[RPG/MECH/SPOUT] OblitusCraft - A large, ambitious RPG project in the works.

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by DrBowe, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DrBowe

What is OblitusCraft?
    OblitusCraft is, at the very heart of it, a project of mine that was originally designed to be a private plugin for use on my own server. Being a huge advocate of Guild Wars, I wanted to create a unique RPG plugin that used a system very similar to that of Guild Wars, whilst adding my own ideas along the way. It is essentially the largest project I've ever taken on, and is taking a rather long time to complete. However, I finally have some work to show off to the public, and I also thought this would be a rather good example of just what SpoutPlugin/SpoutCraft can accomplish if given the proper thought.

As for deciding against making it private, I figured it'd be selfish to keep this plugin to myself as opposed to releasing it out to the current Spout supporters, as a testament to why Spout truly is worth downloading a client for.

A List of Caveats:
    Show Spoiler

• This is not a single plugin. This is a suite of plugins, all designed to add more of an MMORPG feel to the server.
    • Before any name calling or 'insulting of the mothers' begins, I am well aware of Windwaker 's GuildCraft. I actually considered working with him on the project, but our ideas were too far apart to make a clean unison.
    • Seeing as this is essentially being developed to suit my own server's needs, do not expect compatibility tweaks so it will work with other RPG plugins (I'm looking at you, mcMMO). If it becomes a problem, I will try and provide a simple API to hook into, though I doubt other plugins would be willing to use it.
    • This plugin is a reflection of what I feel to be a fun system. Do not expect anything nearly as customizable as Heroes
    • It is a work in progress. Anything I show you, let you test, or even let you ponder about? All are subject to change.

Current Team:
    • DrBowe (me, myself, and I) - Handling any and all coding aspects
    • steaks4uce - Handling graphical aspects
    Features (Typical color key: DONE | IN PROGRESS | NOT STARTED)
    • An interactive HUD to allow for a unique method of viewing your current status (Currently undergoing redesign by steaks4uce)
    • A GUI to assist with character management (Classes, skills, attributes, etc)
    • A framework that tries as hard as possible to remain true to its Guild Wars inspiration (More on this below)
    • A completely overridden damage system. (Yikes, you mean this will not be compatible with 99% of the plugins that affect damage? Yes and no, it depends. )
    There are other things that I plan on adding, but they are so far off in development that I see no need in listing them yet.

What is a 'Guild Wars System'?
    Show Spoiler

For starters, here is something that I whipped up when I first started development of this. Feast upon it for a very brief overview of the system:
    http://i.imgur.com/1DHEY.png
    Now, for a more in-depth explanation to walk you through the system:
    • First up is classes. Players will start off by choosing a class that will help to define the combat style of each individual. Classes are comprised of 4 attributes--3 of which are generic attributes, and one that is only accessible if it is the player's primary class. This is to make sure that secondary classes (which are also available to the player) do not come with the full capabilities of a primary class. What do attributes do, however? That's covered next:
    • Attributes are areas that the player can put 'mastery points' into. Each attribute is linked to a set of skills, and putting points into said attribute will increase the power of all the skills that are linked to it. If you had a skill to summon a minion, and this skill was labeled under the 'Necrotics' attribute, then putting points into Necrotics would increase the power/duration of your Minion skill. With the player having both a primary and secondary class, they would have 7 attributes to divide their points into. Players can rearrange their mastery points at any point in time, without restriction.
    • The leveling system will ultimately be decided by combat, minecrafty things, and (once I get around to it) quests. Leveling provides the players with 2 bonuses (in addition to greater health pools): Mastery Points and Skill Points. While I've already covered mastery points, skill points are what players use to learn new skills. There are no level restrictions (currently) to skills in this plugin, allowing players to pick their skill set as they progress through the ranks, as opposed to being thrown random skills.
    • Skills are handled in a rather unique way as well. At any given point in time, the player can only have 4(# subject to change) skills slotted for use. This allows players to limit their selections and choose their skills/mastery points wisely.

Official Test Server IP: [Not Running Right Now]
    [YOU NEED SPOUTCRAFT TO EXPERIENCE THE CHANGES]
    Current Build Notes (For Test Server):

Build v0.0.2a
    • Updated to support 1.1 clients
    • Made several internal improvements to the overridden damage system
    • Death Events should be handled in a much more solid manner
    • Replaced 'Shadow Step' with 'Vampiric Gaze', which is an instant-cast spell to steal 10 health from your target
    • Introduced framework for Mob Management
      • All mob health is tracked through an overridden system
      • Mobs are spawned with a random level from 1-10, levels affect both health and damage. Unfortunately, there is no visible indicator of a mob's level as of yet, so you have to tell the difference via how hard it is to fight them
      • Added framework for mob-spells (very experimental concept, at the moment)
    Older Builds (open)

Build v0.0.1a
    • You need SpoutCraft to see anything (Hopefully this goes without saying)
    • HUD is being redesigned. Yes, it's large and clunky. I just need feedback on whether or not it's functional at the moment :p
    • You join slotted with 4 skills, 1 from each class (Elementalist, Assassin, Necrolyte, Monk). This is for testing purposes, you can not choose your class/skills yet. As for the skills themselves:
      • Flare - Shoots a projectile at your target, harming them for 7 damage (With no mastery points, damages are static currently) (Cooldown: 2 seconds)
      • Shadow Step - Teleport to your target in a puff of smoke (Cooldown: 5 seconds)
      • Life Siphon - For 10 seconds, every 2 seconds your target will lose 2 health and you will gain 2 health (Cooldown: 10 seconds)
      • Healing Breeze - For 8 seconds, every 1 second you will be healed for 2 health (Cooldown: 0)
    • All of the above (save for Healing Breeze) require you to be aiming at a target that's within 15 blocks. Life Siphon has a casting time (3 seconds), with a rather glitchy status bar to boot
    • You -MUST- use keybinds to cast/switch spells, at the moment. 'R' to rotate spells on the skill bar, and 'C' to cast the selected skill. The selected skill is highlighted in yellow
    • Things are very glitchy at the moment, but I need feedback on HUD/casting interfaces (functionality, not how pretty it looks). Also, any feedback on spells bugging out would be nice as well.

Current Suite Members:
    • OlbitusCore.jar
    • OblitusHUD.jar
    • OblitusDamage.jar
    Other Stuff:

Here, have a screenshot of the HUD (currently being redesigned by steaks4uce):
    [​IMG]

Video that includes an older version of the HUD, but also gives visible examples of it updating properly with damage (This video does not center on this plugin, only includes aspects of it):
    Show Spoiler

So...yeah.
    Thoughts?

Arbenn, kahlilnc and DrAgonmoray like this.
  2. Offline

TheFieldZy

What are those in the boxes? Are those what I think they are... Skills!? That's awesome. Just to let you know, I will be following this as close as a stalker follows a girl. Even though our server might not use it.

3. Offline

DrBowe

@TheFieldZy
    Yup, those would be skills. Granted, not all of them are functional yet...but in time :)

4. Offline

DrBowe

I'm going to go ahead and post a test server for the current builds. A few things to note:
    • You need SpoutCraft to see anything (Hopefully this goes without saying)
    • HUD is being redesigned. Yes, it's large and clunky. I just need feedback on whether or not it's functional at the moment :p
    • You join slotted with 4 skills, 1 from each class (Elementalist, Assassin, Necrolyte, Monk). This is for testing purposes, you can not choose your class/skills yet. As for the skills themselves:
      • Flare - Shoots a projectile at your target, harming them for 7 damage (With no mastery points, damages are static currently) (Cooldown: 2 seconds)
      • Shadow Step - Teleport to your target in a puff of smoke (Cooldown: 5 seconds)
      • Life Siphon - For 10 seconds, every 2 seconds your target will lose 2 health and you will gain 2 health (Cooldown: 10 seconds)
      • Healing Breeze - For 8 seconds, every 1 second you will be healed for 2 health (Cooldown: 0)
    • All of the above (save for Healing Breeze) require you to be aiming at a target that's within 15 blocks. Life Siphon has a casting time (3 seconds), with a rather glitchy status bar to boot
    • You -MUST- use keybinds to cast/switch spells, at the moment. 'R' to rotate spells on the skill bar, and 'C' to cast the selected skill. The selected skill is highlighted in yellow
    • Things are very glitchy at the moment, but I need feedback on HUD/casting interfaces (functionality, not how pretty it looks). Also, any feedback on spells bugging out would be nice as well.

5. Offline

Samkio

Just went on the test server. Seems like it's coming along nicely. :p
    Can't wait to see the finished product.

I did find some bugs however:
    • On Respawn original health and hunger bars return.
    • Expbar wasn't quite at the top (intentional?)
    • Hard to see if a spell is in cool down stage. Maybe make the image monotone when it cannot be used possibly (same with insufficient mana).
    • R and C are quite far apart. Not sure what it is in Guildwards but perhaps closer keys. ie Q and E rotate and R to cast. Not sure. I just felt it was weird xD
    • Fireball cast with flare?
    • And yeah Life Siphon bar is really glitchy. If you cast it many times it buggers up.
    • The size messes up on my 1820x1024 monitor (it's squished), not however on my 1680x1050. Possibly Spouts gui sizing thingy.
    Hope the feedback is good. xD
    Best of luck in the future
    Regards
    Samkio

6. Offline

DrBowe

Yeah, this is due to me not handling respawns very well yet. That's what I've been working on over the last few days, trying to perfect the overridden damage system.
    I know there's a glitch where things are placed at the wrong sections on the screen when the user tries to change the screen size, maybe that's what you saw? EXP bar should be just slightly below the top (enough room for number)
    Yeah, the cooldown system is done internally as of right now, but I've yet to link it to the HUD. I do plan on making spells visibly 'on cooldown' at some point. :) The text notifications are temporary
    You can actually rebind these using SpoutCraft. My original intent was to not override default MC keys originally, and let players choose their bindings from there. However, I do like the concept of having a key for both rotation directions
    Considered, and will likely use later on (Only issue is guaranteeing that the target is damaged, as opposed to basing it off whether or not the fireball collides)
    Yup. Still haven't put in a limit that says "Hey, stop casting another spell, you're already casting one stupid!" :p
    Again, I'm not sure if it's me or Spout, but I know there are strange re-sizing errors.
    It was excellent. I really appreciate it!

Samkio likes this.
  7. Offline

DrBowe

Updated server to allow 1.1 clients (finally)

Also threw up v0.0.2a, which displays the basic idea of mobs with random levels (with the unfortunate lack of visual display for said levels. Rest assured, it's in there)
    You can check the build notes in the OP for more info.

8. Offline

WimFris

It would be cool if you could switch skills by holding a key and scrolling, same for casting spells, holding a key and clicking. Very nice plugin anyway, I might set up a server for this :).

9. Offline

AnkinsGaming

I am very interested in this suite. I am determined to make my server the best RPG experience. So I would very much appreciate this!

10. Offline

--GJ--

DrBowe - Nice callout of mcMMO. What parts are you figuring will be issues?

11. Offline

DrBowe

I use an entirely overwritten damage system. It's not a problem with mcMMO, nor was it my intent to call it out in a negative light. I was simply implying that, being the most popular RPG plugin, many alternate plugins will get requests for compatibility with it.

And with an entirely overwritten damage system, that simply isn't feasible. Sorry if it came off as calling you guys out, I used mcMMO for quire some time myself and loved it ;)

12. Offline

--GJ--

Nah, it's all good. And yeah, I can see what you mean if you're completely overwriting the damage system.

13. Offline

OstlerDev

DrBowe I can offer a test server possibly if you wanted it, I own http://bukkitnode.com and so I could get you a developer server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.