[REQUEST] Hide Player Names

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by PatrickFreed, May 26, 2011.

1. Offline

PatrickFreed

I couldn't find it in the search so here it is:

Pretty simple: A plugin that hides the names above people's heads. (At least I think it's pretty simple)

At the moment, one of the HeroCraft people has a plugin that hides the name when crouching, could someone make a slightly different version that just hid it at all times?

Thanks

Karlkorv likes this.
  2. Offline

PatrickFreed

3. Offline

iPhysX

hmm, ill look into this :p

4. Offline

PatrickFreed

5. Offline

Tyrce111

I'de really like if a plugin such as this was created!! Maybe with the option of using a pumpkin as an identity mask.

This might be achievable by turning them into a person (with the same skin as the user) that has the name Stranger or something (maybe using mob disguise or something like that)

Also, maybe doing the previous idea, but instead, having no name? Would that just leave a very small transparent, letter-less name plate?

6. As far I know there's HeroSneak for that.

7. Offline

Karlkorv

i wan't this plugin, it would help ALL pvp servers to be a little bit better

8. Offline

Evenprime

Afaik name "hiding" is 100% related to sneaking. That means you can't hide names of players without making it look like they are sneaking. Also, there are lots of client mods that make the name visible again anyway, so you'd just give those who cheat even more advantage over those that don't, because the legal players no longer see their enemies, while the cheaters do as usual.

9. Offline

PatrickFreed

I assume its impossible for NoCheat to block said hack.

10. Offline

Evenprime

Correct. The only way to prevent people from using that hack would be to do something like "VanishNoPacket" does, completely hiding the player by stopping to send any information about them to other players. And that's not really practical.

11. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

http://dl.phozop.net/Nameless/Nameless.jar

Hide all names all the time

Players with nameless.see permission node can still see player names. Without, no names. (Does not hide or unhide names when you change permission)

12. Offline

Evenprime

That's quite an extreme measure, to never send players the (real) name of other players. Modified clients could however still just give players a random name in that case and display that all the time instead of the unknown real name.

Also, I'm a bit curious. Wouldn't that prevent people from seeing your correct skin? I believe the displayed skin is directly dependant on the name of the player, isn't it?

13. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Quite correct at all points. It's just a gimmick. ^_^

14. Offline

emericask8ur

15. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

If you force all your players to use spoutcraft then you can do it. But nobody wants that, and it's not hacker proof.

16. Offline

emericask8ur

We had a discussion with the admins/devs saying about my plugin request on Client/Server Checking for modded class files but thats a whooole diff story :p

17. Offline

PatrickFreed

On an unrelated note, 'congratulations' on staff.

emericask8ur likes this.