPG-like progression to Minecraft. It had 8 (By default, now completely customizable) character classes (4 Combat, 4 Resource - also by default) and you gained experience by doing tasks related to the class (e.g. Warriors fight with a Sword, or WarMages cast WarMage Spells). All combat classes gained health when they went up in levels, and all classes gained related abilities at certain levels.

An example of a custom class configuration is now available: http://www.theminequest.com/node/112

Now MineQuest has grown to be a much bigger project than gaining abilities and extra health. It includes mobs that get harder over time based on a level adjustment (determined by active players in the server). It has built in economy(iConomy Supported)/town systems that are available if people so desire. Most likely the coolest thing so far is the quest system.

Good Places to start in game are /minequest, /cubonomy (economy), and /quest (questing specific). Also poking around the help pages (Linked as more information below) gives some details about more advanced commands as well.

Quests:
    MineQuest is equipped with a system that is being developed so that minecraft can have real instanced dungeons where a select party can teleport into a world that has traps, harder monsters, and special loot. When complete players are brought back to their original locations.

These quests are completely customizable as they only load from a text file. MineQuest will search the bukkit directory for the appropriate .quest file when the quest is started. This means that anyone running a server could write a quest. Not just plugin developers!

The spell system is nothing special, and I'm sure that others exist out there, but what really makes MineQuest unique is the complete package, dungeons and everything.

Requirements:
    MySQL or SQLite

Suspected Conflicts:
    Towny, Essentials Spawn, World Guard, mcMMO,
    Other plugins that modify damage/health

Video:
    This is a video of the first real dungeon created, the first time through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq85ppcwuM8

MineQuest 0.40 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8tYNb0MCM

Installation:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/3

Whats new in 0.60?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9-N9XWfJE

Downloads:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/35
    Backup: http://code.google.com/p/minequest/downloads/list

Support:
    Please read the following FAQ before posting your question. It will help you out by getting the answer faster and help us out by having a smaller volume of questions.
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/36
    There are some forums on the MineQuest site found below.
    http://www.theminequest.com/forum
    If you cannot solve your issues in the MQ Forums and from the FAQ and the bug does not already exist please post it on the bug tracker.
    http://bugs.theminequest.com/projects/minequest

More Info:
    Information about MineQuest and its features
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/11

Changelog:
    Version 0.61:
    *NPC Fix Item Properties (Blacksmith Capabilities)
    *Fixed Ranged Ability Bindings
    *Other NPC Property changes
    *Bug Fixes
    Version 0.60:
    *Idle Quest System
    *Main World Scripting
    *Reputation System
    Version 0.53:
    *Fixed Instancing System
    *Fixed NPC Respawning Issue
    *Updated to b860
    *Fixed money naming
    *A couple hidden features

Full Changelog:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/74

If you love MineQuest then help keep the project alive: http://www.theminequest.com/node/164

2. Offline

ltan

Jakeob22, as was pointed out above, there is a full list with descriptions on theminequest.com in the Quest Writing Reference page. Also, I am noticing that sometimes my signature does not show all the time, but I have a condensed list hosted at my site.... Ah... I just remembered that I am having issues with my site so let me change it over to my dropbox...

Here is where you can find the Cheat Sheet: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27588455/MQCommandSheet.pdf

Thank you firesofhades. Yes, I appear to have forgotten to state what the mod is. I had it in my head while I was typing it and never actually mentioned what it is.

The mod in my post above is for customizing your NPC skins.

I posted it after I had successfully added the necessary files that I found inside the modified jar file from jmonk's site. The main reason why I did this is because there was a user who was using a custom HD skin and I wanted to give them an additional option for their client to use the custom NPC skins.

lolgc: you might want to try it with online-mode=true

I am looking at it more also, but try that.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  3. Offline

lolgc

yeah...sure

4. Offline

ltan

ekdahl, I will post up one of my simple quests where you have a kill task so that you can use that as a reference. I will need to post it later tonight however as I am away from my server and it is offline at the moment.

5. Offline

firesofhades

you are correct however my post, and lists whit conflicting plugins will always be directed towards people who dont
    want to figure these issues out by themselves. if they can't even figure out what plugin is conflicting, i'm sure as hell not gonna explain any tedious config proccesses. these poeple want it easy for themselves. easy is removing these plugins...

however it might indeed be worth noting that whit right configuration plugins coud work alongside minequest
    it is not feaseble to work out what configuration EVERY plugin needs... nor do i think we shoud point newbs in this direction since it might do morre harm than good.

esspecially when it comes to worldgaurd configuration and troubleshooting coud be very tedious. i also think the problem whit worldgaurd isnt just that it cant protect from spells or its slow heal. worldguard doesnt only control health it also controls nearly every form of damage. not calling you a lier or anything just saying there might be other unforeseen conflicts. a list of compatible/incompatible plugins can be assembled fast and easy and it can be used fast and easy be even the biggest newb. this wont be the case whit a list of compatible configurations

on another note i'd like everyone to know i tried running my server whit minequest as only plugin... and i still lose the occasional hart when setting my first step teleporting/spawning, this might be because i didnt set my spawns right and i take fall damage after spawning , i havent checked at what height the spawn is.

edit---------------------
    also we have some poeple listing 20+ plugins they want to run, i can imagine reviewing others plugin-lists can already be tedious. now imagine you also have to read EVERY config file and edit it where necessary, or worse try to explain to the newb how to configure his 20 plugins. this obviously gives people like ltan a lot more work to do.

ofcourse putting it up as a notice for more experienced admins is a good idea.

edit2-------------------

i might aswell respond to your issue whit npc's, it probbably wont be very usefull... but its what i can live whit.

im not using mercenaries, they tend to be a lot buggy anyways:p like hitting air after the mob is dead and accually gaining exp for it.

i have had no trouble whit npc's forgetting the quest they shoud give yet (note that you wont get a message if you already have the quest) so im still using the quest property for normal npc's

a suggestion coud be to use npcx for the talking npcs :p dont know about its compatibility tho

ow im also using sqlite

6. Offline

cloned

I just fixed several bugs in my Quest Helper Web App. Things should import correctly now. http://minequest.cheetahlabs.com/

Sometime this week I will go through some plugins I have tested with MineQuest and list them as being compatible or not.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

maniacmusic likes this.
  7. Offline

ekdahl

Thank you! Looking forward to it. :)

8. Offline

DrBowe

I'm more than certain that both WorldGuard and NPCX work fine alongside MineQuest. Simply set the slow heal off in WorldGuard. Additionally, WorldGuard really doesnt take over as much of the damage system as you seem to think it does. Slow-heal is virtually the only way it does, as a matter of fact.

Other than that, setting PvP to false and mobs-spawning to deny for your regions should ALMOST prevent spells. Players can still use teleport/sprint/encase/etc to grief or break into houses, but those are the most successful settings I've found to prevent Spells.

Also, I'm not referring to the Mercenaries, nor am I referring to the quest-give property. I'm simply having issues with walk_message and hit_message getting reset for a select few NPCs on server restarts. Its possible that this has direct correlation with the NPCs sometimes disappearing, and maybe even have some odd connection to the 'nomobs' command. I'm not too sure, to be honest.

NPCX, while very in depth, is also overly complex. Players often have difficulty with the trigger words, and the walk_message for those NPCs spam the player's chat most of the time. Not to mention, if you accidentally hit one, they become a raging NPC with MASSIVE health hits to the player, as opposed to a harmless (and in my opinion, perfect for humour) hit_message.

I'm going to hook MineQuest up to MySQL today and see if that resolves any of my issues, I'll report back after that.

9. Offline

Bizcut

ok that fixed my issue Ltan. When i was clearing out the NPCs i noticed that they are set up like players in the DB. shouldnt they be in like a NPC table or something like that? Why would they need all the info that a player does like quests, kills, abilities and so on?

10. Offline

DrBowe

Ok, issue with the PeaceMage:

People have lost both Heal and Heal Other for whatever reason. I havent gotten 0.45, as I'm scared of the 'no-entity required' spells, is this issue known/addressed in it?

EDIT:
    I also have a question, pertaining to the 'no entity' spells in 0.45
    Is it coded so that casting it in this fashion sets the mob's target to the person who casted it? I'm just curious if this was thought of in advance, otherwise mobs would become damage sponges and never attack anyone. I guess it'd be easier to download and test myself...but as I said, I'm scared of even less spell restrictions.

Sorry about all the posts, I know I'm not making your jobs any easier (ltan and jmonk) by commenting so frequently, I'm just trying to throw any possible bugs out into the open and offer suggestions. :x

11. Offline

Jakeob22

Somebody should just make a tutorial video for the questmaking. I wrote my quest. I think I did it right. I'm not sure about where you put the file or anything. I want this plug in a lot! But if nobody makes a tutorial for it... It's fine. I just want to know where to put the .quest file when you are done with it.

12. This.

I've been trying to get it setup on my personal test server for feasibility trials before moving it over to the dev copy of our server for plugin compatibility tests, and I can't figure out what or if i'm doing things wrong, I do have to say apart from needing a "newbie" guide that walks you from install to npc to quest, this looks to be a brilliant plugin.
    I especially love the ability for instancing, this could prove very handy.

Evil NPCs? this just gets better and better, keep up the excellent work :)

13. Offline

firesofhades

the .quest and the world both go into the root of your bukkit directory.
    then you have to "/spawn_npc [npc name]" in the main world
    and give him the "/npc_property [npc-name] quest [name of .quest file]"
    when setting the npc property do not append filename whit ".quest".

you can hit the npc whit left mouse button to obtain the quest
    you type "/start_quest [questname]" and your there (loading of the world coud take some time)
    to quit before you finish type "/quit_quest"

if you need to edit the original map you can use "/goto [world]"
    EDIT2---------------------------
    even tho the spawn command in this video is different it shoud help you whit the rest of the
    ingame proccess

/spawn_npc spawns an npc in your town and you can set it whit the quest property, the command in the video might be a global command for placing quest npc''s outside of towns
    but as i have not used or read about this command i reccommend using /spawn_npc in a town

http://www.youtube.com/user/jmonk892373#p/u/4/D_3mABjFl10

video made by: the lead dev: jmonk

EDIT--------------------------
    got a question myself... about this event

Event:id:LockWorldTime:check period:first time:second time

can anyone tell me the format for the parameters first time and second time
    also im using ms as check period (assuming its the interval between checks) but im not sure about it so confirmation woud be nice

edit-----------

never mind found it in the .quest file from the quest jmonk uploaded today

im sure they wont mind as long as we try to help eachother and keep our posts constructive and informatife :D
    but to keep this thread clean we coud post these kind of things at the forums on www.theminequest.com issues/problems could be ordered in a tech support board(that isn't there currently) it would help others finding solutions and thus reduce the amount of traffic and work for some.
    jmonk could add the link in the first post and state that techsupport will not be given in this thread.

14. Offline

ltan

Issues:

Jakeob: Video tutorial: in the works, I have just been a tad busy. I expect to have it out tomorrow while I am at lunch for my normal job. About where to put the plugin: um... :evil: no seriously.. put it into your root bukkit directory, the one where your craftbukkit-*.jar is.

ekdahl: As promised, here is my quest called Susan's Lament. I have the following code in the file Susan.quest. Granted Susan looks mightily like a man on my server lol.
    Code:
    Name:Susan's Lament
    Repeatable:true
    Reset:false
    AreaPreserve:-432:63:544:-407:66:573

Target:2:PartyTarget

Event:0:MessageEvent:12:Kill 20 Zombies
    Event:1:KillEvent:10:2:Zombie:40
    Event:3:EntitySpawnerEvent:7000:-420:64:556:Zombie:f
    Event:4:EntitySpawnerEvent:7500:-430:65:561:Zombie:f
    Event:5:EntitySpawnerEvent:6500:-420:67:564:Zombie:f

Event:2:T:TeleportEvent:11:2:-426:64:546

Event:6:EntitySpawnerCompleteEvent:18:3
    Event:7:EntitySpawnerCompleteEvent:23:4
    Event:8:EntitySpawnerCompleteEvent:25:5

#Queue the rain and lightning
    #Event:12:WeatherEvent:1000:true:10000
    Event:10:T:TeleportEvent:12:2:-402:73:540
    Event:13:ExperienceAdd:105:all:1000:1000:10000
    Event:14:CompleteQuestEvent:110
    Event:15:QuestEvent:107:-1

Task:0:0,1,3,4,5,2
    Task:1:6,7,8
    Task:2:13,14,10,15

-Ltan

15. Offline

jmonk

People losing Heal and Heal Other. I'm not aware of anything that can cause this if other players do have this. Can you verify that someone on your server does have Heal and Heal Other? If so they should get added to anyone missing it on login...

As far as I know casting a spell on a mob should get it to attack you, but to be honest I have not tested it completely. Spells that do damage should do damage to the entity as if it came from the caster, so it should cause it to attack you.

However, if you cast fireball and mob happens to walk through your fire it will not cause it to magically attack you, it would take a fair amount of coding to get that going and I'm eyes deep in configuration programming.

Don't apologize for posting to much. Just remember that the more posts there are the longer it will take us to get through them all. By us I mean Ltan because he bears the brunt of the forum work. I like to know that people are using The MineQuest, and the more bugs found the better it will be.

@firesofhades I have several recommendations for you:

The first of which centers around these plugin lists that enrage you so much. I would recommend that when someone posts a long list of plugins that you don't deal with, don't deal with them. You are not a member of the MineQuest support team, and neither are you required in any way to respond to these people.

Support is frustrating and I appreciate your recommendations as they are trying to make our lives easier, however I disagree with you on several levels. I want The MineQuest to be accessible to everyone. This means even the people who can't seem to figure out what their plugins do. If I cannot help someone I tell them, but usually they are happier just for the fact that I tried rather than yelling at them for posting a complicated problem.

You mentioned in your last post that we should keep the thread clean and try to help each other. However you have spent the majority of your whopping 5 posts in the bukkit forums doing exactly the opposite. You spend your time telling people why you cannot support them and why they should not be looking for support.

16. Offline

DrBowe

I'm aware that getting the mob to recognize a fire placed by a player would be near impossible. My concern simply lied with whether or not the mob could tell that if you aimed directly at it (with the new look bind) and casted a spell, that it would know it came from you. It wasnt a problem before with eggs/snowballs (or any other item where you hit the mob) because The original damage would be coming from you (even if it was just an egg doing the original damage).

I've had issues with plugins where developers overlook the fact that mobs need a damage source to come from the target, if the target is too far away to enact the aggro. For example, plugins that allow you to 'snipe' lightning anywhere you click typically do not have it set so that if you strike a mob directly, the mob then sets its target to whoever casted the lightning in the first place (as there is no built in damage linking you to the mobs health change) Granted, I wouldnt expect people making lightning plugins to cater to this issue, I was just making sure it wasn't over looked here.

From the looks of your response, though, you've got it under control. And I know that the more posts, the longer it takes to sift through them. I try to keep my posts limited to bug reports, or in some cases, feature requests, I just let myself get carried away sometimes...like in this post. xD

17. Offline

36evan

Hey i have a problem installing the plugin (im sure its just me not thinking right) im trying to use sqlite and my main.properties is all setup but i keep getting errors when i start my server that says " [Minequest] [WARNING] Cannot find quester Guard" if you can make a detailed video tutorial on how to set sqlite and Minequest up it would be appreciated.
    P.S.- This might be why no one has this plugin try making it more simple

18. Offline

firesofhades

all i had to do was add the plugin, its default is to use sqlite.
    however you might have messed up your database one way or another

i can suggest using /remove_npc [name] but it isnt guaranteed to work
    removing the guard manually from the database to re-add it later give other issues i believe, not sure however.

if this doesn''t work you might delete the database. this will ofcourse cause you to lose all data in it (towns, stats npc''s etc)

19. Offline

ltan

36evan: If you wouldn't mind using pastebin to post your config, someone can look at it and see what might be wrong.

Also, you may want to read the main site: http://www.theminequest.com and look at the links on there for the config.

also, jmonk has worked very hard with the community to give them exactly what they want in MQ. He is constantly trying to make the plugin easier to use and more configurable and more streamlined. All I can ask, one end user to another, is please be patient with MQ as it is constantly improved.

-Ltan

20. Offline

firesofhades

first of al yes i handled that post very wrong... it wasnt the pluginlist that enraged me tho

second: if i made it seem like i was part of this team im terribly sorry...

third: i never said to stop supporting people of any skill level, theres a diffrence between n00bs willing to learn and n00bs just wanting to get their problem out of the way while spending as little efford as possible

last : as for the other "recommendations"/accusations try reading my posts instead of just skimming them, if you dont feel like reading all of my posts in this thread dont comment on al of them .

but don't worry about me i'll be going where they have learned to read.

goodbye

edit

taking a scrabbled thread over an organized board for support is not making your plugin more accesible

21. Got it to give me a quest, very impressed so far with the level of control for events, instancing etc.
    Could do with a permissions architecture.

Then I looked at your Database, and I cried.

I have to ask. Why 4 tables per player? Wouldn't it make more sense to have 4 tables (player, chests, quests, kills) and link them using primary->foreign keys to a player? Speed is not an issue that can be claimed when you can index the table entries. That thing is gonna be ugly as hell to maintain on a live server.

22. Offline

DrBowe

Feature Request (after all the important permissions/trouble shooting is done)

I was wondering if you could add a "spellbook" feature similar to that of the MagicSpells plugin. Incase you're not familiar with it, it allows players to 'learn' spells by admins setting certain bookshelves as places to click and 'learn the spell'.

This could work alongside the questing system and/or level-requirement system in the sense that you could learn a spell at the end of a dungeon/quest (as a reward), and you could make it so that 'power-leveling' your warmage isnt the only thing you have to do to get fireblast, so to speak. Instead, I could make players have to venture deep into the depths of the Nether, stumble across and obsidian tomb, and find an alter with the 'spellbook' for Fireblast (which would still require lvl 30 to be used).

As for the technical features, I have a few suggestions (if you were to ever add this feature, I know you're extremely busy with more important features):
    - a simple command like /spellbook <spellname>, followed by clicking the bookshelf you want to be a spellbook (ops only)
    - perhaps, to make it more user friendly, a feature that makes any connected bookshelf (to the block you made a spellbook) automatically binds itself to become a spellbook as well.
    - This way, players wouldnt have to manually bind each one if it was a large bookshelf chain.

Anywho, as I said numerous times before, this is a mere suggestion. I know that permissions and greater customization is a MUST, I just think this would be a great feature that would add further immersion and create another unique reason to go on a quest.

:)

23. Offline

jmonk

When I first started this project a very long time ago I knew virtually nothing about databases and this is basically how I structured things. Then the stupid thing I did was release it in its wrong state. I've been working on a new structure, but really what takes the most time is the need to have a stable conversion program from one to the other. I added a few new columns/fields in 0.40 and the upgrading for that turned out to be a bit of work.

Long story short I'm aware of this problem, and am trying to implement similar to what you mention, but it is taking time. I am going slow to try to ensure no loss of peoples data.

tehbeard likes this.
  24. Offline

DrBowe

New Bug Report:

Found the issue with NPC string corruptions. DO NOT use apostrophes (') in your messages. The dialogue will be wiped on server restart due to issues with apostrophes that seem to be rooted deep into the server coding.

I'm sure there is a workaround that could be done, but for now, if anyone has this issue DO NOT use apostrophes.

Hope this helps anyone who might be having the same issues I was.
    Still having odd issues with NPCs disappearing until restarts, however.

25. Offline

Jcraft-servers

Hi there.

I asked around a week ago about being able to have minequest active in only one world.

I was told that there is the possibility of this function coming out in 0.45, obvioulsy 0.45 and i have read the change log and i cant see this function becoming active.

I was woundering if it is planned to have this function and if so what time frame should i expect.

I ask because my server has two worlds, survival/pvp and an RP world, the RP world is currently not working due to the fact we dont have this plugin.

What we need is for all the effects of minequest to be disabled in the world (except maybe iconnomy)

Any help is much apreciated :)

Thanks
    Jcraftstaff

26. Offline

ltan

Actually I stated that it *might* be in 0.45. It wasn't ready at the time and it has been pushed out to 0.50. Sorry about that.

27. Offline

Jcraft-servers

Nps mate :) any chance of getting a rough time on when 0.50 will be released?

28. Offline

ltan

I will ask jmonk when he thinks this might happen, if he doesn't post here first ;) I think that he is pretty close though, so it might be within a couple of weeks. Again, I will get a more concrete time frame when I next get a chance to talk to jmonk.

See below lol

29. Offline

jmonk

End of the month or sooner. I'm trying to keep to a montly schedule for major releases (0.50 by the end of may). In case people are wondering, there will be permissions support. The permissions support will have some way to disable on certain worlds.

Features that will be included 0.50:
    Customizable number of classes (in testing)
    Customizable class items (in testing)
    Customizable item damage (in testing)
    Customizable class names (in testing)
    Customizable class armor (in testing)
    Customizable armor defense (in testing)
    Control of what class abilities belong to (in testing)
    Ability to disable MQ health system (in testing)
    Permissions support (in dev - definitely done for 0.50)
    More control over ability damage (in dev - hopefully in 0.50)

30. Offline

KillingSpread!

i get this epic error since i spawned a npc for a shop!

2011-05-23 18:39:05 [WARNING] Task of 'MineQuest' generated an exception
    java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
    at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Store.Store.getBest(Store.java:302)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Store.NPCStringConfig.processModifiers(NPCStringConfig.java:166)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Store.NPCStringConfig.getRandomAirMessage(NPCStringConfig.java:139)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Store.NPCStringConfig.getRandomNormMessage(NPCStringConfig.java:185)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Store.NPCStringConfig.getRandomMessage(NPCStringConfig.java:126)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Store.NPCStringConfig.sendRandomMessage(NPCStringConfig.java:68)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Quester.NPCQuester.activate(NPCQuester.java:292)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Event.NPCEvent.activate(NPCEvent.java:15)
    at org.monk.MineQuest.Event.EventParser.run(EventParser.java:54)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.scheduler.CraftScheduler.mainThreadHeartbeat(CraftScheduler.java:138)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:360)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:287)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:394)
    2011-05-23 18:39:05 [INFO] [CONSOLE] Server is restarting. World is being saved

Yes , its actually restarting my server each time i log in , my bukkit is 733 and my plugins are
    -MineQuest 0.45
    -Permissions
    -Assign Permission
    -World Edit
    -World Guard
    -IConomy
    -SignShop
    -InstaBreak
    -Magic Carpet

Still get the damage (Damage Done To KillingSpread 7/10) each time i get fall damage

And Can't make dungeons (yes i've putted the dungeon text in my plugin list and the map)
    (could i suggest a video(since you have a youtube channel)that would show how to set them up(like put what where)

I use McMyAdmin as web-administration

Please Fix This!
    Thank 4 the support!

31. Offline

ltan

@killingspread: I am working on the videos. I am having a tad of trouble with my hardware. I am expecting to get something new tomorrow which will let me resume my videos.