[REQ]A visual force field! (Formatted)

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by russjr08, May 11, 2012.

1. Offline

russjr08

Plugin category: Fun

Suggested name: VisualForce

A bit about me: I'm a new java developer (Slowly learning) and I run two Minecraft servers :)

What I want: I was playing around with WorldEdit earlier... and I had a great idea. What if you had a force field that created a visual guard with it (And powered by redstone)
    Seems like a really cool idea :D
    Ideas for commands: /vf on: Would allow you to place visual forcefield blocks (Maybe like clay, not used much)

Ideas for permissions:
    visualforce.bypass: default-op
    visualforce.use: default-all

When I'd like it by: Any time possible. Things take time :)

Similar plugin requests: None.

2. Offline

nala3

russjr08 what If it was invisible until you ran into it, then glass like rippled out for a bit kind of like how you can only see a force field when somebody touches them in the movies

3. Offline

russjr08

nala3 Ooh that would be cool too :D

4. Offline

nala3

Ikr, If I wasn't already working on like 3 things, I would totally give it a shot xD

5. Offline

colony88

That, I like!

6. Offline

DxDy

Sounds really cool. I'll do it.

7. Offline

russjr08

:D You deserve like 10 diamonds!

8. Offline

TobyG123

Let me just click "watch thread" here...

9. Offline

Andy3189

Thats a good idea ;)

10. Offline

colony88

Is this project dead?

11. Offline

gilbrilthor

Ill see if I can take a crack at it. Learning the basics of plugin dev, so don't expect much! ;)

hawkfalcon likes this.
  12. Offline

russjr08

13. Offline

Malikk

If none of you can figure this out, im totally doing it. lol

14. Offline

izak12345678910

So this plugin will have when a player does what ever command and they have a force field? thats invisible then lets say someone attacks or hits then or walks into them you see like glass appear in front of them? I can't wait for this to come out!

15. Offline

WMisiedjan

I think that a good developer and someone that whats to spend time into this can even make it so it's invisible but visible at the same time.

Like when you run to player you like get bounced back right? Developers can turn this off with code. And it should be possible to as well activate a bounce back at any time.

16. Offline

Malikk

Were I doing this, I would have probably a toggleable mode for when you place force field blocks. Once you finish building, it would remove all of the blocks, but save their locations. If any player steps onto one of those locations, push them back, and send client side block changes in a ripple pattern, depending on how many force field blocks are touching.

Continually checking player locations might be a bit server intensive, but it would be really freakin cool, lol

17. Offline

russjr08

It would look awesome :D maybe a config option could be implemented to do this or not.

18. Offline

gilbrilthor

u can try right now malikk, and if you would like some assistance, i wouldn't mind learning a thing or two. An honors thesis has most of my time right now :rolleyes:

19. Offline

Andy3189

If you want i would test it ;)

20. Offline

Malikk

I was kinda hoping someone else would try and fail, cuz I'm working on 3 other projects atm, lol.

Are you actually doing it?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  21. Offline

gilbrilthor

I'm working on it. I am taking a trip to see family, so I will be away from my devving computer till Sunday. I am finishing up the Force Field object and having trouble getting it to see the blocks that are placed for the corners. It will just take some time before I have a version that is testable.

Andy3189 When I get it working pretty well, I will definitely need assistance ironing out the bugs. I will also need a server with a bigger load on it than just me, so I can test and see if it cause problems with the duty cycle of the server.

22. Offline

Malikk

gilbrilthor

Would you have a problem with me making a completely separate attempt at this request? I just can't start on it right away.

gilbrilthor likes this.
  23. Offline

gilbrilthor

No problem at all. Worst case is that they have two plugins to choose from. And, what I hope to have is that we end up with a loose collab where we combine the best of both attempts into something (IMHO) freakin' awesome. I'm trying to wrap my head around the 3D space, as I have never dealt with 3D algorithms before. After that, it should be pretty simple to get it working. The big hurdle for me will be working with commands and permissions, because I don't really understand all that yet :D

24. Offline

Kane

I would love to see this plugin. Funny I actually made a video of looking for something like this:

25. Offline

gilbrilthor

Malikk You might run into trouble if you allow them to be arbitrarily placed. Someone could place two in such a way that the push back could force them into glitching or something like that. One of the things I thought of.

26. Offline

Deathmarine

It doesn't seem to hard to just use the portal block to not allow movement through unless in a obsidian portal design and make a switch or redstone activate or deactivate.

27. Offline

gilbrilthor

Yeah, that is what I intend to use for the default block. My difficulty is not in the coding of the effect, it is all the things surrounding it, plugin compatibility, permission use, commands, etc. I'm decent at writing algorithms, just having a hard time understanding the newest way to do that. Soo many tuts are outdated, but they say nothing of version. Wasted time and confusion surrounding the API. :confused:

28. Offline

gilbrilthor

Just an update on my progress. I have the basics of the force field working. You can set it and it bounces people back when they touch it. Working on the ripple effect right now. Still have to add permissions, clean up commands, allow multiple force fields, saving the force fields, powering the force fields and testing for stability.

Man, when I started writing that list, it seemed a lot shorter:(

gus likes this.
  29. Offline

izak12345678910

I saw a server that has a forcefield for areas where you place one(I think) then it goes invisible and if you walk into that area a glass square appears in your face no matter the hight it covers all from bedrock to sky level

30. I started working on a similar idea a few days ago already! I uploaded a preview to youtube to share, I still have to do hit testing and effects when the shield is hit and a player will need to build a generator, I am still undecided on how the mechanics of it will all work, eg shield strength, dissipation rate etc. But I'm working on it :D

Sorry no music, I was lazy :p