[REQ][FUN] Replace block by other on chunk generation

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Sphax, May 11, 2011.

1. Offline

Sphax

I would like to create a new world which would be very difficult to explore for my players and I would like this world having a special look.

For so, I would like to replace water by lava, sand by soul-sand, dirt&grass by gravel but coal-ore by diamond-ore...
    Maybe it would be possible to think about some other transformation which would change a lot the look of the world...

That would be great for some unique second/third world to explore. :p

As a bonus, changing the biome to another would be nice (allowing snow everywhere).
    As an extra bonus allow the customisation of the weather (more thunderstorm/rain&snow)...

:)

2. Offline

Sphax

Nobody are interested or is it impossible in Bukkit ?

This plugin would be wonderful to let us create some amazing unique worlds (deserts, snow, water filled, ...).

Currently, I'm using NBToolkit to do that but I must start a BAT evrytime users go too far away (and I don't want to limit them exploring the world...)

3. Offline

Sphax

*bump*

4. Offline

yottabyte

BiomeTerrain Mod?

5. Offline

Sphax

I don't know what is this mod... a link please ?

I've found "PhoenixTerrainMod.com" but I don't know how to use it and if it's what I want.

Thanks a lot for your help. :)

6. Offline

Shanev

I'd absolutely need such a plugin :) But not for general block replacement in the whole world, rather a replacement in a specific area. Means: Yo can select an area where you would be able to replace all of a block type by another block type.

I'd need it for my town server. My players build a town and are only allowed to build houses out of wood in the beginning. Then they can purchase upgrades, to upgrade their houses from wood to cobblestone to brick :)

7. Offline

DreadKyller

this could be done, fairly simply

Edit!

actually it seems harder than I thought, I thought I could just get the chunk and then the blocks in the chunk, but it not seem to work.

8. Offline

Shanev

maybe doing a /select command to select a cuboid area and then a /replace [ID] [ID] command

9. Offline

Sphax

I hope you'll still trying. :)
    I've tested BiomeTerrainMod but it's too far difficult to set it as I want and is finally too limited... A "simple" replace block operation would be great". :)

10. Offline

lordthree

Check out VoxelSniper. That's the Mod you need to do what your saying. All you have to do is select the replacement material and brush size, then click on what you want and It will simply replace them with the block item you want. I've used this A LOT.

Made a HUGE fortress out of cobblestone, but then I started building other sections with smooth stone. It would have taken me forever to replace all the original blocks, but with VoxelSniper I just put in the command and a couple quick blasts and it was all done.

11. Offline

0ffn00b

idk if this is possible since arent plugins loaded after world generation? just a thought im not sure if i know what im talking about tho.

12. Offline

DreadKyller

yes, plugins are loaded after worlds generation, however, the physical chinks are not loaded until there is actually someone in the game to see them. I can remember many times joining a server and having to wait 2 minutes for the ground to appear below me so I wouldn't fall into the void. The problem I'm having is that I can't seen to get the blocks in the chunk that loads, I'm sure there's a way, but I just don't know how.

Sphax likes this.
  13. Offline

bennyty

You could also look at WorldEdit for any thing to do with ANYTHING about cuboids and the world around you.

14. Offline

Sphax

I know.
    In fact, I used WorldEdit at the beginning but it's too long and the chunks which are too far away from the player are not affected by WorldEdit...
    Then I found another great tool which is NBToolkit and can process all the generated chunks in the world with a simple script (SH or BAT/CMD). It's cool but it's not automatic.

What I would like would be an "automatic" replacement, directly after a chunk is loaded and before it is sent to players (ideally).

@DreadKyller : Dynmap allows to draw a map after the chunks are loaded/generated. Knowing that it can access to each chunk and load them if necessary (for fullrender for example), I think it is possible to replace the blocks by others. But I don't know if it can be done before the chunk was sent to players and if it could be efficient...
    Maybe you can see that with @FrozenCow or @Mike Primm who have worked on Dynmap plugin ?
    I hope you'll find a solution and thanks for your great work. :)

15. Offline

DreadKyller

@Sphax in scripting the scripts run before the event to see if the event should continue, be changed, or canceled, the event onChunkLoad will run the script before a chunk loads, there I can edit it by getting the blocks from it, If I could find out how, before the chunk actually loaded. I belive Dynmap draws the chunk itself and not the individual blocks, I could be wrong.

16. Offline

Sphax

OK I understand that.
    You say "Dynmap draws the chunk itself and not the individual blocks" : How something can draw a chunk without drawing individual blocks ?

About dynmap I guessed that as soon as a plugin knows what is the ID of a block in a chunk (like dynmap which draws 4 pixels in a specific color for each block in a chunk), a plugin could replace it by another ? Do I guessed wrong ?