[RPG/MECH] sRPG v0.6 Preview - completely customizable RPG and Combat system [1185]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by zaph34r, May 30, 2011.

1. Offline

zaph34r

sRPG
    (yet )a(nother) very fully featured RPG plugin​

This plugin is now moved to devbukkit, i will leave this thread as is, and may also update it, but for now the devbukkit page contains the most recent information. Discussion may continue here or on devbukkit, i will check both.

Version: v0.6 Preview

Note: Only use the current version on a live server if you can handle bugs. While the most severe are probably dealt with, there are still lots of smaller ones. Content also is not yet in a finished and complete state. Configuration files and database tables may still change, so you may have to drop those for a new version, losing some data.

Short Summary:
    This plugin seeks to combine a rich suite of RPG-like mechanics (xp, skills, active abilities, ...) with a complete rebalance of the combat system (changed monster hp, damage, weapon damage, new mechanics,...) and on top of that make the whole package completely configurable for server admins (and when i say completely, i mean it)

DOWNLOAD v0.6 Preview

Requirements: SQLite or MySQL

Additional downloads:
    Changelog:

Version 0.6 Preview
    • initial release of the job system rewrite
    • basically everything changed, refer to the devbukkit page for more information

Version 0.5 alpha 3
    • giant and ghast added to advanced config, have correct hp now
    • arrow damage fixed
    • ability to override tool damage for use with some other plugin added to advanced config
    • creepers deal damage according to config (value set in config is maximum damage)
    • plugin disables itself if it cannot establish initial database connection
    • groundwork for future additions
    Version 0.5 alpha 2

• integrated quickfixes by MG127
    • added customizable block xp groups, you are now not limited to "common, uncommon, rare" but can create any number of groups
    • added database update routine for future changes in the database structure
    • major changes in the advanced configuration as part of planned additions, delete yours and let the plugin recreate it, or adjust by hand (defaults are on github for reference)
    • slimes and wolves use correct hp/damage/xp values now depending on size (slimes) and taming status (wolves)
    Version 0.5 alpha 1

• Initial alpha release
    And finally, some thanks to

nossr50, for the inspiration to do this, and the source to mcMMO that really helped me getting started, not to mention that his plugin is great
    sk89q, whose source of WorldGuard also was very enlightening, if sometimes slightly over my head
    various other plugin authors that made their stuff available, really a boon for beginners when you can look at how other people did some things

GardenGnomer likes this.
  2. Offline

TheTennessee

This has definitely saved my server. Going from 953 to 1000 I had some errors, then remembered reading something about a new config. After resetting the variables, I got it back up. I have a ton of plugins on my server, even another one to add some extra skills. Really though, the majority of my players are veteran MC players, so making harder creatures and more to do was a must.

Here's the only thing I am having any trouble with right now... ghasts and giants... Can you get these supported in the config file? Even if only for gaining EXP from them, I'd like to be able to have them in.

3. Offline

zaph34r

ah right the ghasts, i totally forgot about them because they were bugged for so long :D
    Giants are no problem too as long as they are in bukkit by default (which a quick glance seemed to indicate)
    next stable build which will include these and a few other small things will be done by tomorrow

4. Offline

TheTennessee

Sweet! Yeah, they are in there, but you need another mod to make them spawn. If their health is handled through this plugin, I might give them another try.

Thanks alot man. This plugin has become a must have. I didn't even go to CB 1000 until this was updated for it.

One other problem. The rangers in my server were complaining that bows were suddenly doing like NO damage. I tested it myself on a pig, and it took 12 shots to kill a pig. Pig's have 6 hearts of health, and bows are set to do 2.5 hearts each shot...

Bows were doing correct damage before the update, but now they aren't in the new config. Here's what I have. I am set to default, and I just changed the values:

Code:
      default:
        animals:
          pig:
            health: 12
            xp: 1
          sheep:
          chicken:
            health: 4
          cow:
            health: 16
          squid:
            health: 8
        monsters:
          zombie:
            health: 24
            damage: 4
            xp: 10
          spider:
            health: 20
            damage: 2
          skeleton:
            damage: 3
          creeper:
            health: 16
            damage: 10
            xp: 20
          pigzombie:
            health: 36
            damage: 7
            xp: 20
          slime:
            huge:
              health: 32
              damage: 8
              xp: 24
            big:
              health: 8
              xp: 8
            normal:
              health: 4
              xp: 4
            small:
              health: 2
              damage: 1
              xp: 2
          wolf:
            wild:
            tamed:
              health: 20
              damage: 6
        tools:
          swords:
            wood:
            stone:
            iron:
              damage: 6
            gold:
            diamond:
              damage: 8
          pickaxes:
            wood:
            stone:
            iron:
            gold:
            diamond:
              damage: 5
          axes:
            wood:
            stone:
            iron:
            gold:
            diamond:
              damage: 7
          shovels:
            wood:
            stone:
            iron:
            gold:
            diamond:
          hoes:
            wood:
            stone:
            iron:
            gold:
            diamond:
          bow:
          fists:

[edit] I looked through the different plugins that I had and removed all of them that could change the behavior of bows/arrows in any way, including hookshot and armageddon. Still without these mods installed, the bow is still only doing 0.5 damage. So it has to be something in the latest update. [/edit]

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  5. Offline

zaph34r

ok i'll look into it

and, ghasts spawn naturally in the nether or don't they anymore? i mean they did even when they were still shooting invisible bolts of doom :D
    their health should be overridden in the build i will finish today, but i haven't sufficiently tested it yet

btw, i would suggest changing the "custom" valueset (just copypaste one of the other 2 over it for a convenient starting point for the numbers) and leaving default and original as is, that way you can always go back to plugin defaults and vanilla values without a hassle :) of course you can also do that by deleting the config and letting it reset itself, so i guess changing it is not a big problem too, but you lose all other settings that way too

6. Offline

TheTennessee

Yeah, I eventually plan on making different difficulties too. I like the idea of adding names that you can set too. I just think as far as default goes, it was mostly good, but some of the monsters were -way- too hard. My players were hating me for the 20 hearts zombies.

Oh, last thing... I don't know if this is intentional, but the bows/swords damage values overwrite all other mods. Armageddon's projectiles can't do their custom damage with sRPG installed anymore, and mods like EnergySword can't do extra damage either. Just letting you know, it might have some clue about why bows aren't doing the damage they should.

Lastly, yes, Ghasts still spawn naturally. They are a pain in the rear to kill too, so I was wanting them to be a decent chunk of EXP. Anyhow, still doing good. Once the whole bow thing gets done I think I'll have my players do a more comprehensive test. Right now they are a little scared of going down into the dungeons and stuff.

7. Offline

zaph34r

the values for hp will probably change later on :) at the moment nothing is balanced and i just used some arbitrary value that's in the right ballpark. but that zombies become scary was intentional :D i found they get way too "oh crap a monster! oh wait its just a zombie" with a bit of experience.

overwriting all damage values is a side effect of changing them, there's no simple solution that comes to mind to use multiple potentially contradictory weapon plugins.
    I added a way to override specific tools via the advanced config (details come with next release), but that's only for damage, right-click will still cause ability activation plus whatever another plugin does with right-click for any other tools except gold tools (because for now they don't have any active abilities set in srpg)

Generally i wouldn't recommend using other plugins that change/affect tool damage because of potential undesired effects with critical hits, evasion, other skills, etc.
    On the bright side, while i had never heard of EnergySword before, i had a somewhat similar effect in mind as one of the potential active abilities, so for that at least there may be a replacement :)

What exactly goes wrong with Armageddon? Unless it shoots arrows which nominally originate from a player, it should work fine with the next release and the fixed arrow damage.

new release:
    to override some tool from the advanced config, add "override: true" before or after the already existing "damage: x"
    for example change
    Code:
    sword:
      [...]
      gold:
      [...]
    to
    Code:
    sword:
      [...]
      gold:
        override: true
      [...]
    on rare occasions creepers deal a little more damage than the specified maximum, this seems to be normal and occurs even without the plugin doing anything to the damage values (maximum i have observed was 14 damage on a point blank explosion, as opposed to the 11 damage listed on minecraftwiki)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

8. Offline

TheTennessee

You are amazing. I'll be getting this on my server today and working with that override. Really quick, override=true is to override all damage, or is it to allow another plugin to override it? Still, very nice. And Armageddon has certain special ammo types loaded into a bow, and each has different effects. What I found odd was that it was doing a good amount of damage, but then during the last update, the damage values sunk along with the arrow damage. One ability shoots an arrow, the others use a snowball effect.

Anyhow, if it ends up that there is a conflict, I'll work around it. I have been getting good at doing that. I have classes is the only thing, a request from my players, so rangers get a special long range arrow ability, and warriors get a lunging ability, and some other stuff. I am just trying to get it all to work together.

9. Offline

Raycrash

Is there a way to stop double/triple drops from user placed blocks ? (dont know if minecraft internally saves if a block was set by a user or not)
    and as an Admin I got acces to double drop all the time ?

Edit: I want to use the planned features for all players even admins.
    (so I dont have double drop)

Edit2: it seems only cobblestone is dropped twice really often
    edit3: not only coble aswell... but wood too

10. Offline

TheTennessee

Alright, seems most of it is working. The only thing right now is that when using the armageddon attacks, I am getting spammed with this damage message. Notably, it's been very useful, although I would like to be able to turn it off.

See, it is showing:

2011-07-22 13:46:16 [INFO] [sRPG] Target of attack has 0 health.
    2011-07-22 13:46:16 [INFO] [sRPG] combat resolved, damage changed to 2
    2011-07-22 13:46:16 [INFO] [sRPG] id of damaged entity: 371

Over and over. What bothers me is that Armageddon uses snowballs to deliver its attacks, so I have no idea where it is getting damage values for them, unless it is using the fist damage for it (only thing set to 2). I am going to keep messing with it for now, but it's just weirding me out where it's getting a damage value for it.

And when I put override: true under fist, it gives me mostly 0's for the damage, but every now and then, it is a 6. I'm definitely confused here.

Nevermind, my issue doesn't seem to be your plugin at all. It's in the other one. Sorry to bother you with it. I see now why it broke, it was just when I updated to 1000 period. Thanks for getting the bow damage fixed though.

11. Offline

zaph34r

@Raycrash
    user placed blocks are treated regularly for now, but will be handled later on
    i'm not sure why you would get more than normal double drops, so i will investigate that

@TheTennessee
    the damage message spam is actually a debug message that should not be enabled by default :) maybe i forgot to flip some switch in code, you can disable it manually via "srpg debug combat" from the console (toggles the setting)
    Snow balls shouldn't be handled by srpg, although i haven't tested them :) the combat resolution part comes from the fact that any attack against an entity by another entity is treated as combat, and the regular chance for critical hit applies, but in cases where no defined tool is used it uses vanilla damage as its base

12. Offline

TheTennessee

Yeah, I started to figure out how that worked. I turned fist to override: true anyways just because there's another plugin that handles the damage values better (increasingly effective unarmed combat). But yeah, it seems that Armageddon doesn't work properly in CB 1000, even though it said it was updated to it. It doesn't seem that sRPG was overriding it. Thanks for the info on the command, it is actually -really- useful to have that info sometimes. I've been able to test compatibility and behavior with those messages enabled.

Edit: Even with it turned to false, I am actually still getting "[INFO] [sRPG] ENTITY_DAMAGE" alot in the console. It at least turned off the majority of it.

13. Offline

RugRats

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to use this once you fix up some of those bugs :D

14. Offline

TheTennessee

Use it now, it's worth it even with a few glitches.

15. Offline

zaph34r

@TheTennessee
    in that case i did upload the build before i thought of deactivating the debug messages :rolleyes: and i was sure it was the other way round :D i'll drop a note when i upload a build without that.
    you can btw also use "srpg debug player" to get playerrelated messages, although off the top of my hat i can't tell you all things that entails :)

EDIT: the current version is updated with the removed debug line

16. Offline

Raycrash

Good thing, so item duplication is still a great problem....I dont want my players to get infinite iron or other items ;)
    After that is fixed we will use it.

It seems to be a problem with tools....with a stone pickaxe I get twice the stone and with an axe I get double wood
    (shovel doesnt give double drop though and I didnt test all tools)
    Maybe just the config is a little buggy?

Edit:
    I changed the config now to 0 double/triple drops.

maybe you got something in your plugin wrong, my guess would be some bool's turning always true ;)

17. Offline

zaph34r

hm, weird, i'll look into it.
    EDIT: i think i found it, will be fixed in a few minutes i hope :)
    EDIT2: uploaded build is updated, double drop issue fixed

on the matter of placed blocks, i was thinking of blocking double and triple drops on newly placed blocks for a certain time after being placed (like, a few minutes or whatever), that way it's relatively easy to implement, should be light on the resources, and while not completely preventing abuse, it makes it very tedious :D even better would be if i find some built-in way to check if a block is user-placed, in that case it would be even easier and more robust, but i'm not sure if there is something like that.

18. Offline

TheTennessee

@zaph34r If you add a config for what blocks you check for newly placed on, it should help hosts balance the potential resources taken up with what they want to be watched. After all, with cobblestone generators, most servers might not care about being able to double drop stone/cobblestone. Eliminate that and the resources you are looking at are rather small. Mostly just placed wood blocks, and placed ore blocks.

19. Offline

Raycrash

Thanksm ate gonna test it out now !
    Also I could live with both ways, but a filter like tennessee requested would be nice.

Now onto the active abilities ;D

20. Offline

zaph34r

a filter like suggested is being worked on :) it won't be persistent over server restarts for now, that will come later.

on the active ability front, those got pushed back a little bit for more work on fundamentals that are needed for some of the active abilities, as well as future features. Already working is the generic implementation of buffs including some test buffs, as well as part of the active ability effects :) for those who want to play arround the current build from github or the unstable build, there are 3 commands to test the buffs (entered from console)
    Code:
    'srpg enrage [player]' 100% crit chance for the specified player for 10 seconds
    'srpg poison [player] [x]' poisons a player (does x damage every second) for 5 seconds
    'srpg debug spawninvincible' spawns every creature with 10 second combat invincibility (should not include falling damage or other damage causes)

crckdns likes this.
  21. Offline

RugRats

How goes the bug fixing :eek:? You should also add a donate button.

22. Offline

zaph34r

i wouldn't even know how i should receive donations :D nor would i really want any, i'm doing this as a hobby after all :)

There should be not a lot of gamebreaking bugs, apart maybe from in the nether, which i still haven't tested yet (if anyone wants to post experiences while using the nether with this, it is much appreciated, including any error messages). But i would not recommend deployment on a live server yet unless all users are aware (and ok with the fact) that it's basically a testrun, and they may lose progress when stuff gets changed around :) And stuff will get changed around a lot in the coming versions, changed for the better of course :D

To those who already tested it on their servers, apart from those things already mentioned in the last few posts here, are there any really pressing issues that need fixing asap?

On another note, check out the Aether Mod if you haven't already, really mindblowing what they have done there. I will try to not let it slow down development too much ;) Too bad there's no way (yet? hope dies last ..) of taking it into SMP

23. Offline

TheTennessee

I am still testing the override feature right now. Thing is, I want to be able to allow certain classes to still use special attacks from other plugins. That's like the only thing. I still have alot of testing to do, but essentially warriors have energy blade, and rogues have backstab which increase damage. I think that's the ONLY thing I am still working on making compatible.

My server is a small server, only close friends. The IP/port is not public knowledge. I can always manually adjust stuff in the SQL when there are updates for the plugin that make players lose progress. So we'll be testing the crap out of it still. Everyone loves the plugin, so any bugs aside, we still would prefer to have it.

I haven't noticed anything else yet though. I have been in the nether alot actually and not seen any bugs yet. Ghasts seem to be working great too. I'll let you know if anything shows up in the console or any of my players report anything.

24. Offline

zaph34r

selectively disabling abilities won't be a big problem when the yet unrevealed skill system rewrite hits, so look forward to it :) you may even not need those other plugins at all anymore..

regarding the nether, that's nice to hear, let me know if you get any weird behaviour with certain blocks, because i don't think i included the nether blocks in every part where it should be, like double drops or stuff like that. but if that's really everything, it's easily remedied.

25. Offline

Raycrash

Why you want to rewrite the skill system ? I actually quiete liked the "linear" progression

26. Offline

zaph34r

the rewrite is meant to make it more flexible for server admins when it comes to customizing it to fit their needs, increase the amount of stuff (and choice) available to the users, in a way giving customization to users as well (in the bounds of what is specified by the admin), as well as reduce chat commands (something i would like to completely do without but that will probably not work out). It may be a radical change to the current system, but i will try to keep it at least as interesting, i would like to think it will be way more so :)

27. Offline

Raycrash

Code:
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:361)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:451)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:105)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:85)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
    at net.minecraft.server.Packet14BlockDig.a(SourceFile:42)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:461)
    at net.minecraft.server.ItemInWorldManager.a(ItemInWorldManager.java:121)
    at net.minecraft.server.ItemInWorldManager.c(ItemInWorldManager.java:157)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:332)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:58)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$36.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:490)
    at com.behindthemirrors.minecraft.sRPG.BlockEventListener.onBlockBreak(BlockEventListener.java:54)
    at com.behindthemirrors.minecraft.sRPG.PassiveAbility.trigger(PassiveAbility.java:92)
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    > 22:42:09 [SEVERE] Could not pass event BLOCK_BREAK to sRPG 

28. Offline

TheTennessee

@Raycrash I am going to be helpful to the modder here and go ahead and ask for him, what is this doing inside the server? Are you getting the error but no behaviors in the server itself?

Slight bug I've noticed. I have been upping my reflexes alot lately, and it seems like I am not really evading attacks, or not completely negating them one. It says I have evaded an attack, but then I take damage anyhow. I have noticed this several times actually.

29. Offline

Raycrash

"> 22:42:09 [SEVERE] Could not pass event BLOCK_BREAK to sRPG "
    only saw it in console but I think that explains it I guess

30. Offline

zaph34r

what kind of block did you break, and what were the circumstances?

@TheTennessee
    i'll look for something i might have missed in the evasion code. Do you by any chance know if you took full damage, or part of it instead of it being completely mitigated?
    In any case, as quite a fraction of the code will be changed in the next release, chances are the bug is then gone :) or replaced by a new one ;)

31. Offline

TheTennessee

Ah, yeah... sounds like a pretty minor thing. I've had that before, but without any odd behavior in world, I chalked it up to it being an Alpha build. Annoying sometimes, but since it doesn't seem to have any effect, I'm not worried.

It seemed like only partial. It happens alot with arrows, and I also noticed it when a zombie fell on me, which got me thinking that maybe it was blocking the damage, and therefore not making me take damage, but in the next tick of collision detection because of that momentum (falling zombie/arrow) that it still did damage because in that second tick I didn't evade.

It's hard for me to test it, I just know that I am still taking damage after it telling me I evaded. I'll keep an eye on it though. I'm up to level 8 Reflexes now. So... I should be getting to see it more and more.